Small Questions v 10025

Stubby

Wasn't it something to do with avoiding the association of knights with Arthur and the Round Table or something? Maybe that was just something another poster said though (I think it was Lady Gwyn actually)

Yes, it was about creating the sense of medievalness, but avoiding real life terms by slightly changing them, so it's clear it's a made up world.

He does the same with names - Eddard for Edward, Thristifer for Christopher, etc.

Yes, it was about creating the sense of medievalness, but avoiding real life terms by slightly changing them, so it's clear it's a made up world.

He does the same with names - Eddard for Edward, Thristifer for Christopher, etc.

Yes! That was in there as well!!

That was the one I was talking about! With writing Petyr instead of Peter etc.

:D

Yes! That was in there as well!!

That was the one I was talking about! With writing Petyr instead of Peter etc.

and where's it? :-)

I nearly went mad when I (myself having interpreted "Petyr" as "Peet@r") heard Roy Dotrice say "P@taayre". I like it but never came about the pronunciation. And everyone everywhere ignores Grrm's "LYE-anna" and says "Leeanna".

Oh never mind.

someone in this forum had linked an external (maybe their own?) article about the slight changes of writing and meaning in Grrm's Seven Kingdoms world putting weight on ser and sept.

If I did my search waterproof then there is no SSM containing both the words Ser or ser and Sir or sir as well.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102700-small-questions-v-10022/?p=5339266

Almost immediately a reader is confronted with the term, "Ser," and easily recognizes this as an equivalent of the familiar "Sir." Common names are similarly manipulated ("Eddard"=Edward, the double-d'd "Robb", etc.), and certain critical terms are altered altogether with invented cognates ("sept"=church). The result is something of a "slanted rhyme" effect whereby Martin's world sounds and feels "medieval" yet stays safely sequestered from Earthly history.

To me, there's more than a superficial "fiddling-with-spelling-to-make-it-different" going on here. For example, by simply changing the spelling of "Sir" to "Ser," Martin slants this honorifictitle in such a way as to decouple it, so to speak, from associations he wants to avoid -- readers see "Ser" and understand "knighthood" and "feudalism," but leave behind the unwanted King Arthur-ish baggage that the s-i-r spelling brings with it.

http://www.goodreads...ork-or-are-they

All this talk about spelling is really interesting, but what about that outstanding question Stubby posted to start the current version of this eternal thread? :)

being

Do we ever find out who Gregor's first two wives were? And I can't recall, did he actually wed the third? He never had any (not so) wee ones did he?

No, not that we know of, not that we know of.

ETA: that makes it sound like I know Gregor by heart which I don't. I did a kindle search and read the pages where it found "Gregor".

The best description and mention of the "third marriage" is found in AGoT 30 Eddard VII.

All this talk about spelling is really interesting, but what about that outstanding question Stubby posted to start the current version of this eternal thread? :)

To quote me own earlier post:

:agree:

As a Brit I never even thought there could be anything wrong with this. Who'd a thought :lol:

Re: Gregor's wivesI don't think we know of who they were, and no children are ever mentioned

I realise it wasn't very noticeable :P

ETA: Regarding the new update to the App, with the Tyrion chapter, does anyone know whether this update will be something new we need to purchase or will it be with DwD or what?

To quote me own earlier post:

I realise it wasn't very noticeable :P

ETA: Regarding the new update to the App, with the Tyrion chapter, does anyone know whether this update will be something new we need to purchase or will it be with DwD or what?

Next month, Random House will launch a large update for George R.R. Martin’s A World of Ice and Fire app. In addition to including many new characters and location descriptions, the update will also include an exclusive chapter from The Winds of Winter, featuring one of the series’ most popular characters: Tyrion Lannister. (And yes, you’ll be able to download and access the excerpt in the free version — no payment required. If you’ve already purchased the app, you’re covered there, as well.)

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/02/26/winds-of-winter-exclusive/

So at least the chapter is free. I would think the update would be free as they charge by the book and sadly no new book has come out.

While we're on the topic of silly spellings - is there a difference between a "nuncle" and an "uncle"? Both are used throughout, but i've always wondered if they mean the same thing?

At first i kinda thought nuncle was a term of endearment (Asha using it with Rodrik), whereas Uncle is really the relationship only.

Then i had the thought that it might refer to whose side of the family said uncle was on - if it's on the mother's side maybe it's nuncle?

While we're on the topic of silly spellings - is there a difference between a "nuncle" and an "uncle"? Both are used throughout, but i've always wondered if they mean the same thing?

At first i kinda thought nuncle was a term of endearment (Asha using it with Rodrik), whereas Uncle is really the relationship only.

Then i had the thought that it might refer to whose side of the family said uncle was on - if it's on the mother's side maybe it's nuncle?

But doesn't Asha call her fathers brothers nuncle? (Aeron, Victarion... those are Balon's brothers)

Edit: I found this:

Origin:

1580–90; from the phrase mine uncle, taken as my nuncle; cf. newt

Other online dictionaries only refer to it as an english term, originating from old Shakespearean

Hmm

Tyrian most closely resembles Richard III compare the quoted with, Richard the III's supposed last words as per Shakespeare"

"To horse! To horse!” High and shrill, his voice carried a long way in the morning air, far beyond his own encampment. Tyrion knew just enough Ghiscari to understand the words, but the fear in his voice would have been plain in any tongue. I know how he feels."

"A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!

- King Richard III, just before he engages in the fight with Richmond in which he dies.http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Last_words_in_Shakespeare#Richard_III

Not intending to say that Tyrian is about to die but maybe a tip of the hat to Shakespeare.

Nuncle is an archaic form of uncle, it's used in Shakespeare several times to make the proper rhyme.

Hmm

Tyrian most closely resembles Richard III compare the quoted with, Richard the III's supposed last words as per Shakespeare"

"To horse! To horse!” High and shrill, his voice carried a long way in the morning air, far beyond his own encampment. Tyrion knew just enough Ghiscari to understand the words, but the fear in his voice would have been plain in any tongue. I know how he feels."

"A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!

- King Richard III, just before he engages in the fight with Richmond in which he dies.http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Last_words_in_Shakespeare#Richard_III

Not intending to say that Tyrian is about to die but maybe a tip of the hat to Shakespeare.

Nuncle is an archaic form of uncle, it's used in Shakespeare several times to make the proper rhyme.

But that isn't Tyrion speaking, right? It's some Ghiscari speaking, and Tyrion notes he knows just enough about the tongue to understand the words.

Archived