Small Questions v 10025

Stubby

You mean Roberts Rebellion? Tyrion was a little boy at Casterly Rock during the Rebellion (8 turning 9 that year). Perhaps at the wedding of Robert and Cersei, but I guess they would simply be introduced to one another there. But I dont think a 10 year old boy and a 21 year old man would be having a conversation when the man hates the family of the boy.

I misread the original post, I thought it said did Ned and Tywin ever talk.

"But I dont think a 10 year old boy and a 21 year old man would be having a conversation when the man hates the family of the boy."

At the time Ned woulf of likely mistrusted the Lannister, but he had no real reason to hate them.

"But I dont think a 10 year old boy and a 21 year old man would be having a conversation when the man hates the family of the boy."

At the time Ned woulf of likely mistrusted the Lannister, but he had no real reason to hate them.

I think Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon would disagree.

Although considering it's Ned, maybe something a bit "colder" than hate.

"I think Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon would disagree.

Although considering it's Ned, maybe something a bit "colder" than hate. "

hNed co-led a rebellion that had the intent of deposing the Madking, Ned was also not stupid, he likely knew that Robert would not have permitted Elia, Argon or the other Targ children to live as they would present a clear and present danger to his reign. Ned Obviously disapproved on the manner of the Mountain's manner of killing the Targ heirs, but the Targs were not members of his family and J's recklessness and the King's madness had led to his fathers and brothers death.

"I think Elia, Rhaenys and Aegon would disagree.

Although considering it's Ned, maybe something a bit "colder" than hate. "

hNed co-led a rebellion that had the intent of deposing the Madking, Ned was also not stupid, he likely knew that Robert would not have permitted Elia, Argon or the other Targ children to live as they would present a clear and present danger to his reign. Ned Obviously disapproved on the manner of the Mountain's manner of killing the Targ heirs, but the Targs were not members of his family and J's recklessness and the King's madness had led to his fathers and brothers death.

Ah... no, sorry. Ned quarreled with Robert over that issue and continued to hold it against the Lannisters from the day Tywin laid those bodies at Robert's feet. He did not expect it, nor did he ever excuse it. He left KL in a rage and it took all of Jon Arryn's efforts, and Lyanna's death, to reconcile him to Robert.

In a few cases (Jon Arryn, Galbart Glover), we have the heir to a lord or master being his brother's son, even though his brother is still alive and, it would seem, in good terms with him.

It's safe to assume that is because of an understanding between the two brothers, right? With the younger one agreeing to abdicate in favor of his son?

In a few cases (Jon Arryn, Galbart Glover), we have the heir to a lord or master being his brother's son, even though his brother is still alive and, it would seem, in good terms with him.

It's safe to assume that is because of an understanding between the two brothers, right? With the younger one agreeing to abdicate in favor of his son?

Ronnel Arryn was dead before his son Elbert was named Jon's heir, and afaik Galbart's heir is Robett. Robett's son Gawen is a toddler being held captive in the Iron Islands. Does it say somewhere that he's the heir?

In the semicanon RPG's Resource Book, yep.

On the opposite edge of the wolfswood from Winterfell, between Sea Dragon Point and the tidal flats of the Bay of Ice, lies the wooden motte-and-bailey keep of Deepwood Motte. This castle and associated lands is ruled over by Galbart Glover, Master of Deepwood Motte. Galbart’s brother, Robett, helps him rule. Robett’s son, Gawen, is heir to the title and lands.

Does this passage suggest that Jon is not the legitimate son of Rhaegar but his bastard instead?

Good to you, Ned thought hollowly. "I will tell him, child, and I promise you, Barra shall not go wanting."

She had smiled then, a smile so tremulous and sweet that it cut the heart out of him. Riding through the rainy night, Ned saw Jon Snow's face in front of him, so like a younger version of his own. If the gods frowned so on bastards, he thought dully, why did they fill men with such lusts? "Lord Baelish, what do you know of Robert's bastards?"

"Well, he has more than you, for a start."

It says so in the book itself. I *think* I remember an SSM where Martin said it too, from way back when it came out.

Really? I'd like to see those quotes. As far as I know, RPG info is generally discounted, with the exception of some of the MUSH family trees that have been updated by Ran.

Really? I'd like to see those quotes. As far as I know, RPG info is generally discounted, with the exception of some of the MUSH family trees that have been updated by Ran.

From the book itself:

DESIGNER’S NOTE: CAVEAT: APPROVAL VS. CANON

Although George R.R. Martin himself approved and authorised all the material concerning the Seven Kingdoms, including certain grey areas, the only official canon is what appears directly in the novels. Everything else — from place names to knights’ shields to house words — may be changed as the story progresses. Therefore please take anything “new” here with that in mind — it is true, unless George decides to change it.

I'll try and dig up the SSM.

Does this passage suggest that Jon is not the legitimate son of Rhaegar but his bastard instead?

Good to you, Ned thought hollowly. "I will tell him, child, and I promise you, Barra shall not go wanting."

She had smiled then, a smile so tremulous and sweet that it cut the heart out of him. Riding through the rainy night, Ned saw Jon Snow's face in front of him, so like a younger version of his own. If the gods frowned so on bastards, he thought dully, why did they fill men with such lusts? "Lord Baelish, what do you know of Robert's bastards?"

"Well, he has more than you, for a start."

Not when read in context of the whole chapter, imo. I wrote a bit about it here. (eta- the relevant part is about halfway down ;) )

And the SSM:

Someone else asked about the RPG and he confirmed that he checked and provided background information for the concordanance, encyclopedia, geography, family and history sections, but had no say in the rules. The RPG is "canon" for the moment but he reserves the right to change any details in future novels. He did unreservedly approve of the artwork for the book.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1352

Archived