Age of the kids

fabio012

Would you have the age of the kids in the books to have been older. Like the Stark kids and Dany. I think I read a while ago that some people would have rather them be older sort of like how the show game of thrones portrays them. Because Arya seems way too young to be some kind of master assassin she needs like a good 8 years or more and it looks like that wont happen.

I think I would make them as old as they are on the show, yeah. So Robb, Jon and Dany are older teenagers, Joffrey in his mid-teens, Sansa young teenager, Arya in late pre-pubescence, Bran like 10 at the beginning, Rickon 6, etc.

I'm to the point where I picture them as older when I read the books. Otherwise you have 15-year-old Robb and Jon going on campaign, Arya the 9-year-old assassin, Bran the 8-year-old greenseer.

I'm sure I read that GRRM wanted them to age faster (as in have more time pass between certain events so each book would be 1 - 2 years) so that by book three they would be the age they are in the show. I have also heard that there was going to be a five year gap after book three.
But when he tried to write these he couldn't get them to work. I agree that the tv ages work better.

I always assumed that the kids were so young to reflect the norms of a medieval society. While going to war at 15 seems young to present day readers, it's repeatedly stated that Robb is just about a man grown. And when a girl is able to rear children she is considered a woman.

The protagonists extreme youth also makes the hardships they face seem more tragic..

Archived