Bakker XXV: A Few Questions

SilentRoamer

Someone needs to draw some artwork depicting Golgotterath. I can't imagine it well. Agongorea - big flat plain with tar pits. Tundra, environment? A bunch of mountains. The Ark's horns. Those are the parts I imagine, but we're told Golgotterath also has fortifications thrown up around the Horns. What does it look like? We're told at one point that Golgotterath has ramparts. But wouldn't the mountains themselves function as ramparts? Moreover, the Mangaecca are from the Bronze Age. So it's not castle walls and crenellated battlements.

I take the “Horns” as not very literal. Think of the crashed spaceship at the beginning of Alien: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-N847SPjIiD4/T_BcsY39MjI/AAAAAAAAB3k/ylxos6tzb28/s640/2224741-alien19793.jpg

Except much bigger, of course. The Inchoship crashed at a more acute angle, driving itself much further into the mountain. Therefore all floors have become walls, for instances. Gates are all at the wrong place (having been windows or bulkheads before), so ramparts are thrown up to access the interior.

The fortifications could be put up both by the Inchoroi (as defences) and by the Nonmen and bronze age humans (as watch towers.)

I like his Nonman vs. Bashrag, though the Bashrag's hand holding the mace seems too well articulated. I always got the impression that Bashrag weren't very well-made, they're horribly put-together, but still manage to function. That isn't how I imagined Golgotterath at all. I imagine the ark as having being lodged into the mountains, rather than having a such a large crater around it. Is there a crater in the text?

I take the “Horns” as not very literal. Think of the crashed spaceship at the beginning of Alien: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-N847SPjIiD4/T_BcsY39MjI/AAAAAAAAB3k/ylxos6tzb28/s640/2224741-alien19793.jpg

Except much bigger, of course. The Inchoship crashed at a more acute angle, driving itself much further into the mountain. Therefore all floors have become walls, for instances. Gates are all at the wrong place (having been windows or bulkheads before), so ramparts are thrown up to access the interior.

The fortifications could be put up both by the Inchoroi (as defences) and by the Nonmen and bronze age humans (as watch towers.)

Yup, that's my impression as well. That picture from Alien is perfect for the idea. Just, you know, even more vertical.

Only if it fell completely unpowered.

They could even have used thrusters to make a softer landing. I don’t think we can derive any useful information from these comparisons (in particular, we’d need to know how much Bakker knows about impact events.)

Only if it fell completely unpowered.

If it went through the atmosphere without breaking up, and then simply crashed into the ground unpowered, it would be like a plane crash, but 1000X the mass and with more speed. No survivors.

I think we have to assume that they were capable of some navigation to make a somewhat controlled crash.

If it went through the atmosphere without breaking up, and then simply crashed into the ground unpowered, it would be like a plane crash, but 1000X the mass and with more speed. No survivors.

I think we have to assume that they were capable of some navigation to make a somewhat controlled crash.

Yup. If we are to apply physics to this crash (which we shouldn't, but still) then they had to be breaking like mad on descent.

Also, thinking about it more, I would almost guarentee that Alien and the imagery of the crashed ship were highly influential in at least the ideas behind the series. The Inchoroi themselves and the descriptions of the The Ark are just too close to those scenes in Alien.

Hate to be relatively small to not completely destroy the Nonmen on crashing (or be seen as a meteor)

Didn't the Nonmen and Inchoroi spend 20 years warring through the its halls? I took that as a comment on how big it is.

On a side note, how do we know that they didn't see it as a meteor?

test, can't seem to post anything

edit : test 2

edit 2: wtf, is going on. I can write small bits of text, but any attempt to add paragraphs of text whether via edit or by normally posting isn't working. Do posts have character limit now?

