Michelle Fairley & Richard Maddern DVD Commentary

Cyvasse Khal

To the people who have listened to the DVD commentary on season 3 episode 9 'Rains of Castamere' with Richard Maddern and Michelle Fairley. Was anyone else extremely moved by how emotional they both got after watching the Red Wedding scene? Michelle was weeping as she had not watched the episode and Richard was also struggling to talk by the end of the episode. I absolutely loved that they were affected by it, because it showed that they truly cared about the show and like Richard said became very attached to their characters.

As fans of the book series, all we really ask is that the actors bring the characters to life as true as they can and respect the character GRRM (and to a lesser extend D&D) has written for them and the story GRRM has created. I can't praise the casting choices and actors enough as it's easy to see they are all very much into it and love it themselves. So it's very warming to see two of the main cast so upset over the ending to their characters and an end to their time on the show (perhaps not Michelle..we'll see what they do with that).

Side Note: A little disappointed there was no Peter Dinklage, Liam Cunningham or Stark kids commentary for this season as I found those the most entertaining to listen to in the previous two seasons, but I understand it's hard to get them in and do it if they are working and have a tight schedule, so I'm grateful for the actors, writers, and directors that do participate and have done in the past. Would love a Conleth Hill and Peter Dinklage commentary together next season.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we could've gotten Michael McElhatton's point of view on this episode.

I think he did a few little snippets in the Making of Rains of Castamere DVD extra, but yeah she should have been given the opportunity to talk throughout a whole episode. He did the voice over of the History of House Bolton (which was awesome) so it seems he had the time. He should have been given Ep10 so he can talk about the fallout of Ep9, would have been more interesting than Iwan and Iain saying nothing while Emilia tries in vain to keep the conversation going.

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree, it was nice to see the passion they had for the characters they played. Unlike some commentaries where the actors talk about their characters so dispassionately or you get trite conversation such "such and such is such a wonderful actor in this scene" with no emotional connection or real feeling.

• 2 months later...

I don't know which I found more heartbreaking, the Red Wedding on itself or Michelle and Richards reaction on the Red Wedding...

It was really heartbreaking to see how heartbroken they were...

It's great that the commentary gives us Michelle's reaction to seeing it for the very first time. Both of them did a great job on the show but I thought Michelle particularly was incredible throughout.

Yeah I listened to Michelle's commentary on my BluRays as well, and I couldn't believe that she hadn't watched it yet. I guess it would be strange to watch yourself in something, but I always imagined that if I was in something I'd want to watch it immediately to see the final product, to see how well I did.

It was great to see her initial reaction. Good stuff. My wife probably just shakes her head every time I spend the money on the Blu Rays, but to me it's worth it.

Yea I watched it too. Got the DVDs as soon as it was out and I was soo sad how emotional Michelle & Richard got. Michelle was crying and everything! Thinking about again even makes me a lil sad. But again like most of you have said its really nice to see how much they've cared and put into these characters over the years, they've done a fantastic job of bringing them to life.

yes it was an amazing addition. The commentary was so incredibly sad and moving- as powerful as the event itself in it's own way.

I loved Michelle's commentary in season 2 with NCW- absolutely hilarious! "MY SON!"

:agree: And I hope we get Lena Headey and Jack Gleeson for the PW. That would be really great. And fitting.

Which episode are you referring to?

Archived