Jorah Mormont

maiden of tarth

I disagree. Ian Glenn does not nail Ser Jorah on the show. Show Jorah and Book Jorah are very different characters. Not that I mind though, ShowJorah by Ian Glenn is a (much) better character than book Jorah :D

Its gonna be interesting to see when Jorah kidnaps Tyrion in the show.

Why do you feel sorry for him? I'm curious, and don't want this to descend into a pointless discussion where neither will accept the others views, but I never got the sympathy vibe from Jorah. What is it that makes you feel sorry for him?

He's a very human character with very obvious (and male centered) motivations. Look at how Tyrion interacts with him. Tyrion gets busted in the mouth by him and still saves his life at an opportune moment because he sympathizes with him on some level. He doesn't lust after power or wealth for its own sake, he just wants to be loved.

Its gonna be interesting to see when Jorah kidnaps Tyrion in the show.

I really hope D&D have the good sense to cut Penny and give more screentime to Tyrion and Jorah interactions :drool: the awesomness would go over 9000 :D

Jorah's not a bad guy. He's actually pretty competent and knowledgeable when he hasn't decided he's hopelessly in love with a woman. From the very beginning of Game, we see that he actually has good insight on the way things work in Westeros. He doesn't gloss over the suffering and the destruction caused by the machinations of the nobility. Every ruler needs a voice like this in his/her councils.

I don't really think there's much to "forgive" Jorah for on Dany's part. I understand that she perceives that he betrayed her, but in truth, he didn't. Could he have been better about telling her what she wanted to hear? Of course, but many of the points he made in his own defense were powerful and accurate. Because he was there from the early days of Dany's journey in a way that Barristan wasn't, he'd gotten to be pretty familiar with Dany, an experience that made it hard for him to return to more courtly behavior. At this point in the story, he's suffered far more than he deserved for his mistakes, and he deserves a shot at happiness.

I'm pretty sure if some guy admitted to me he'd been part of a plot to kill me for quite some time, and he never told me until he was exposed by another, I'd find him distrustful, I'd feel violated and my trust abused, and I'd want to kick his ass. Why is that so hard to understand?

Jorah's assistance to Dany is what kept her from executing him, he should be happy with that.

Add that he is a creepy old dude with the hots and hands for Dany, and it adds up to trouble. What if he gets jealous of her attentions for Dario or anyone else and decides to go back to Plan A and win back his lordship from the crown? Nope, can't trust the guy.

Yeah, I dread Penny/Tyrion scenes. It'd be much better to see the antagonistic bromance between Tyrion and Jorah the Explorah.

I love Penny, am waiting for her to do something surprisingly awesome. She's another Sansa...myopic and emotionally strung at first, but I sense she's smarter and more capable than what we've seen. And perhaps she's more than meets the eye too. Penny is one of my small character faves along with Hodor, Dog, and Lady Taena.

I like the scepticism, but I think this is kind of cut and dry. He ran from Westeros to be with Lynesse. She abandoned him and I imagine his life as a sellsword paled in comparison to being Lord Mormont of Bear Island. He sought a royal pardon to gain back his birthright, and then abandoned it again for another woman. If Jorah is anything he is a sucker for a pretty face. Dany made the right choice. Baristan had reasonable explainations for hiding his identity (IMO she was too hard on him). Jorah sold her out for lands and titles. He regrets it, but that was his intent on meeting her. Once he started to lust after Dany he changed his mind.

Well, so... why associate Jorah with the Hightowers? Why not marry him off to some other errant daughter?

Why make an association between Dany and Lynesse in the looks department? Why not use some fabricated Dayne or someone else? Why stress that Alerie has silver hair?

That's the part that twists me. GRRM made a conscious chose to marry Jorah to a Hightower.

I feel bad for Jorah because he seems to be doomed to love women who don't love him back.

He follows his heart over his head, which can be a good thing unless you live in Westeros/Essos where being a romantic can get you killed.

I think Dany made the right choice in dismissing him from her service because his tendency to act based on emotion is dangerous. His jealousy could easily get in the way of his wisdom (which he does have to an extent) and that makes him a liability. The only hope for him is to fall permanently in love with a woman who will love him back and marry her (having been granted a divorce/annulment from Lynesse the Faithless). That way he won't change his allegiance based on his feelings anymore.

Well, so... why associate Jorah with the Hightowers? Why not marry him off to some other errant daughter?

Why make an association between Dany and Lynesse in the looks department? Why not use some fabricated Dayne or someone else? Why stress that Alerie has silver hair?

That's the part that twists me. GRRM made a conscious chose to marry Jorah to a Hightower.

