True Detective V

Mark Antony

Alright.. first post. Mostly just inane rambling with a couple of ideas.

The tall man with scars:

Everyone (audience and detectives) automatically assumes he is Dora Lange's killer. But all we really know is that Dora had been hanging around with a tall man with facial scarring, he's not necessarily her killer. We know that Charlie told Reggie about Dora, hence why Marty & Cohle thought they had the right suspect. So we can assume he had some part in her death, though as the pharmacy killer informs Cohle, Reggie was not the one who pulled the trigger.

My theory, the tall scarred man is the lawnmower man Cohle spoke to briefly. He had scars on his right cheek / chin though we don't know his height since he was sitting down. He works for Rev Tuttle who is almost certainly connected to the yellow king. He took up with Dora for a period prior to her death and either killed her himself or introduced her to the Carcosa / Yellow King environment that eventually led to her demise. I also believe he's our green haired spaghetti monster.

Marty

I have loads of theories & ideas about Marty but nothing i'm really satisfied with.

He and Cohle seem to have a yin yang type of relationship where their characters are almost inverted, which makes me think there's a slim possibility Hart is indeed one of our antagonists (i doubt it though). Hart is the run of the mill cop, a married family man, christian, sociable, all 'round cowboy, However, in reality he's an adulterer, a shitty parent, not particularly religious, hyopcritical violent man with a drinking problem who abuses his status as a cop.

In contrast, Cohle is this nihilistic realist introvert, perceived as an oddball by his peers yet has a far greater moral grounding and integrity than his partner. If somebody behaves like a piece of shit he treats them accordingly which we see in several instances, but he's fair - as we see when he doesn't take advantage of the hooker selling him ludes. In the 2012 FBI interviews, we have Cohle set against a background of outdated computers, a typewriter and old files while Hart is set against a busy modern looking office which is probably symbolic that Cohle is still stuck in 1995 while Hart has moved on.

Anyway, I have a theory that Hart is indeed working with this yellow king / cult but that he is being blackmailed to do so, possibly through his father in law.

On the first day of the '95 antler murder, he stays late doing paperwork while Cohle goes chasing leads. Hart doesn't sleep with his wife that night, he lingers by his children's bedroom drinking and generally seems quite bothered, though claims to Maggie that its just the new case affecting him. It's possible that this yellow king group are leaning on him already at this point, using his eldest daughter as leverage. Soon after the father in law scene is the first time that she begins acting up (the gangbang doll, pictures) We also know that the one thing which seems to bother him more than anything is children being exploited. Our present day FBI agents float the idea that Cohle was leading Hart on all along, but could it be the other way around. Hart insists on keeping Cohle on as partner. He can't stand the man yet keeps Cohle and the case to himself. Could he have been keeping Cohle as a potential fall guy all along, knowing some of his past, how he's perceived by people and basically fits the profile, reinforced by the fact that the FBI agents have come to this conclusion. Having a strange hallucinating partner with a dodgy past could serve him at some point down the line. He is the one who tracks Weem down, which leads to the Iron Crusaders. He would also have the access to alter those missing children reports. The most significant moment is when Hart murders Reggie LeDoux.. he's never once fired his weapon yet shoots an unarmed handcuffed man. This act served to close the case (for a few years anyway) whereas had Reggie lived, Cohle undoubtedly would've realised he wasn't the right guy (or at the very least that the case went much deeper). Just before this, Hart refuses Cohle's suggestion to go back and call it in.

I agree with the possibility that Hart's father in law molested Audrey. While conversing with Hart he speaks about how the world's gone to shit and how girls these days are all having sex, white faces, black clothes etc which is EXACTLY how 2002 Audrey is presented. An outside and unlikely possibily that Hart is the one molesting her, just something that stuck with me when Cohle remarks that Lisa was like a younger version of Maggie.

We can safely assume some folk in law enforcement are helping cover things up which gives greater significance to Cohle words "Of course i'm dangerous i'm police. I can do things with impunity". There's every possibilty that this pertains to Marty, or that he could be playing both sides. In 2012 he claims he hasn't spoken to Cohle in about 10 years, yet a look passes between the agents which would suggest that that's bullshit. Either way there's a lot more to Marty than he lets on.

I think I'm the only person hoping their isn't a plot twist or shocking revelation. I just want it to stay realistic. I can accept the cult thing, but I don't really want there to be some big government conspiracy or for one of the two main characters to be the villain. It will just feel cheap, cliche and out of place, and so far the show hasn't shown any signs of being like that.

Marty

I like, it makes sense to me. And if true it will make me look pretty good (if only to myself), since ive had a gut feeling about Marty since episode 4, but especially in regards to his actions in E5. It's like i totally Gingered this show.

Well NP has said that this show isn't going for the trickery, or the shock value. I can't find the interview where he said that, but in that same interview he also said about 85% of the plot was revealed in the first episode. After I rewatched it, I'd agree with him, although knowing what we know now helped a lot in determining what's going on in ep1. So I don't think we'll be tricked.

Also as a side note, upon rewatching I noticed how Rust saw a little girl waving at him when he was driving with Marty. He then asked Marty if he believed in ghosts. Rust was seeing his daughter. Add that to his drinking problem, and I guess the first time around I missed seeing just how damaged the guy is. I really feel for Rust, and hopefully things turn out well for him down the stretch, even though they likely won't...

Bottom line is, I should definitely rewatch all of it. Who knows what else I missed the first time through.

Edit: and regarding Marty, NP has called both him and Rust 'heroes'. Not anti-heroes. So what am I missing here? Marty said it himself - his biggest sin was inattention. I think it would be a big cop out if Marty were a willing participant in the cult.

Edit 2: does Marty have cancer? He talks about how grudges lead to cancer, and then how ass cancer makes you realize that the good years just passed. Then he pops a pill from an organizer. More likely he's just old, but that cancer bit seems interesting.

WWGD: dress up as a writer, break into HBO, and attempt to rob the videos, he ain't waitin on The Company to tell us

Do any of you really think that HBO is gonna tell us the real story anyway man? They ain't gonna tell you what really went down, you gonna have to get past whatever cover story they give in episode 8 and think and dig deeper to get to true justice ... may take years and years man

WWGD? You lost me on that one.

EDIT: Ah, I just looked at the end of the last thread. I get it now. It's all about G-man!

I'm so excited to see tonight's episode. In looking at the trailer, it appears we see another side to Rust. It looks like he's yelling at his girlfriend and pushing her out of the door of his apartment. Also, what's going on at the dining table with the antlers and devil nets when Rust is shining the flashlight on them?

Oh, I should just wait 30-60 minutes and I'll be able to understand it (maybe) after watching the show.

Well, I guess about 9/10 of the lame and hair brained theories that have gone on in this thread were put to rest tonight... At least that is something.

Now... We can all go back to talking about the real point of this show and wonder if Ginger has become one with his ditch yet.

Archived