Fashion - Fire and Blood Edition

karaddin

Most retail chains with tall sizes go up to 35-36" inseams, whereas I need at least 37". And it's even harder to find a jacket that is proportioned right between sleeves/shoulders/waists. So finding a jacket/pants combo that matches is nigh-on impossible! But I appreciate all of your suggestions. I do find new sites from time to time that help me out. Just last month I found a small site that enabled to get my first ever pajama pants that are long enough!

Oh, rats. I thought I had found the perfect answer. I went back on the Talbots website and saw that even their Long wasn't quite long enough.

Sometimes if the hems are generous enough, you can squeak out an extra inch or two.

But it must be terribly frustrating.

Oh, my gods and little fishes. This thread (or Pod) has forced me to peruse the Talbots website, which I had sworn not to do.Now I've stumbled upon THIS creation of Satan:http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?zoomImage=41061004&id=prdi32416&rootCategory=cat70016&catId=cat80042&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70016&rootConcept=and I can think of nothing else. :bawl: :tantrum:

That is so very adorable....I love it.

Your links take me to Monsoon's home page - that's it. :(

Deedles, you dress well, cook like a dream...will you marry me? :D

The link didn't work for me the first time either, but worked when I clicked again. Perhaps the cookie had to register?

And Elder Sister? Lay off Deedles, please, I claimed her a long time ago. :p

Am sad now. :(

Oh, rats. I thought I had found the perfect answer. I went back on the Talbots website and saw that even their Long wasn't quite long enough.

Sometimes if the hems are generous enough, you can squeak out an extra inch or two.

But it must be terribly frustrating.

I am truly a freak of nature! I am just lucky that nowadays with the internet I can actually find a few things!

That Lydia print dress is adorable! (And yeah, the site had to register cookies before the links would work.)

I think there's maybe five people in the entire world who have upper bodies proportioned exactly right for what you can find in most stores. I'm almost exactly average in build so you'd think I would have no problems finding things that fit me, but there's always something wrong. Things that are wide enough in the shoulders typically have arms that are too long or they are too wide around my torso, and if the arms and torso are good it never fits over the shoulders.

Who are these people they size clothes for?

This is very true! Often people advise getting off-the-rack clothes tailored, but I find that unfortunately most of the alterations I need require more cloth than is available. Also I think I am overly sensitive to having sleeves that are a tad too short, etc, because I have so frequently been forced to wear things that don't quite fit. Especially when I was younger. We weren't a very wealthy family, and my mom used to sew ribbons and lengths of denim onto the bottom of my jeans to make them fit, which is pretty horrible for a middle schooler/high schooler. Especially when the jeans being modified are from goodwill to begin with.

I am truly a freak of nature! I am just lucky that nowadays with the internet I can actually find a few things!

That Lydia print dress is adorable! (And yeah, the site had to register cookies before the links would work.)

This is very true! Often people advise getting off-the-rack clothes tailored, but I find that unfortunately most of the alterations I need require more cloth than is available. Also I think I am overly sensitive to having sleeves that are a tad too short, etc, because I have so frequently been forced to wear things that don't quite fit. Especially when I was younger. We weren't a very wealthy family, and my mom used to sew ribbons and lengths of denim onto the bottom of my jeans to make them fit, which is pretty horrible for a middle schooler/high schooler. Especially when the jeans being modified are from goodwill to begin with.

You are NOT a freak of nature! In an unfallen world, all of us shorties would be able to be right up there with you!

I've noticed on the Talbots and other websites, the models generally wear the sleeves pushed up - I'm supposing to allow for the fact that the jackets/shirts/tops aren't fitting them properly.

It looks cool, anyway.

I'm rarely able to just buy clothes and wear them. I frequently have to get them tailored. Bizarrely, most pants have to be taken up on me which makes no sense since I wear a 35" inseam. (I basically never believe the inseam length a website lists as it rarely actually is that length.) I have a long torso but short arms so sleeves always have to be taken up unless I buy men's shirts with the specific arm length, which I do frequently. I find I have better luck men's clothes in general since they can be so specific to length. I wish women's clothes were sold that way.

I ordered this dress last week and it arrived a couple of days ago, but I've been too worried to take it out of the packaging because after my shopping glow, I realise this dress is probably a little bit too lovely to look all that nice on me. :P But we shall see, methinks I'll try it on tomorrow properly (I mean, I thought it for Friday night!)

Archived