True Detective V

Mark Antony

Yeah,it was a solid B episode.

I was watching the first episode and I got interested in the state police commander. He's the white haired guy wearing a uniform. In the first episode, Marty is talking to the major and the commander is standing outside the office. As Marty exits, the commander literally gets in his way as the commander enters the major's office. Marty was not thrilled by it. Soon after Tuttle appears and there is talk of a task force.

Fast forward to tonight's episode, after Rust goes to see Tuttle, there is the commander in the new major's office as Rust gets suspended. Could be coincidence. ;)

eta: I think his name is Commander Speece

I have wondered about that Commander since episode 1 as well. When Marty exits the room after talking to the major, the commander blocks his path. I think Marty says "fuck him" or something. Speece was also in episode 2 at the press conference. His presence seemed intimidating and also seemed to annoy Marty, so I looked him up on IMDB to see who he was in the show, but IMDB only listed this character in episodes 1 & 2, so I figured I was just jumping to conclusions. I was mildly surprised to see him in tonight's episode. I'm sure he's involved with Tuttle and the cover-up.

Oh you two. :lol:

"I'm sorry thank you" just about broke my heart while making me sick to my stomach.

And I had the same feeling about the preview.

My favorite little touch was the busted taillight on Rust's truck.

Yes. That was a gut-wrenching sex scene. Back in the first TD thread, many said they thought an affair between Maggie and Rust would be to cliche. The way the show pulled it off was believable though, albeit sad and remorse-riddled.

Cohle telling the mother to kill herself was him getting his last confession ( in 2002 anyway ). He seemed pretty beaten down, not trying to be mean to her but just defeated.

I agree about the taillight. I really enjoyed the camera staying attached to the bumper as Rust was driving down the road. Yet another brilliant detail.

I'm excited for the next episode.

At the very ending of the preview - must be Hart seeing his daughter in some ugly video.

From an interview with Michelle Monaghan on the Daily Beast:

Spoiler
Now that Maggie and Marty are divorced, is Marty’s family still going to be part of the plot going forward?

You mean my family? As in, my mother and father and that sort of thing?

Sure. I was wondering mainly about your daughters, Audrey and Maisie, but Marty’s father-in-law—Maggie’s father—did show up earlier in the series, living in a big waterfront house and complaining about “kids these days.” Let’s put them all on the table.

Yes, yes. Our family—everybody—is still going to be part of the plot going forward

About the ending:

Spoiler
OK, final question: if you had to pick one word to describe how Season 1 of True Detective ends, what would it be?
Staggering.

And the bare light bulb survived that long without a cover? Wasn't the last scene closer to 2012 than 2002?

Wouldn't put it past Rust to replace the bulb but not the cover. He's sentimental like that.

Good episode completing the transition from 2002 to now. I guess we'll see some 2010 stuff next week wrt to Tuttle and what Rust's been up to all that time. I'm expecting it to be framed as a conversation at the bar mirroring the interviews earlier in the show.

The episode did suffer from lack of 2012 Rust interviews though.

So, can we all agree that in the preview for next episode, Rust was showing Marty video footage of his daughter?

I think that's a safe assumption. And on this topic:

Marty keeps mentioning in his interview, that it was right under his nose. This repeated statement combined with the preview, makes me think the conversation between Rust and Marty happened BEFORE Marty's interview.

On another note:

I rewatched episode 5 before this one and the abandonned building Rust enters at the end of the episode. Isn't it the one where he met lawnmower guy?

edit: preview can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBvXKe-HMhA&list=UUVTQuK2CaWaTgSsoNkn5AiQ&feature=c4-overview

I think it was the lack of Ginger from last nights episode that was the main reason I preferred episodes 4 and 5 :drunk:

Most definitely. The world is a much better place with Ginger in it.

I didn't find Rust's telling the mother to kill herself to be anything other than honest. That's the thing about his character that rubs everyone the wrong way; he doesn't varnish or soften anything he says.

