King Robert Baratheon, an underrated king?

Because it was him who called the banners and went to war that killed thousands, it was him who helped to plunge the smallfolk into a civil war. I don't care if Robert was defending his self he still plunged a realm and thousands of innocent smallfolks into a war he sure does get blamed just like Hoster, Ned, Arryn, Tywin, Mace, Aerys, that war was all on them the escalation, the deaths, the sack, and they do deserve blame for TWot5Ks.

The Targaryens started it and Robert finished it. I don't blame him for fighting to overthrow a tyrant.

The Targaryens started it and Robert finished it. I don't blame him for fighting to overthrow a tyrant.

I do it took the deaths of great lords and the call for the deaths of two great lords for Aerys to be stopped.

Where were the egarness to stop Aerys when he was murdering his hand? Or raping his wife? Or when he killed that lady in a sadistic way?

Aerys was okay and King when he wasn't bothering the other nobles in power but when he exercised his power like he had been doing for years and it affects the other nobles and not the smallfolk than rising up and putting thousands of lives at risk is okay.

I do it took the deaths of great lords and the call for the deaths of two great lords for Aerys to be stopped.

Where were the egarness to stop Aerys when he was murdering his hand? Or raping his wife? Or when he killed that lady in a sadistic way?

Aerys was okay and King when he wasn't bothering the other nobles in power but when he exercised his power like he had been doing for years and it affects the other nobles and not the smallfolk than rising up and putting thousands of lives at risk is okay.

Aerys didn't murder his Hand until after the Rebellion had started, I doubt his raping of his wife was public knowledge, and the way he killed that lady was really the first sign of the kind of animal he was becoming but too early for anyone to act.

Aerys didn't murder his Hand until after the Rebellion had started, I doubt his raping of his wife was public knowledge, and the way he killed that lady was really the first sign of the kind of animal he was becoming but too early for anyone to act.

Yeah, no. They all knew how Aerys were and who he murdered and I don't think for a second that people didn't know the abuse he dealt his wife. People knew what Aerys was about for years they just didn't care until it affected them who happened to be great lords almost equal in rank and power to Aerys.

Like I said I do blame Robert in many ways for RR since it is named after him and he did kill more people than any Targaryen in that war and it took the threat of HIS death to stop such a dangerous, powerful, madman.

It's rather unbelievable to see people defend Aerys. The guy is certifiably, pants-crappingly, batshit insane. "Burned a few nobles?" And had it not been for the Kingslayer, he would have murdered 500,000 people. I'm not sure there is a reasonable argument to be made in favor of genocide, people.

Rhaegar might or might not have turned out an okay king, but the fact is he was content to let Aerys the Mad rule - and to literally lay down his life in defense of that reign of terror. Not a good sign.

Robert had flaws but they do not in any way equal or surpass those of the above. Like, in any way. He's definitely an underrated king as far as I can see; people are quick to make judgments about how he was too fat for his armor, as if that matters. Like he needs to personally battle people anymore? Anyone who thinks a fat man can't be dangerous to his enemies should try some Frey Pie.

Yeah, no. They all knew how Aerys were and who he murdered and I don't think for a second that people didn't know the abuse he dealt his wife. People knew what Aerys was about for years they just didn't care until it affected them who happened to be great lords almost equal in rank and power to Aerys.

Like I said I do blame Robert in many ways for RR since it is named after him and he did kill more people than any Targaryen in that war and it took the threat of HIS death to stop such a dangerous, powerful, madman.

They didn't care because Aerys wasn't really in charge, Tywin was. Once Aerys got rid of Tywin and started ruling on his own is when things started to go down hill eventually resulting in RR.

So since it is named after him it is his fault? Great logic. It doesn't matter if his side actually killed more than the other side since that is the point of the war, but don't forget which side planned to destroy an entire city and kill hundreds of thousands innocents.

They didn't care because Aerys wasn't really in charge, Tywin was. Once Aerys got rid of Tywin and started ruling on his own is when things started to go down hill eventually resulting in RR.

So since it is named after him it is his fault? Great logic. It doesn't matter if his side actually killed more than the other side since that is the point of the war, but don't forget which side planned to destroy an entire city and kill hundreds of thousands innocents.

Thanks for agreeing with me that they didn't care until it affected them. As people whose houses rule over entire regions and have the care of millions of people in their regions not caring about the innocent smallfolk is not a good thing.

And what Aerys "planned" on doing doesn't really matter because he didn't do it and it's not about sides. Robert is honestly responsible for hundreds of thousands of innocents deaths with the combination of RR and TWot5ks because he does deserve blame for both those wars.

Thanks for agreeing with me that they didn't care until it affected them. As people whose houses rule over entire regions and have the care of millions of people in their regions not caring about the innocent smallfolk is not a good thing.

And what Aerys "planned" on doing doesn't really matter because he didn't do it and it's not about sides. Robert is honestly responsible for hundreds of thousands of innocents deaths with the combination of RR and TWot5ks because he does deserve blame for both those wars.

