Second Game of Thrones Trailer Premieres

Westeros

Yeah, kinda…but it's a promo, it's always gonna make the show look more action-packed than it is; my main problem with the trailers, and this latest one (the subject of the thread title) in particular, is the music. I consider myself quite the trailer music expert :cool4: and I don't feel like the music they use in trailers does the series justice: it's too modern and upbeat, somehow, I prefer instrumental/orchestral music in trailers. Or at least something out of the brilliant GoT soundtrack.

The best music in trailers is always the one in the movie itself..

I recently rewatched the s2 or s3 trailer, starting with that high voice chorus thing before varys starts his "power is a curious" line and I melted into this trailer, but then, and I actually like her much, but then came florence and the machine, and it just made me like the bowl of petunias saying "Oh, not again"

The best trailer is really to Mononoke. That could also be used for got, the music I mean. The whole setup. a wise old man saying a line and pictures of the locations and very few action.

Give chills to the viewer but not by showing epic action, but by hinting things. The scariest monster is always the one you don't see.

So my point : Cut it out with 21century rock music and give us Ramin Djawadi with his epic music.

Or put the Rains of castamere on the trailer sung by the national or whoever it was and show pictures, but no sound to the pictures. That would be epic :)

The best music in trailers is always the one in the movie itself..

I recently rewatched the s2 or s3 trailer, starting with that high voice chorus thing before varys starts his "power is a curious" line and I melted into this trailer, but then, and I actually like her much, but then came florence and the machine, and it just made me like the bowl of petunias saying "Oh, not again"

The best trailer is really to Mononoke. That could also be used for got, the music I mean. The whole setup. a wise old man saying a line and pictures of the locations and very few action.

Give chills to the viewer but not by showing epic action, but by hinting things. The scariest monster is always the one you don't see.

So my point : Cut it out with 21century rock music and give us Ramin Djawadi with his epic music.

Or put the Rains of castamere on the trailer sung by the national or whoever it was and show pictures, but no sound to the pictures. That would be epic :)

You mean something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFkGnDTAaHI

Yes! :)

But waaaay slower, the pictures I mean.

Or someone reading Ozymandias, probably changing the name, over pictures.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Joffrey/Aegon
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Yes! :)

But waaaay slower, the pictures I mean.

Or someone reading Ozymandias, probably changing the name, over pictures.

I met a traveller from an antique land

Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:

"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Joffrey/Aegon

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away

Well, I can't really see that happening: Ozymandias has nothing to do with GoT, and monologues from things that are not related to the material they're working with wouldn't really work for a modern trailer (especially for something like GoT). However, I'd love to see more trailers with music from the show; this is by far my favorite fan-made season 4 trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G2rHi6sJ-4

Ozymandias was great for Breaking Bad, I understand why it fits thematically with Game of Thrones but it would be a bit hokey to do it after Breaking Bad already did it. Besides I don't like mixing up Westeros and the real world too much even if it is just a trailer. I still see season 1 as the gold standard for promos and trailers. They did a great job of making you curious about the Game of Thrones universe while at the same time setting a tone that matched the tone of the series.

Archived