If Jon got wind of Cersei's plot.....

Winter's Prince

I don't see why Jon would have reacted differently to this plot than he did to Ramsay's threat. However, I think rather than march on KL he would have simply readied his defenses. 100 men is a lot but the Night's Watch, wildlings, and Stannis's rear defenses would have been able to slice Osney's crew to pieces if need be. That being said, if the Crown makes open war against the Night's Watch it could push Jon even further into Stannis's arms. I don't think even Bowen Marsh would reasonably expect the Watch to meekly submit to extermination at the hands of Cersei Lannister -- and realistically that's what would happen if they sent men over to kill Jon (unless Jon went without a fight).

Yea that one. I met to include the theory where some thought Bowen was working with Cersei and that's why he stabbed Jon

I've not seen that theory, but it seems a bit unlikely to me. There's no mention of it in Cersei's POV and Bowen seems genuinely motivated by his 'for the watch' shtick.

If it was true, and Jon knew, he'd either have Bowen consigned to the frost cells or chop his head off I guess. Bowen's treachery only worked because Jon didn't see it coming.

If Jon would have found about about the plot, its fair to assume the rest of the Watch and probably the Wildlings and Queen's men still at Castle Black would find out. Jon would not keep it a secret, at the very least Bowen and other leaders would be told, and from it would spread due to rumors and gossip. From there, Jon would shorten the Kettleblack by a head. And unless Kettleblack told the men he is to be sent to the Wall with, the other 99 would be given the benefit of the doubt.

Jon has proven to be a fair enough ruler that he would not just execute 1, let alone 100 men without both evidence and informing others to the plot. Jon may even allow for Kettleblack to try, in order to catch him in the act, or so Ghost can have some sweet southern meat for dinner.

yet if he just chops men's heads off with no proof of the plot the men of the watch might take it into their heads that he's being a bit of a tyrant. So the consipritors would have to brings themselves into the open.

If he knows enough to chop off heads, he has proof enough to publish it. And that would be disastrous PR for Cersei.

If he knows enough to chop off heads, he has proof enough to publish it. And that would be disastrous PR for Cersei.

Why? No one south of the Wall seems to care what happens at the Wall other than Stannis and his followers.

Why? No one south of the Wall seems to care what happens at the Wall other than Stannis and his followers.

It legitimizes Jon marching against the Iron Throne. Something the North is itching for. Furthermore, it threatens the other neutral organizations, like the Faith or the Citadel, who will take measures to prevent the same from happening to them. And by taking a dump on the oaths of the NW, a lot of feudal vassals will ask themselves what their own oaths and contracts with the Iron Throne are worth.

It legitimizes Jon marching against the Iron Throne. Something the North is itching for. Furthermore, it threatens the other neutral organizations, like the Faith or the Citadel, who will take measures to prevent the same from happening to them. And by taking a dump on the oaths of the NW, a lot of feudal vassals will ask themselves what their own oaths and contracts with the Iron Throne are worth.

The North is itching for revenge but I don't think they are stupid enough to think they could take the Iron Throne, nor do I think most of them would want that, and I am 100% they would not follow the deserting commander of the Night's Watch just because Cersei tried to have him killed. The Faith already knows Cersei had a High Septon killed so her trying to have the LC of the Night's Watch shouldn't really shock them.

The North is itching for revenge but I don't think they are stupid enough to think they could take the Iron Throne, nor do I think most of them would want that, and I am 100% they would not follow the deserting commander of the Night's Watch just because Cersei tried to have him killed. The Faith already knows Cersei had a High Septon killed so her trying to have the LC of the Night's Watch shouldn't really shock them.

Yeah, Jon could not lead another Northern assault on the South and Iron Throne just because Cersei had the idiotic idea to try to kill him. The North may want its revenge for Ned and Robb, but they are in turmoil already with the Boltons and Freys trying to take over, Stannis running around, and Winter arriving. Plus he is still Lord Commander of the Nights Watch, and the Night's Watch takes no part, and the North knows this and respects this, they would not at all like the idea of a Lord Commander trying to take war unto the Iron Throne, even the son and brother of Ned and their short lived King in the North.

The Night's Watch takes no part - until some idiot openly attacks it, making it legitimate self-defense.

Furthermore, the North is very much in favor of taking on the Iron Throne. Stannis' success proves that. And he is a Southerner!

I imagine most of them would still want no part, but even if they did go to war they don't have the numbers or the skill to be a difference maker.

That or they just want Bolton cleared out of the way.

I imagine most of them would still want no part, but even if they did go to war they don't have the numbers or the skill to be a difference maker.

That or they just want Bolton cleared out of the way.

It isn't the NW itself who'd do the fighting. But Jon Snow, who is suddenly able to gather followers en masse.

Also, Jon and the Watch heading south, along with Stannis, Northern Lords, and even Wildlings, that would just through the door open wide for The Others.

If Jon found out, she would kill the Kettleblack and any other of the 100 men that knew and/or aided him. Other then that, it would just push the North to Stannis, they would not leave the Wall and there really is no way for Jon to get out of his vows. Unless Stannis was back, and agreed to Stannis' deal to be legitimized and become Lord of Winterfell. Given that Bowen Marsh and other high ranking members of the Watch do not seem happy with Jon, I think it is feasible for them to find a way to release him from his oath. But the idea that a Man of the Nights Watch could get out of his oath would not sit all that well with the North. But I also think they would rally around a son of Ned Stark. They would still not march south, one because they would have to defeat the Boltons and Freys, deal with an eminent invasion from the Others, and Winter has Come. Plus how many men do you think the North could really field for an army? not enough to go south.

Archived