Bakker XXIV: To Be Human is to Be Damned

lokisnow

Man I really want an Atrocity Tale set during Unifcation. Preferably from the point of view of a Mandate Schoolman. If the one that gets assigned to Sorweel is any indication, they're the most loyal of Kellhus' followers. I want to see how Kellhus converts the Mandate - no doubt initially they're willing to cooperate because he's got similar goals as them, but at one point do they become religious and convinced they're no longer damned?

Man I really want an Atrocity Tale set during Unifcation. Preferably from the point of view of a Mandate Schoolman. If the one that gets assigned to Sorweel is any indication, they're the most loyal of Kellhus' followers. I want to see how Kellhus converts the Mandate - no doubt initially they're willing to cooperate because he's got similar goals as them, but at one point do they become religious and convinced they're no longer damned?

I'd guess more than a few Mandati aren't overly convinced that Kellhus is a messiah, but they'll enjoy the prestige and glory of supposedly carrying his Word and preparing for his arrival.

Bet you get all the gents and ladies your genitals can handle for being a Mandate Schoolman.

Do we know if other Gods [other than Yatwer] are taking an active role in trying to stop/kill Kellhus?

No, in fact we don't even know how much the gods actually cooperate with each other. Kellhus seems to imply that everything in the Outside is at war with each other, but he may have been speaking metaphorically. I personally think the gods are basically "friends as long as its worth it". I think they're almost entirely self-interested.

They see Sranc as "false creatures" or something. I don't remember the exact wording, but they definitely see them, and they certainly see Aurang. The No-God is the only entity that seems outside their "vision".

if they see the Consult and Inchoroi you would think they would have acted against them trying to commit genocide and all.

Um. No. Why in the world couldn't they see sranc? They can see snakes and pigs. Your explanation itself raises new plot holes.

Who says snakes and pigs don't have souls?

They see Sranc as "false creatures" or something. I don't remember the exact wording, but they definitely see them, and they certainly see Aurang. The No-God is the only entity that seems outside their "vision".

In the scene where Sorweel points out the vast swathes of dead Sranc to the Yatwer-worshipping slave-dude as proof that Kellhus' Ordeal isn't false, the slave basically ignores the argument. I don't see any evidence the Gods can see Sranc.

if they see the Consult and Inchoroi you would think they would have acted against them trying to commit genocide and all.

Who says they didn't?

Regardless, the impression I have is that they simply don't see the Consult as a threat, because they can't see the No-God. That's what really matters. The only time the Consult (or the Inchoroi) has come remotely close to any kind of victory was when they had the No-God. In reality, the Inchoroi have spent most of their time on Earwa getting their asses handed to them.

Random question time. In TJE when they come across that Bloody Pick with the eyeball on his heart.

What's up with that? How did that eye get there? Who put it there? How? Was it sorcery, or Tekne? What was the point - was there one, since it seems like some sort of message is being conveyed (if it was just purely torment that was desired, there are ways to deliver it that aren't so odd and seemingly difficult)? Since the man already had his own eyes, whose eye was that anyway?

Random question time. In TJE when they come across that Bloody Pick with the eyeball on his heart.

What's up with that? How did that eye get there? Who put it there? How? Was it sorcery, or Tekne? What was the point - was there one, since it seems like some sort of message is being conveyed (if it was just purely torment that was desired, there are ways to deliver it that aren't so odd and seemingly difficult)? Since the man already had his own eyes, whose eye was that anyway?

I think (probably wrong) that it's just an eye that happened to leak through from the outside... that it could have happened to anyone that's damned. Kind of like catching a stray bullet or something.

White-Luck Zombie,

I think (probably wrong) that it's just an eye that happened to leak through from the outside...

Why would the Outside have an eye in it? Is it an eye that happened to leak through from the inside to the outside and then back to the inside again? Or is it one of the God's eyes that came through the way Mimara's Chorae turned into the eye of the God or whatever that was?

I thought the eye was the soul's. Soul is set in the heart so it grows an eye to see.

Pretty much this. We don't yet know the mechanics of it really, but I think that exposure to the Wight (and the frame of Hell he brought with him) caused those affected to "grows eyes in their hearts", meaning their soul. Again, during the sequence where the Wight is rising through the Screw and just before Mimara banishes him with the Chorae, the Skin-Eaters are freaking out about how they "look but can't see", or something along those lines. It's as if their third eye is opening, in their heart.

Perhaps a connection to the Cishaurim?

But why would it leak in from the Outside? I mean, it's a topos, but there was never anything like that happened when the Holy War went to that battleplain topos, and it doesn't happen to any of the Skin Eaters that we see. Why this one guy?

It is a bit of a coincidence though that this guy grows some weird soul-eye, and/or gets a god-eye stuck in him. And Mimara has her Judging Eye. How did she get hers? Maybe from birth? Maybe Esmenet's womb is a topos.

Archived