A child killer in a women's prison is going to get tortured daily, and this is a woman who killed 3 babies. Never mind what I think about that personally; he was just stating the facts in typical Rust fashion.

the show is about the characters, motivation, intention and what we think of ourselves, how we come to think it and how we reconcile the reality from our mutual delusions and rationalizations.

Marty is a bad man, with bad motivations and bad actions- yet insists that he is a great guy.

Cohle insists that he is a bad man yet what he is is simply a 'not good " man: he understands himself, takes comfort in that , and essentially does good things for everyone- while putting himself in a hot seat. Cohe is not pre-emptive in his attacks- if the other person displays open hostility. an attack or evasiveness or overt self interest ( Lange, the Bunny Ranch madam, and then Maggie at the diner )- only then will he come out with something that makes him appears bellicose. He passes on taking the attack with Maggie- to me that was very telling of his Cohle's character and feelings towards Maggie.

MAggie is being portrayed as one of those people who appear to have good intentions but don't really know how to get there, they want to be seen as the 'good ' person but while doing good in one thing, may let someone down in another. and her flaw is smugness- in that she can't see the error while telling people that she is correct. She thinks that she is the 'good' person but she actually makes bad decisions and improper follow up, harsh commentary about other people's life without provocation.

Cohle may appear smug/arrogant yet he is not- he is not overly concerned about whether people believe in his personal life philosophy.

THe true person here is Cohle.

eta: Maggie is a sympathetic character so it is almost impossible to see the faults in her personality as her own . that there are pre-existing. It is far easier to say that she is making these decisions that she is making, due to MArty's shitty behavior. It is a rough row to hoe to allow oneself to see her actions as being self-driven. BUt it truly doesn't matter. She is not a bad person. Just a person who sometimes makes a decision that has ambiguous outcomes.

The question being asked is do we ever get to that point? And what does society think of a person who is so self -actualized to that extent? at what point does the interaction with such a person become so overwhelmingly irritating that they are cast aside- even though

The scene with the daughters and the dolls

Audrey was explaining 'something " to Maise who was then acting it out with the dolls.

" you lost your parents in an accident " or something.

NP has put that in there for Audrey to explain the new "origin " story that she overheard.

Ask yourself " who would need to be told about the fact that their parents are no longer around? and why they are no longer around? and why they are where they are.

and where in the world would Audrey have heard such a thing?

and why would a person do that to them?

I don't get that sense from Maggie at all, markinnb. Her interaction with Rust was a low blow and she's obviously using him, but that's her one big misstep in my view, and it's typical 'get even' stuff; go sleep with the one person who will hurt your partner the most. And she did it because she wants Marty gone.

Maggie and the two kids are, to my way of thinking, Marty's 'victims'. And I think the show is wanting us to see this. Notice the interaction with Marty when he's in the family room with all of them. He has alienated every single person in the house, and is oblivious to it. They all resent him.

I snorted when the major called him "tampon". That was hysterical. I'm assuming Marty walks around with bags of them a lot...we saw him carry them into the bar. Who does that?!? And that's a terrible nickname...right up there with "Coco" from Seinfeld.

The back story appears to be the overwhelming bleakness and lack of hope in and around that particular area.

Times have changed.

NP makes it clear that the area needs major improvement and that this improvement is not coming around anytime soon.

" IN 30 years all of this will be underwater" is something that is offered up.

NP shows children wandering the street- apparently aimlessly- yes, they could be going for their violin lessons but unless that is being shown , then you can't assume that that is the case.

Jake comments about how , in his opinion, the world has gone to hell in a handbasket- the children are being shortchanged...

and the comment is that people always shortchange the wrong things.

Did NP realize that a connection would be made between those ideas as espoused by two different characters? Probably not but the theme is a constant one.

hope.

to have hope, a person either has to improve the environment for the people or remove the people from the environment.

the children were found in a trailer.

Mrs. Kelly husband died in a tractor- trailer accident taking a corner too fast out in Roanoke.

