Small Questions v 10025

Stubby

According to the App he watches the realm through the eyes of the birds and the trees, and there is no lack of birds in the Eyrie I don't think.

Dance Bran III

“The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.”

It seems he will not need the trees at some point, maybe kind of like the way Bloodraven and Bran went for a flight back in the day.

Dance Bran III

The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.

It seems he will not need the trees at some point, maybe kind of like the way Bloodraven and Bran went for a flight back in the day.

Perhaps the trees are easier for long distance at first, but will the birds make him able to see much more (for trees can't move, but birds can), only it takes longer to master the art of warging birds over such a distance?

There are castles in close vicinity to KL, news only needs to travel to there. Friends can send ravens to friends, and the Riverlands (with Hoster Tully) are not that far away. Hoster could send such news north. The northman will have other friends as well who would be willing to share such news.

I am daydreaming on with your speculation. Maester Luwin tells that sometimes ravens get lost or killed on the way and we have seen several attacks be archers on ravens.

1001eyes tells the smarter birds can do all kinds of things. Imagining one of these messages is written in sight of a smarter raven, and Bloodraven instructs the bird to fly north instead of its original destination, heading for a Northern rookery with a particularly curious and chatty maester and to appear particularly agitated when delivering the message.

/Just speculating

Dance Bran III

“The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.”

It seems curious with most of the eyes that come to mind being complex mechanical-electrical devices and then comparing to carved or carved and painted eyes into living and dead wood.

But then they are artifacts of magic. Taking aside that the greenseer might use animal eyes in the vicinity of the trees instead:

Do the trees need eyes for the greenseer to see through? It looks like they do.

... trees can't move

Actually... though not nearly as fast as the birds.

Dance Bran III

Even when Bran is in the cave he follows Summer's pack around through the eyes of a bird, and a bird would have been the only way Bloodraven could have seen what was going on onboard Cat's ship way back in GoT. I think Bran's chapters are at the top of my most anticipated list for WoW, I can't wait to see just how far beyond the trees he can actually see.

Do we know who Good Queen Alysanne's parents were, or whether she was born a Targaryen?

Alysanne was Jaehaerys' sister, and she had at least one older sister, who married Maegor. One of her sisters was named Rhaena, though it is unknown if Rhaena is the elder girl who married Maegor, or whether they were three girls.

So Alysanne's father was King Aenys I, and her mother was an unknown woman from another house than House Targaryen.

This is stuff from R + L = J v 74 #185 and R + L = J v 74 #350 but it is so nitty-gritty it is rather a small question:

It took a year to build a fleet to assault Dragonstone. The Tyrell fleet was not suitable for the assault, but likely blockaded Dragonstone.

and

The catspaws to dragonstone is a fabrication. the fleet Robert had Stannis build took over 6 months to get there.

I've been looking up and down for that information in the texts, but did not find it.

Queen Rhaella and Aerys' son Prince Viserys leave with Darry to Dragonstone only a few days or so before the Sack of King's Landing. About nine months later Queen Rhaella dies giving birth during a terrible storm that smashes the remaining Targaryen fleet and all hopes for continued resistance agains the Robbels.

So Darry flees again, this time to Braavos with Prince Viserys, newborn Princess Daenerys and a wetnurse.

Storm's End may have been relieved of the siege only two weeks after the Sack, giving Stannis all of nine months to build the fleet and assault Dragonstone.

You say 12 respectively 6 months. Have you two guys found some information I may have overlooked?

This is stuff from R + L = J v 74 #185 and R + L = J v 74 #350 but it is so nitty-gritty it is rather a small question:

and

I've been looking up and down for that information in the texts, but did not find it.

Queen Rhaella and Aerys' son Prince Viserys leave with Darry to Dragonstone only a few days or so before the Sack of King's Landing. About nine months later Queen Rhaella dies giving birth during a terrible storm that smashes the remaining Targaryen fleet and all hopes for continued resistance agains the Robbels.

So Darry flees again, this time to Braavos with Prince Viserys, newborn Princess Daenerys and a wetnurse.

Storm's End may have been relieved of the siege only two weeks after the Sack, giving Stannis all of nine months to build the fleet and assault Dragonstone.

You say 12 respectively 6 months. Have you two guys found some information I may have overlooked?

No direct quote, but I can reason...

Rhaella was pregnant when she left for Dragonstone, and gave birth 9 months later. She left for Dragonstone within a few days (maybe only one or two) after the Trident.

The siege at SE was lifted within a month of the Sack (most likely within 2 weeks). Stannis would need to recover from that, surely. Robert needed lords and ladies to swear him fealthy first, and they would have needed to find coin and material for the ships first. That delays the building.

Most of the Targaryen fleet was at Dragonstone, since the war had been fought on land, not on water. So they couldn't go to Dragonstone with only a tiny fleet, they needed something that would impress. That also takes time,. In the mean time, sailors to put on those ships needed to be found.

And all of that while the realm was recovering from a year of war.

So all and all I'd say the building of the fleet took between 8 months (if it started directly after the siege was lifted and Viserys and Dany left within days after Dany's birth) and 10 or 11 months. (if Dany and Viserys were able to stay for a while on Dragonstone after the birth).

I doubt that the garrison held out long after the big storm which destroyed most of their defenses. So I'd say closer to the 8 months (8 or 9) than 11.

I doubt that the garrison held out long after the big storm which destroyed most of their defenses. So I'd say closer to the 8 months (8 or 9) than 11.

Thats exactly how I see it, @Rhaenys_Targaryen, thanks!

I wondered why the guys I quoted had different results and if there was something I might have missed.

Non-english speaker question:

How does one get the nicknames "Ned" and "Bob" from "Eddard" and "Robert"?

I could understand it if the names where "Edd" and "Rob", so why?

One of the many unexplained mysteries of English. Irl, Edward can also be Ted. Charles becomes Chuck, Henry becomes Hank, Harry and Hal. :dunno:

Thats exactly how I see it, @Rhaenys_Targaryen, thanks!

I wondered why the guys I quoted had different results and if there was something I might have missed.

That quote of 6 months already seemed strange to me on the R+L=J thread :p That could only be possible if the siege at SE ended 3 months or so after the Trident... Which is..... rather unlikely.

Non-english speaker question:

How does one get the nicknames "Ned" and "Bob" from "Eddard" and "Robert"?

I could understand it if the names where "Edd" and "Rob", so why?

There is a tale that some guy once tried to write Rob (for Robert) but accidentally spelled Bob and that it stuck with him... But that's just a tale, undoubtly it went differently. :p

As a non-native myself, I can't tell you anything else.

One of the many unexplained mysteries of English. Irl, Edward can also be Ted. Charles becomes Chuck, Henry becomes Hank, Harry and Hal. :dunno:

Same way one gets "Peggy" from "Margaret."

English, y u no make sense?! :huh:

But thx, anyway! :)

English, y u no make sense?! :huh:

But thx, anyway! :)

Richard -> Dick

James -> Jim/Jimmy -> Simmy

Norwegian pronunciation + spelling alternative: Dronning Sigrid: Dronning Siri

My small question: is "Penny" a short from something else then Penelope?

Richard -> Dick

James -> Jim/Jimmy -> Simmy

Norwegian pronunciation + spelling alternative: Dronning Sigrid: Dronning Siri

My small question: is "Penny" a short from something else then Penelope?

Penny isnt always short for something, some people are actually called Penny (I know two, both of whom are of the older generation). I never thought of it as being short for Penelope before, and in the context of the novels it almost certainly.isnt, considering her brother is Groat

Archived