Bakker XXV: A Few Questions

SilentRoamer

If it turns out that Kellhus becomes the No-God and history repeats itself, doesn't that sort of answer everything? The final two books can be the quest for the Heron Spear and so on.

I thought it was "Fuck you, Feminists!'

"Fuck You Femtards" was already taken I presume? I'd assume he'd want to recall an example of him - how did he put it? - "fighting REAL misogyny on his blog"?

If it turns out that Kellhus becomes the No-God and history repeats itself, doesn't that sort of answer everything? The final two books can be the quest for the Heron Spear and so on.

Well I don't know if Kellhus will become the No-God but I do wonder if all the metaphysical mysteries will largely be wrapped up by the end of TUC.

If the last two books are just a straight up adventure I don't know how much I'd anticipate them.

Wild guess: at the end of TUC Kellhus is killed (probably by Proyas) and we're left with the question of whether he 'ascended' or not. The 3rd series will answer that, (the answer won't be in the title though).

The prince of nothing, the aspect-emperor, last trilogy...,...the second apocalypse. I see people call the second installment the second apocalypse, its not. Its the aspect-emperor series.

As I understand it, the series itself, in totality, is called The Second Apocalypse, whereas as the first subdivision is titled The Prince of Nothing and the second is titled The Aspect-Emperor.

My guess is that the the third will be called The No-God, thereby keeping the pattern of naming each after Kellhus.

Well I don't know if Kellhus will become the No-God but I do wonder if all the metaphysical mysteries will largely be wrapped up by the end of TUC.

If the last two books are just a straight up adventure I don't know how much I'd anticipate them.

You know, from purely a sales perspective, he really should have done things in reverse, with the books starting as a straight up adventure story that became progressively more complex as it went on. The metaphysical milieu would have steadily increased with each new book. This way, casual readers wouldn't have been so scared off. Instead, the general consensus seems to be that the second trilogy is far less complex than the first.

The ordeal or kellhus who controls it, doesn't stop the resurrection of the no-god or is part if it....hence the second apocalypse.

Yes, but as I was saying before, I believe the series itself is already called The Second Apocalypse.

Someone asked on TUC announcement if "there will be a sample chapter sometime soon.", and Bakker said,

Yes – which reminds me that I need to get a hold of Pat, wherever he is, galavanting around the world…

I'm guessing it's the same chapter 1 but complete this time.

@faint, oh ok. I understand, sorry for the confusion. And I've also thought of that title for the series. But not in the sense that you have. And it fits in with my thinking that kellhus is trading alliances. I don't know if he needs the no-god to reach the absolute or he'll actually be the no-god reincarnate.

Edit:spelling (cell is a pain)

To expand on what Wert said, here's the exact quote (from a response Bakker left on a blog post of his from when he finished the 1st draft of The Unholy Consult http://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/the-four-goads-at-the-crossroads/ ):

"Thanks, litg. The end of TAE is the end of the tale as I originally conceived it decades ago. All the plot threads from the two trilogies are cinched into a kind of Gordian knot (I fear you’ll have to wait to see what I mean). Fate had forbidden any mention of the two books I have planned after this."

So read into that what you will.

Yeah, that quote is not from too long ago and it seemed quite unambiguous in saying that the story as originally conceived ends with the sixth book, The Unholy Consult.

But Scot's comment in his latest blog post does leave an opening for possibly more books. But I have no idea if Scott is under contract for more than the Aspect Emperor series. Personally I am definitely regarding the 6th book as the last one, until we hear from Scott that he is in fact planning and publishing more books.

Someone asked on TUC announcement if "there will be a sample chapter sometime soon.", and Bakker said,

I'm guessing it's the same chapter 1 but complete this time.

Oh shi, someone turn Pat Signal!

Instead, the general consensus seems to be that the second trilogy is far less complex than the first.

I suspect there's philosophizing in the second trilogy, but at the same time a lot of the metaphysics are in the second trilogy.

Without the second trilogy, is there much in the first trilogy that is complex in terms of the Bakkerverse's metaphysics?

I suspect there's philosophizing in the second trilogy, but at the same time a lot of the metaphysics are in the second trilogy.

Without the second trilogy, is there much in the first trilogy that is complex in terms of the Bakkerverse's metaphysics?

Not really. The first trilogy I'd say is alot less philosophy-esque and the metaphysics and such are fairly clearly defined and simple.

I thought there was a lot more philosophising in the 1st trilogy than in the 2nd. As for the metaphysics there is more info on it in the 2nd trilogy but I don't think in the first it was clearly defined or simple.

I thought there was a lot more philosophising in the 1st trilogy than in the 2nd. As for the metaphysics there is more info on it in the 2nd trilogy but I don't think in the first it was clearly defined or simple.

Without the 2nd trilogy the gods are sort of vaguely there. We know the Inchies want to shut the gate but even in TTT it's unclear if this is necessarily real or just delusional hope on the part of the Inchies.

Damnation isn't even made completely clear until we get to Mimara and her Judging Eye. Before that we had Iyokus claim he was damned ("such is my fate!") to the demon he summoned to hunt Akka in TWP, but we also had the quote where if sorcerers cheat God's rules then who wrote the rules to sorcery?

Instead, the general consensus seems to be that the second trilogy is far less complex than the first.

To some extent, readers who are bothered by complexity will be weeded out by the end of the first trilogy, so we will never hear their opinions of the second.

Archived