NP put it in there. Since it was mentioned, is it another throwaway piece of detail for the detail obsessed audience?

or was he delivering something and was on his way back home?

I didn't find Rust's telling the mother to kill herself to be anything other than honest. That's the thing about his character that rubs everyone the wrong way; he doesn't varnish or soften anything he says.

A child killer in a women's prison is going to get tortured daily, and this is a woman who killed 3 babies. Never mind what I think about that personally; he was just stating the facts in typical Rust fashion.

I definitely think there's an element of... I don't want to call it sadism, necessarily, but Rust seems to have some kind of a perverse impulse expose the truth of a situation to people in a way that makes them reflect upon how terrible or how fucked they are. You can see it not only at the end of the interview with telling the mother to kill herself because of how bad life in prison was going to be, but also last episode in his interview with the Southern Fried Pharmacy Firearm Thief. Literally one moment after he implicated himself in the double-murder Rust "broke character" and, honestly, kind of gloated at him that he had just admitted to killing two people. I think that Rust really does take some kind of pleasure in doing that. If I recall correctly, in the first or the second episode, he did something similar to... was it Dora Lange's mother? I vaguely recall he very pointedly put the blame back on someone for something terrible that had happened to another person.

I get the feeling one of our two "heroes" won't make it to see the final credits of the last episode, and we may never find out who the yellow king is.

We'll find out. I highly doubt they're going to tease the Yellow King throughout the whole season and not resolve it.

"I'm sorry but thank you".... that really is heartbreaking...

I don't think that there are many clues about the case in this episode, but the characterization was splendid. From episode 1, we start believing that Cohle is the more problematic one, while Hart the more normal one, a bit of an asshole maybe, but that's that.

In this episode, that completely turned around. Marty has real problems. I don't think he's the killer, but that opening scene... And throughout the episode as well. Someone brought up the scene with the family around the tv, as a demonstration of how he's hurt his family. Another example of that is Beth.

In episode 2, he was her savior, but now he pretty much ruined her as well.

Cohle's interviews were all very interesting. There's some sort of an analogy between the way he and the preacher turned up. The little girl was so sad. Basically, everyone who's been involved in the whole case is fucked up, if you think about it. From the detectives themselves, to the victims (and Ginger).

I know everyone's saying it but DAMN do these threads move fast!

Solid episode, no wow moments like in the last two but some great performances. I don't have a whole lot new to add except I think it's pretty funny that even with the hundreds of theories tossed about in these threads that no one (that I've seen) predicted that the big blow-up would occur when Marty cheated on Maggie again which led Maggie to seduce Rust. Seems obvious now that we've watched it unfold.

I definitely think there's an element of... I don't want to call it sadism, necessarily, but Rust seems to have some kind of a perverse impulse expose the truth of a situation to people in a way that makes them reflect upon how terrible or how fucked they are. You can see it not only at the end of the interview with telling the mother to kill herself because of how bad life in prison was going to be, but also last episode in his interview with the Southern Fried Pharmacy Firearm Thief. Literally one moment after he implicated himself in the double-murder Rust "broke character" and, honestly, kind of gloated at him that he had just admitted to killing two people. I think that Rust really does take some kind of pleasure in doing that.

That is my take on it as well. I think part of it goes back to his need to feel intellectually superior to those around him. By that same token, he casually tosses the 40-page confession at Marty and tells him to type it up for him. "Without me, there is no you."

I wonder though given what we've seen thus far of Rust & Marty's interactions in 2012 (admittedly brief) whether Rust has adjusted that attitude in the interim.

If I recall correctly, in the first or the second episode, he did something similar to... was it Dora Lange's mother? I vaguely recall he very pointedly put the blame back on someone for something terrible that had happened to another person.

I think you're referring to Charlie Lange in episode 4 - Rust told him that showing the polaroids of Dora to Reggie Ledoux very likely led to Dora's murder.

Archived