I didn't agree with you but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said nobody did anything because Tywin was able to keep him in check for a while, once Tywin was dismissed as Hand guess how long Aerys managed to rule on his own? A year. My god the high lords sure took their time, huh?

If you count his death as a cause for the Wot5K, then yes you could partially blame him for it, but that is hardly fair. Apprantly Robert's existence is enough to blame him for Robert's Rebellion, he should of just went to King's Landing and let Aerys take his head off and continue his reign of terror.

Quick question: who would you prefer to be the president (or prime minister, or whatever) of your country. Robert, or Aerys?

Or perhaps a more down to earth example: who would you want as your boss at work?

Be honest now.

The ONLY reason Aerys did not in fact burn 500,000+ people to death was because of the intervention by one man. That intervention may not have happened for any number of reasons, and comes down to luck. Intentions DO matter. A guy who wants to commit mass murder and suicide is NOT a good ruler - period.

"I will burn you alive for the lulz. Let's all commit mass suicide today! VOTE AERYS FOR PRESIDENT!"

Quick question: who would you prefer to be the president (or prime minister, or whatever) of your country. Robert, or Aerys?

Or perhaps a more down to earth example: who would you want as your boss at work?

Be honest now.

The ONLY reason Aerys did not in fact burn 500,000+ people to death was because of the intervention by one man. That intervention may not have happened for any number of reasons, and comes down to luck. Intentions DO matter. A guy who wants to commit mass murder and suicide is NOT a good ruler - period.

"I will burn you alive for the lulz. Let's all commit mass suicide today! VOTE AERYS FOR PRESIDENT!"

Honestly tho Aerys was one man who was mad in the Targaryen dynasty that wanted to burn a city.

In Robert's dynasty there are many people capable of burning a city from Cersei, Littlefinger, Tywin etc......

All Robert did with his dynasty was let people like the Lannisters, Littlefinger, Varys and other monsters gain control when they shouldn't have, Robert opened doors and gave massive power out to people who wanted to burn cities I don't think he's much better than Aerys.

I wouldn't want neither as my King or boss one would be a crazed pyro and the other would be a negligent loser who let sadistic freaks do their jobs.

Puppet King's an inappropriate term. Arryn was a friend and mentor to Robert, not a shady court figure manipulating the King.

Completely agree. Aegon I was said to have let his wives do the majority of the ruling unless he needed to step in. I see Robert as roughly the same type of ruler.

Aerys was popular with the smallfolk and his reign started off with promise.

I guess that's why he was known as the Mad King. Not to mention, King Bob never planned to kill everyone in KL. Anyone arguing that Aerys was better than Robert is reaching. Robert wasn't a good King, but he was better then Aerys.

Do you blame Ned too?

Honestly tho Aerys was one man who was mad in the Targaryen dynasty that wanted to burn a city.

In Robert's dynasty there are many people capable of burning a city from Cersei, Littlefinger, Tywin etc......

All Robert did with his dynasty was let people like the Lannisters, Littlefinger, Varys and other monsters gain control when they shouldn't have, Robert opened doors and gave massive power out to people who wanted to burn cities I don't think he's much better than Aerys.

I wouldn't want neither as my King or boss one would be a crazed pyro and the other would be a negligent loser who let sadistic freaks do their jobs.

Aerys burning the city would have been genocide whereas the burning in Robert's reign was scorched earth tactic, and it was after he died. Big difference.

Why shouldn't Robert have let LF, the Lannisters gain power? LF has proven to be very good at his job, and Tywin was proven to be a brilliant administrator under Aerys. Are you saying he should have spread out the power equally? That would have ended disastrously. Ned didn't want a lot of power, Balon likely would have screwed something up, Doran would not have been inclined to perform well for Robert and Mace would not have wanted to deal with Doran. Robert let those who had proven they could handle power handle it,

I guess that's why he was known as the Mad King. Not to mention, King Bob never planned to kill everyone in KL. Anyone arguing that Aerys was better than Robert is reaching. Robert wasn't a good King, but he was better then Aerys.

Well I weigh Robert and Aerys Kingship on whose reign is responsible for the possible end of the world, and oh Robert takes that one.

And I never said that Aerys was a better King than Robert, Robert was better but that's not saying much.

Well I weigh Robert and Aerys Kingship on whose reign is responsible for the end of the world, and oh Robert takes that one.

And I never said that Aerys was a better King than Robert, Robert was better but that's not saying much.

Robert's responsible for ending the world... why?

And do you blame Ned for the Rebellion too?

Robert's responsible for ending the world... why?

And do you blame Ned for the Rebellion too?

Cause his reign, family, advisers, guard all played a part in TWot5Ks. And him letting corrupt people into his court and not doing his job played a part in TWot5Ks which has weakened the realm for a ice zombie invasion.

And yes I blame Ned for the rebellion also along with Arryn, Hoster, Tywin and Rhaegar too

Archived