Finished ASOS

FakeJaqenH'ghar

First time poster. I have thoroughly enjoyed the series thus far, probably moreso than any piece of literature I've come across in my respectively short life. Question for those who have finished AFFC, is it as much of a struggle to get through as some reviews suggest? I find it difficult to believe but nonetheless, I want to hear the opinions of dedicated readers and fans such as yourselves before embarking on another magical journey in Westeros.

Oh yeah, Tyrion Lannister is a badass. Littlefinger is quite frightening.

For the night is dark, and full of terrors.

-Jaqen

I am also new to the forum and just started AFFC. I am only two chapters in but am trying to take it slow this time and enjoy the story. I flew through book 3 because I wanted to catch up before season 4 started. I wish I would've taken my time to enjoy it. So far I liked the prologue. The first chapter was also good. I'm just fearing it is going to focus too much on the Ironborn..... But I can't wait for the Cersi chapters!!!!

I read it in three weeks, about the same time as ASOS (and I read them back to back). So, obviously I didn't find it hard to get through at all, I enjoyed it, although what some people may not like much is the fact that there are quite a few new characters being introduced as POVs (especially at the beginning of the book), and new locations, while some of the main characters aren't in the book since AFFC and ADWD are basically two parts of the same book, split by locations, and happening at the same time (Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Team Dragonstone are among those who don't appear in AFFC, only in ADWD). Also, the book has less big, climactic moments than the other ones - there are no big battles in this one.

I think that your enjoyment will mostly depend on how much you like the characters who are in the book, and whether you enjoy the new locations/characters (the Ironborn and Dorne). I didn't like the Ironborn on the first read, apart from Asha, who I already liked, but the fact that 6 of the POV characters in the book are among my top 10 (or rather top 11) characters, that another one, who has the most chapters, is a character I always found very interesting and kinda loved to hate, and that my favorite non-POV character gets talked about a lot, may be why I liked the book.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and have not been able to find AFFC anywhere. I was able to get ASOS at the public library and the local Shopko had ADWD, so I missed AFFC and will be reading out of order. Yes, I know I can order it on Amazon, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I usually read series in order, but it looks like ADWD picks up where ASOS left off at least as far as Tyrion, Daenerys, Stannis and Jon are concerned, so reading these out of order might not be too bad.

I am looking forward to reading the Cersei chapters, as her POV should be interesting to say the least.

I appreciate the responses and insight, providing me with a warm welcome to the forum.

So whats the verdict on the order of things following ASOS? AFFC/ADWD are basically the same book in terms of time frame, but divided according to the "geographical happenings" for lack of a better word?

"As we sin, we suffer. But tell me, why is it always the innocents who suffer most?"

-Jaqen

I appreciate the responses and insight, providing me with a warm welcome to the forum.

So whats the verdict on the order of things following ASOS? AFFC/ADWD are basically the same book in terms of time frame, but divided according to the "geographical happenings" for lack of a better word?

Well, not exactly. AFFC and the first 2/3 of ADWD are in the same time frame, but divided geographically; however, ADWD is longer than AFFC and covers a larger time frame, and around the last third of ADWD, the POV characters from AFFC start appearing and you get to see a continuation of their storylines, together with the continuation of the storylines of ADWD characters.

Therefore, you can't read ADWD before AFFC. You can either 1) read the entire AFFC first - which is the simplest thing to do, or 2) try to read both of them at the same time; some people have made a chronological list of chapters, it's somewhere online.

AFFC is actually my second favourite book, after ASOS. The only reason it's not my favourite is cuz Bran has no chapters, and his chapters are my favourites.

I was a little worried before I started reading it because I had heard lots of bad reviews, but in the end I loved it. For me personally, I found it to be a very interesting book. I loved meeting so many new characters and going more in depth to some of the houses (Greyjoy, Martell, etc.) And as most people already said, Cersei chapters are the best :P

I'm also new to the forum and reading AFFC for the first time.I like it very much, because as some other before me stated, we get to see a lot more of Westeros. The chapters on the Irond Islands are interesting and I like Dorne. And Cersei as a POV is very, very interesting.

So, I like it, but it's not my favourite... So far.

Archived