Jorah Mormont

maiden of tarth

Some part of me thinks that Dany should have forgiven him. I just can't agree with her banishing him from her side. Every time I listen to that chapter, I'm more convinced that she should have forgiven him.

He didn't start off loyal to her but he was loyal in the end.

Hmmmmmm

The difference between him and Barristan is that Jorah refused to acknowledge he had done anything wrong. He was to stubborn to hold up his hands and say: okay, I did wrong, sorry. Can you forgive me and take me back into your service?

Dany, from the thoughts we are privy to, probably would have forgiven him if only he had done that

Yes she should have forgiven him, but he should have been more willing to admit his own failings. One must remember that knighthood is an integral part of Jorah's being. He is proud and stubborn to a fault. In this instance, it did not serve him well.

I hope banishment and a taste of slavery serve to make him a better man when he gets back to Dany.

The difference between him and Barristan is that Jorah refused to acknowledge he had done anything wrong. He was to stubborn to hold up his hands and say: okay, I did wrong, sorry. Can you forgive me and take me back into your service?

Dany, from the thoughts we are privy to, probably would have forgiven him if only he had done that

This.

I just feel so sorry for him. I hope she takes him back.

Why do you feel sorry for him? I'm curious, and don't want this to descend into a pointless discussion where neither will accept the others views, but I never got the sympathy vibe from Jorah. What is it that makes you feel sorry for him?

I'm not so sure. I honestly believe he just wanted to go home.

You think? I would say the reasons already expressed are more than enough.

Well yes, I do think so, probably because I'm so suspicious (for good or ill) of the Hightowers in general, Lynesse in particular. Leyton and the Mad Mad are up to something, and have been for a long, long time. Then we have all the Hightower blood in Marg and her brothers.

The Hightowers might as well be waving a big flag to get our attention, but they've been pretty quiet in the books, other than stories about Gerold, and some passing mention of Humphrey, Marg's mom and a few others. And of course Walys Flowers and his involvement with Rickard Stark.

This may of course have nothing to to with Jorah, but the Hightowers were famously involved with the Targs going back to the Conquest. The whole story of Alicent is central to Targ history and the first Dance of the Dragons.

If GRRM had to pick a character to be involved with Dany, I need to wonder why he picked one who married a Hightower... if there isn't more to the story.

Well yes, I do think so, probably because I'm so suspicious (for good or ill) of the Hightowers in general, Lynesse in particular. Leyton and the Mad Mad are up to something, and have been for a long, long time. Then we have all the Hightower blood in Marg and her brothers.

The Hightowers might as well be waving a big flag to get our attention, but they've been pretty quiet in the books, other than stories about Gerold, and some passing mention of Humphrey, Marg's mom and a few others. And of course Walys Flowers and his involvement with Rickard Stark.

This may of course have nothing to to with Jorah, but the Hightowers were famously involved with the Targs going back to the Conquest. The whole story of Alicent is central to Targ history and the first Dance of the Dragons.

If GRRM had to pick a character to be involved with Dany, I need to wonder why he picked one who married a Hightower... if there isn't more to the story.

I like the scepticism, but I think this is kind of cut and dry. He ran from Westeros to be with Lynesse. She abandoned him and I imagine his life as a sellsword paled in comparison to being Lord Mormont of Bear Island. He sought a royal pardon to gain back his birthright, and then abandoned it again for another woman. If Jorah is anything he is a sucker for a pretty face. Dany made the right choice. Baristan had reasonable explainations for hiding his identity (IMO she was too hard on him). Jorah sold her out for lands and titles. He regrets it, but that was his intent on meeting her. Once he started to lust after Dany he changed his mind.

Many characters in ASOIAF have complex motivations, but Ser Jorah is not one of them. He broke the law, had to flee, then tried to earn a pardon, changed his mind when he got the hots for Daenerys, and then got what was coming to him.

But dammit if Ian Glen doesn't nail the character on the show.

Many characters in ASOIAF have complex motivations, but Ser Jorah is not one of them. He broke the law, had to flee, then tried to earn a pardon, changed his mind when he got the hots for Daenerys, and then got what was coming to him.

Do I detect sarcasm? Great as show Jorah is, he is nothing like book Jorah

I disagree. Ian Glenn does not nail Ser Jorah on the show. Show Jorah and Book Jorah are very different characters. Not that I mind though, ShowJorah by Ian Glenn is a (much) better character than book Jorah :D

Archived