Small Questions v 10025

Stubby

Maron Volmark descends from Harren the Black through his mother. Harren the Black was the last of the Iron Kings.

Probably that's the reason :)

Gotcha, thanks. I was just browsing the wiki-site and saw that. I'm sure if I picked up AFFC I could figure that out, but I'm lazy today! :closedeyes:

I just caught something on my re-read of AFFC. I don't have English copy but Slovenian, so it might be that the translation is wrong. I'll try to translate it to English, I hope that I don't mistranslate it too much :)

So in Arianne's first chapter there is conversation with Darkstar (after he's done pissing) and Arianne say something like:

"The lion is dead. Who knows which pup does the lion like more." (Again sorry, i'm not good with English)

And then Darkstar suggest killing Myrcella.

So obviously Arianne is talking about Tywin being dead. However when Arys arrives he tells her that Tywin is dead and that shocks here.

So what's up with that?

I'd be more interested in learning why GRRM spells a dozen other words completely unconventionally (pease, ser, nuncle, leal). Grey and gray are both conventional spellings

Nuncle is actually a name applied to the founder of Nuncle island. Sam the Tiger Nuncle. It's a theory from a few months back. Totally legit.

I just caught something on my re-read of AFFC. I don't have English copy but Slovenian, so it might be that the translation is wrong. I'll try to translate it to English, I hope that I don't mistranslate it too much :)

So in Arianne's first chapter there is conversation with Darkstar (after he's done pissing) and Arianne say something like:

"The lion is dead. Who knows which pup does the lion like more." (Again sorry, i'm not good with English)

And then Darkstar suggest killing Myrcella.

So obviously Arianne is talking about Tywin being dead. However when Arys arrives he tells her that Tywin is dead and that shocks here.

So what's up with that?

I'm guessing the lion that was discussed was Joffrey (the news of whoms death was already known in Dorne).

When they said "the lion is not provoked easily" I think they are speaking about House Lannister in general.

It's a strange passage, I know, but seeing as how the two passages you are referring to are only a few pages apart in the same chapter, I think any editors (and there are many people fact checking this stuff before it goes to the print) would have caught it, if it was indeed a mistake.

Though some GRRM clarification during an SSM might be nice, of course :)

"pease, ser, nuncle, leal)'

You must remember there are archaic words and until the advent of definitive dictionaries words tended to be spelled in different ways. GRRM does not invent the spelling of these words all can be found in Medevil writings.

I was thinking maybe that was something else the Targaryens picked up after coming to Westeros, since Aegon made Orys his Hand, the "bastard" mark didn't seem to affect his choice(if he was indeed a bastard). The only Essosi name that comes to mind right off is Mero, I'll have to poke through the Essos chapters again and see if I come across anything.

Yeah it's hard to tell what was going on there, it's Aegon I, and he was a game changer. Maybe Orys was legitimized, Baratheon? I have no clue about where it came from, maybe Dragon stone. Not a big load of information on him or where the name comes from. Could be Valyrian, damn bastards are always causing problems. Fuckin Targaryens are always screwing with the rules, "Oh we are for the 7, for and against Bastards, love us some incest, throw in a dash of crazy, a pinch of prophetic, a middling of magic, a dose of Dragons, and a flair for the dramatic. To incest or not to incest, that is the question. Wether tis nobler to in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous madness or to take arms against a sea of sparrows.

I'm guessing the lion that was discussed was Joffrey

Yes that could be right (and probably is). I still find it strange to call Joff the lion, not Tywin. And I made a mistake in my translation, there should be "does the lioness like more" (talking about Cersei off course)

"Crownig the Lannister girl is a hollow gesture. She will never sit the Iron Throne. Nor will you get the war you want. The lion is not so easily provoked." Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies. "This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel."

And a few pages on from this:

The knight [ser Arys] took her arm, glanced about, lowered his voice. " There are other tidinga you should hear. Tywin Lannister is dead."

That was a shock. ""Dead?"

"Murdered by the Imp. The Queen has assumed regency."

I would say from that that the Lion could refer to Tywin, or it could simply mean House Lannister. Unfortunately I seem to have gone blind because i cant find the which cub will she prefer quote

"Crownig the Lannister girl is a hollow gesture. She will never sit the Iron Throne. Nor will you get the war you want. The lion is not so easily provoked." Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies. "This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel."

The knight [ser Arys] took her arm, glanced about, lowered his voice. " There are other tidinga you should hear. Tywin Lannister is dead."

I would say from that that the Lion could refer to Tywin, or it could simply mean House Lannister. Unfortunately I seem to have gone blind because i cant find the which cub will she prefer quote

"Call it what you will. Crowning the Lannister girl is a hollow gesture. She will never sit the Iron Throne. Nor will you get the war you want. The lion is not so easily provoked."

"The lion’s dead. Who knows which cub the lioness prefers?"

"The one in her own den." Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies. "This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel."

Why did Robert whore so much while alive? He was married to Cersei, possibly the hottest most beautiful woman in Westeros at that point. Surely he'd be more than happy with her, like every other man would be.

Robert was still in love with Lyanna when he married Cersei, and Cersei's happiness about their marriage disappeared when he called her Lyanna during their wedding night, during the "deed". Cersei's hate grew ever since, and Robert was not particulary happy in his marriage.

And thus he turned to drinking and whoring.

Well this is interesting. This is how the first passage goes in my book:

"Crownig the Lannister girl is a hollow gesture. She will never sit the Iron Throne. Nor will you get the war you want. The lion is not so easily provoked."

"The lion is dead. Who knows which pup does the lioness like more."

"The one in her dent" Ser Gerold drew his sword. It glimmered in the starlight, sharp as lies. "This is how you start a war. Not with a crown of gold, but with a blade of steel."

@Oh I see that Rheanys provided the official quote :)

Why did Robert whore so much while alive? He was married to Cersei, possibly the hottest most beautiful woman in Westeros at that point. Surely he'd be more than happy with her, like every other man would be.

1. Cause he could. 2. Cersei was the meanest, coldest woman on the continent, and she preferred another.

"Why did Robert whore so much while alive? He was married to Cersei, possibly the hottest most beautiful woman in Westeros at that point. Surely he'd be more than happy with her, like every other man would be."

Because he was a letcherious whore-monger from an early age and as L knew marriage was not going to change him.

Archived