It could develope into a twist I suppose. However, I think for Jorah's character development a highborn wife from the south was needed and the Hightowers fit the bill. I will grant you one concession though, he was incredibly shocked when Lord Leyton Hightower granted his permission to marry Lynesse. However, her being his youngest daughter at the time, along with the fact he hadn't taken a large interest in making strong self serving marriages (Fossoway and Cupps? Am I right?) at this point, I think he simply saw a young lord who had just bathed in honor and glory and gave his consent. Even from a political standpoint its not a terrible notion since that would have (had Jorah not been condemned) given him a small foothold in the North. IMO Lord Leyton hasn't done much to immerse his family line in high places. There is Alerie who is married to Lord Mace but that the strongest one. And since Highgarden is the closest province it makes sense. (Although it would make the most sense for him to make a marriage with House Martell as well. I doubt that he knows Obara Sand bloodlust for Oldtown unfortunately) I think from Lord Leytons POV he is the Lord of Oldtown, the educated city, the city of maesters, and I think that he is fairly confident that he is safe no matter what happens. Actually, in fact, its probably better for him to substain from allying himself with other houses. Maesters pick no sides the just give counsil.

I feel bad for Jorah because he seems to be doomed to love women who don't love him back.

He follows his heart over his head, which can be a good thing unless you live in Westeros/Essos where being a romantic can get you killed.

I think Dany made the right choice in dismissing him from her service because his tendency to act based on emotion is dangerous. His jealousy could easily get in the way of his wisdom (which he does have to an extent) and that makes him a liability. The only hope for him is to fall permanently in love with a woman who will love him back and marry her (having been granted a divorce/annulment from Lynesse the Faithless). That way he won't change his allegiance based on his feelings anymore.

I feel bad for him as well. Following your heart over your head though almost always leads to trouble (insert bo burnhams left brain right brain lol). I agree she made the right decision, but essentially the only thing that kept him from letting her die was the fact that he fell in love with her. From her perspective, she doesnt love him, so what happens when he finds someone else? Or just simply stops loving her? He a variable she is better without. Judging from her perceiced state of mind at the end of aDwD she has enough variables of her own to deal with.

I kind of like that theory about Jorah getting a Valyrian Steel sword from Dany, then he kills Dany as Nissa Nissa, and he becomes AAR. Just a hilarious thought, especially with his Mike Tyson-esque facial tattoos of late.

I agree that he could have probably gotten forgiveness from Dany if he had groveled like Barristan, but for whatever reason, he didn't. He knew he should have - but I can see from his viewpoint that he had been completely fed up with the manners necessary of court, and that he had gone through too much with Dany to stoop to that level. But its a requirement - appearances mean quite a bit, especially in a foreign court. It would've been impossible for Dany to just be casual with Jorah on his forgiveness in that specific situation, and Jorah should at least know that. She has the dragons, so its kind of an obvious thing to realize you gotta kiss that ring whenever asked.

As to Ian Glen - I think he makes a great character, great gravely voice, but Jorah from the books is a large black bear, and this actor is a little too thin and light colored for the part. He makes it more believable regarding his seemingly exhaustive knowledge of the history and intrigues, not to mention languages, or Essos, but still lacks a bit in the brutal animal like appearance I was sort of expecting from such a northman. Karstarks and Umbers did not disappoint in that category.

I really hope D&D have the good sense to cut Penny and give more screentime to Tyrion and Jorah interactions :drool: the awesomness would go over 9000 :D

Definitely. Dinklage and Glen are brilliant. They're my two favorite actors on the show. The best thing to do is to pair them up and let them do what they do best which is be utterly fantastic.

Of course, but many of the points he made in his own defense were powerful and accurate. Because he was there from the early days of Dany's journey in a way that Barristan wasn't, he'd gotten to be pretty familiar with Dany, an experience that made it hard for him to return to more courtly behavior.

Good point. One thing that bugged me was that Dany often kissed Jorah on the cheek or the forehead. She kissed Barristan too. If she was concerned that a member of her staff was getting too familiar then kissing them isn't the way to go. Maintaining a professional distance goes both ways.

Definitely. Dinklage and Glen are brilliant. They're my two favorite actors on the show. The best thing to do is to pair them up and let them do what they do best which is be utterly fantastic.

We'll find out next season I guess :)

Good point. One thing that bugged me was that Dany often kissed Jorah on the cheek or the forehead. She kissed Barristan too. If she was concerned that a member of her staff was getting too familiar then kissing them isn't the way to go. Maintaining a professional distance goes both ways.

Perhaps we should introduce Dany to Sexual Harassment Panda? You know just to teach her a lesson ;)

Archived