Jaime and Genna

OberynBA

Lady Genna had a conversation with Jaime before the parley at Riverrun.

She talks to Jaime about the foolish decisions taken by Queen Cersei and then she goes:

You smile like Gerion and fight likeTyg, and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak... but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you.

Is Lady Genna implying the obvious or is she questioning the parentage of Jaime?

I think that she is just stating the obvious, that Tyrion is the one of the three children of Tywin who takes after him the most.

That said, these books do have plenty of twists and turns that in hindsight were spelled out for you. It certainly could be that Cersei and Jaime are not Tywin's children, but I think that is unlikely. They have the Lannister features, their personalities resemble those of other members of the Lannister family tree (just not their father), and I just don't see the plot taking that big of a jump sideways this far into the series.

Just my $0.02!

I was perplexed at first read as well, reading it as if maybe Jaime was not Tywin's son, but, I think Flummoxed has the right of it. Lady Genna is comparing various attributes of members of the Lanister family that have showed up in Tywin's children. I think her main point here is the brains and cunning of Tywin are most seen in Tyrion, and that Jaime, while blessed with other skills sets, does not show that same cunning.

Archived