Amazed Cersei ignores this...

seraph26

Ok so this is my first post, I just finished AFOC, and am just starting A Dance with Dragons. But before I begin ADWD I have a few questions.

My first one (and maybe it is not a big deal) is why does Cersei allow the people of Dorne to use the titles "Prince" and "Princess"?

From everything that I have read up to this point, and the image that I have of her, it just seems hard to believe that someone as insecure, suspicious of others motives and as demanding as her that people recognize her superiority (my opinion) would actually allow anyone else to use those titles.

I am amazed that she doesn't see that as a threat to her, or her kids.

Anyone else have any opinions on this?

This always bothered me too, that all the kings since Daeron I allowed this to persist. But I suppose since the title is meaningless it doesn't matter. The lord of the Iron Isles is called "Lord Reaver", though he's forbidden from doing any reaving (atleast in Westeros). Besides, Cersei had bigger fish to fry than dornish honorary titles.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Cersei could if she wanted to. Tywin ran the Kingdom until his death, and for a short time, Tyrion as well. Tyrion gave Dorne Myrcella as insurance to keep them out of the War of Five Kings. It was the Lannisters who ordered the death of Elia Martell. Ordering Dorne to drop the prince titles would only antagonize them. Plus if you look at Dorne's position, that could put Highgarden at a disadvantage.

• 1 month later...

Isn't Dorne separate from the 7 Kingdoms and thus not really subject to Cersei's decrees anyway? I thought Dorne was its own country...

Dorne is one of the 7 Kingdoms. Before Aegon the Conqueror came to unite the lands of Westeros, there were seven seperate kingdoms (Kingdom of the North, Kingdom of Mountain and Vale, Kingdom of the Isles and the Rivers, Kingdom of the Rock, Kingdom of the Reach, Kingdom of the Stormlands and Dorne). After Aegon came to Westeros, he united them into one huge kingdom of which Dorne is a part.

OT: I think Cersei hates hit, but doesn't say something about it because she knows how dangerous Dornishmen are and since her daughter is in their hands, it wouldn't be a very smart decision.

When Aegon the Conqueror conquered Westeros, Dorne used Guerrilla tactics, did not fight them head on where the dragons could kill them, which ended up with Dorne not being conquered. Dorne ascended from the Rhoyne people who lived around the Rhoyne river in Essos, until they migrated to Dorne while in a war with Valyrian Empire. It was the Rhoynar that carried the idea that women can be the first heir and can rule over Dorne, and also these carried the Prince and Princess title over, I think. I think it was a Century or so later when Dorne married into the Kingdoms and became ruled over, and their keeping the title Prince and Princess was part of the deal. I think Cersei cannot do anything to stop this as it was established a long time ago, and even if she could, she wouldn't as it would upset the Martell's even more, and they have a full,untouched army at their backs as they didn't participate in the War of the Five Kings - Cersei should do her best not the anger them.

Archived