Bakker XXIV: To Be Human is to Be Damned

lokisnow

If Kellhus' motives were against humanity, he wouldn't need the Ordeal.

I question that actually, especially given their number (i.e., ~144,000). You are dismissing the possibility that the Consult needs the function that Kellhus has served in the story so far. Namely, uniting this disparate group under one banner by posing as a fake messiah and getting them to Golgotterath for some yet to be revealed purpose. The whole miracle with the heart might even be some Consult device we have not learned about.

If Kellhus' motives were against humanity, he wouldn't need the Ordeal. He could teleport up to Golgotterath and lend his expertise. He could show the Consult Ishual, show the Dunyain the Inverse Fire, have the Dunyain move into Golgotterath, and next thing you know, armored Sranc divisions are driving tanks through Momemn!* With the Dunyain, the Consult wouldn't need the No-God.

*Agongorea has oil, after all. It would be hilarious, I admit, if this little bit of descriptive scenery were actually foreshadowing by Bakker.

But the Consult have no way of knowing if the Dunyain could understand science to that level.

Heck, it's possible Aurang and Aurax aren't biologists, but just good at manipulating the programming language the Ark needs to produce weapon races.

Notice how there aren't - as one person put on Bakker's blog - any flesh eating beetles that can swarm the world and devour all soul possessing beings.

Are we talking about the Gnosis here?

Nope. Normal Dunyain level slight of hand. He takes it out of her chest during the many hours of darkness. He hides it up his butt. His friends cut him down and wrap him in a blanket. He takes heart out of his butt, pretends to pull it from his own chest an holds it up in the air with an abracadabra.

But how did he pull her heart out of his chest?

An idea is that in the same way that blind men occasionally, under great emotional pressure, produce miracles (leading to the cish), Kellhus was under great emotional pressure at that moment (like, he aught to be dead, by his own estimate) and performed a miracle. It might not even have been Serwe's literal heart but one conjured.

Early in the series when Cnaiur fights Kellhus, Cnaiur's arm seems to pass through Kellhus's block and hit him - I'm thinking this was an early teaser example of passion driven Earwa miracles, as Cnaiur was so enraged at that point.

(which then will all tumble down when we find they are on a massive nano machine planet...or that's my guess)

Archived