Wyman Manderly

Dananias

Nah, if Liam Neeson can play a dancing drunk in a sitcom, then BB could be Manderly. He doesn't work that much and prefers to do more fun stuff like conventions. Though I just checked his age, quite possibly he is way too old...then again he did climb Kilimanjaro as an old bloke.

It's funny how people keep suggesting big name actors like Brendan Gleeson and Brian Blessed for a part that will probably be condensed to a few appearances. Gleeson in particular is an incredible actor but a starring film actor and would be unlikely to be a fit for a small supporting role like this.

It is known... Ian McNeice is the best suggestion yet.

Too much is made of being a 'big name' actor. So called 'big names' pop up in British telly a lot. And this is a big US show. You've got to look at recent workload and interests. Brian Blessed is a regular at conventions and mixes in the geek arena easily. He is not as big a name now as he used to be.

There is no rhyme nor reason to the casting choices since we have a healthy mix of first timers and big names alike. It simply comes down to suitability and availability.

I wouldn't like Brian Blessed as he is too dominating a force (he always plays Brian Blessed) and a bit of a one-note type actor. I think he'd be the worst possible choice.

He probably gives people what they want recently. But he is certainly not a one note actor, he has great depth as is obvious from his history.

Too much is made of being a 'big name' actor. So called 'big names' pop up in British telly a lot. And this is a big US show. You've got to look at recent workload and interests. Brian Blessed is a regular at conventions and mixes in the geek arena easily. He is not as big a name now as he used to

There is no rhyme nor reason to the casting choices since we have a healthy mix of first timers and big names alike. It simply comes down to suitability and availability.

Thanks, I take your point. I guess I meant more Gleeson as concerns the level he is at in his career. If he was gonna be on the show, I'd expect to see him in more substantial, more pivotal role than this. I doubt he would be cheap either, so to get your money's worth for a top bracket actor like Gleeson. The only casting that goes against this is David Bradley as Walder Frey. A recognisable and great actor with only a few scenes and not a lot of screen time. The exceptional circumstances here being that Frey is the catalyst for just about the biggest event in the whole series. Plus Bradley isn't quite as big an actor as. Gleeson.

As regards Blessed, I just think he is (as another poster hinted at) almost too much of a personality and well known character off-screen to play a role that would really benefit from having a less distracting character actor.

Yes I think sadly his job as a 'personality' overshadows his acting, which is of a high standard.

I understand what you mean about Gleeson. I think ultimately it is down to the personality of the actor. Those who love doing the small jobs for the creative flow. I think Brit/Irish actors on average are probably more inclined to do that, although you get ones like Depp who love to pop up in UK telly shows. But with Depp the Sparrow phenomenon overshadows everything.

As a footnote I do not foresee any stars the status of Gleeson appearing in GoT now, I just mused on the fact that star power is not a hindrance to a lot of 'big name' actors. I think more likely the show would shy away from really big names.

To get Frey Pies.. We must have Wyman Manderly. Probably next season would be my guess..

I can't think of any actors off the top of my head due to the shear GIRTH of Wyman..

John Goodman?

Lol... just kidding!

I have confidence that casting will bring out the big guys.. And there's always prosthetics to make people even fatter if need be.

He has got to be huge..

Like WOW huge..

To get Frey Pies.. We must have Wyman Manderly. Probably next season would be my guess..

I can't think of any actors off the top of my head due to the shear GIRTH of Wyman..

John Goodman?

Lol... just kidding!

I have confidence that casting will bring out the big guys.. And there's always prosthetics to make people even fatter if need be.

He has got to be huge..

Like WOW huge..

Fry and Coltrane both have a build that could easily look realistically like obesity with some careful work. And would have brilliant but different aspects of the character. Coltrane more traditionally Northwrn but Fry would show the Southern Origins embracing the North and I think he would do an extraordinary job

Fry and Coltrane both have a build that could easily look realistically like obesity with some careful work. And would have brilliant but different aspects of the character. Coltrane more traditionally Northwrn but Fry would show the Southern Origins embracing the North and I think he would do an extraordinary job

*Consults IMDB*

Okay... I have seen Fry in a few things.. I just didn't remember.. DEFINITELY seems like a good fit!

I'd totally be on board for that.

.....but Fry would show the Southern Origins embracing the North and I think he would do an extraordinary job

you've convinced me. Fry would be perfect as an out of place Stark bannerman.

Remember that it's easier to get a major actor for a smaller part at this point. The large roles have been cast for 4 yrs. The short term commitment is what the big actors can get on board with.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was just thinking, sorry if this has been posted before.

When the time comes that we might need a Lord Wyman in the series.. do you think GRRM might take up the role himself? Hasn't he stated(or hinted) that he based Manderly on himself? I think it'd be supercool to see him actually playing in the series!

How about they let him play the role... if he finishes the books first. (And I don't mean any more bloody Dunk & Egg prequel BS either.)

Archived