The Ark was large enough and hit hard enough that it kicked up enough dirt to bury Viri in ash. This map on Wikipedia shows how much ashfall Vesuvius put out. Based on the descriptions given in the False Sun:

staring southward across the heaving leagues of the Neleöst Sea,

To the west lay the River Sursa, whose rusty waters bloomed far into the Sea during day. Beyond it, the wastes of Agongorea plaited the horizon

con't:

It seems as though Viri sits in the spot as Dagliash does in this map. Dagliash was built centuries later, and given that Nogaral has a great view, I think it's safe to assume that Dagliash was built on the same spot, atop the ruins of Viri's collapsed mountain.

So looking at map, and if Agongorea was once the Hinterland of Viri, then the energy released in the Ark's crashing was maybe 100x greater than that released by Vesuvius, which was apparently according to Wikipedia

ultimately releasing a hundred thousand times the thermal energy released by the Hiroshima bombing. [/quote] That bomb released 67 TJ according to Wikipedia. Though the Vesuvius eruption's energy was qualified as being a multiple of Hiroshima's thermal energy, and not all of that energy released in that bomb was thermal but whatever. So we're looking at 670,000 TJ of energy. That's roughly 3x as much energy as released by the 2011 Japanese Tsunami earthquake.

If we assume all that energy was beforehand kinetic energy, then if we knew the velocity of the Ark, we could speculate the mass or vice versa, but I haven't got any estimates for either. If the Ark was small, it was going really damn fast.

edit: Whoops, messed up the math. 100,000 * Hiroshima = Vesuvius. Ark = 100*Vesuvius = 6.7 ^ 10 ^ 20 joules, which according to WolframAlpha is 1.1x the total amount of energy from the sun to the Earth in an hour. Hmm. That seems like a bit too much energy to be reasonable. May 10x Vesuvius would be more reasonable. But Agongorea seems a good 1,000 miles across or so.

Quick google search says the asteroid impact that killed the dinosaurs was 1,000,000,000 * hiroshima, so 100x the hypothetical ark impact. So... dunno. Is that reasonable? I guess. If Vesuvius is 10 miles of ashfall. And the Ark is 1,000 miles of ashfall. Then Dinosaur-asteroid being 100,000 miles of ashfall (or the equivalent) seems possible.

From the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars entry in the glossary,

The letter sent by Nin’janjin to Cû’jara-Cinmoi, the King of Siöl, is recorded as follows: The Sky has cracked into potter’s shards, Fire sweeps the compass of Heaven,

Survivors from the region spoke of a fiery vessel streaking across the skies.

"The Sky has cracked into potter's shards,

Fire sweeps the compass of Heaven,

Ash has shrouded all sun, choked all seed,

The Halaroi howl piteously at the Gates,

Dread Famine stalks my Mansion.

Brother Siöl, Viri begs your pardon"

It seems highly unlikely the Ark totally crash landed. I expect it managed to reverse some of its momentum or I would expect something of that size at an appropriate speed to cause an ELE. I think the Ark is probably at least the size of a city if you take into account the numbers of Inchoroi and the time the Nonmen take to war through its halls.

Of course we are all making the assumption of a space impact - I guess most of us are assuming Nail of Heaven = some sort of wormhole. Would be interesting if they actually flew to Earwa from the Outside and brought damnation with them! Long Phallus weilding bastards!

I have mentioned it before but the descripstion of Sils sheild: Paraphrasing " Two S curved against each other touching at the top hooked over an upside down V : ΩΛ Which is Omega Lambda. Omega Lambda is the Cosmological constant and relates to energy and critical density. Being a bit of an amateur Physics geek I found it REALLY odd that Sil had that on his shield!

ve mentioned it before but the descripstion of Sils sheild: Paraphrasing " Two S curved against each other touching at the top hooked over an upside down V : ΩΛ Which is Omega Lambda. Omega Lambda is the Cosmological constant and relates to energy and critical density. Being a bit of an amateur Physics geek I found it REALLY odd that Sil had that on his shield!
actually no, omega sub-lambda refers to the ratio of energy density that is attributed to the cosmological constant. Lambda by itself is the cosmological constant.

And those are some completely fucked up Ss if two Ss turn into Ω.

Archived