Westeros needs Fox Tossing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_tossing

This sounds like a perfect activity for the nobles of KL, the Reach, etc.

Fox tossing was a popular competitive blood sport in parts of Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries, which involved throwing live foxes and other animals high into the air. It was practiced by members of the aristocracy in an enclosed patch of ground or in a courtyard, using slings with a person on each end to catapult the fox upwards. It was particularly popular for mixed couples, though it was hazardous for both the tossed animals and the people launching them.

The same contest also saw the introduction of three wolves, but the reaction of the participants to this unusual departure is not recorded

Not only does it fit the personality of people like Joffrey, but it would give GRRM ample room for slipping in all kinds of foreshadowing, prophecies, etc.

There was all kinds of brutal sports like that in the Middle Ages: bear baiting, bull baiting (what bull dogs and pit bulls were originally bred for), cock fighting, stallion fighting. Oh, and let's not leave out the Romans. And probably other civilizations that I haven't mentioned as well--just so no one feels left out. Oh, and the revered Central Asian tradition of playing rugby on horseback with a goat carcass.

Gander pulling was something I heard in horse circles occasionally. I had always thought it was like the phrase "take a gander at this" and was just showing off ergo "pulling a gander." Turns out I was mistaken. A goose or gander would be tied to a high pole and a horseback rider would gallop past, grab the goose and gallop on so that the goose was dismembered. Used to be used in skill at arms expositions and as a pastime by cavalries.

Since GRRM hasn't been afraid of showing ANY form of brutality, it is a little surprising that he hasn't written more on this kind of subject. You used Joffrey as an example, perhaps Joffrey to "entertain" the captive Sansa finds a wolf and puts it in a pit to fight a lion. Lion wins and Joffrey threatens her with that if she doesn't cooperate. Or to give Joffrey a literal "pet the dog" moment, he gets into bear beating and begins breeding special mastiffs to fight bears in pits. While he is cruel to humans, it may have given him just a little sympathy to love one of his dogs.

Again, just speculation on my part. But you do bring up a good subject.

Archived