George has released a NEW.......Paragraph!

This week, Martin posted a paragraph from the forthcoming installment of the Game of Thrones series. Yes, a paragraph… one single paragraph. But it’s about Tyrion, indicating that Martin has somehow kept himself from killing yet another fan favorite character, at least so far:

TYRION

Somewhere off in the far distance, a dying man was screaming for his mother. “To horse!” a man was yelling in Ghiscari, in the next camp to the north of the Second Sons. “To horse! To horse!” High and shrill, his voice carried a long way in the morning air, far beyond his own encampment. Tyrion knew just enough Ghiscari to understand the words, but the fear in his voice would have been plain in any tongue. I know how he feels.

And that’s it. Ever content to tease his loyal readers, Martin only lets us know that Tyrion is alive and apparently in the vicinity of a sizable battle. Not an ideal place for the Lannister imp, but a mite bit better than the dungeon the fourth season of Game of Thrones will find him in.

Whereas viewers of the Game of Thrones HBO series have been waiting since July of last year for the fourth season, readers of the A Song of Ice and Fire series – of which A Game of Thrones is the title of the first entry – have been waiting for new material from Martin since the fifth book’s release in 2011. The last entry, A Dance with Dragons, left a number of characters in dire straits, a coup or two there, some broken dreams here, and some characters continuing the only path they really could have.

Entertainment Weekly was quick to point out that this will not be the only snippet Martin releases to sate readers’ cravings. A forthcoming update to the World of Ice and Fire app on iOS and Android will contain yet another preview chapter.

Cool right? So that means we will actually get a new Tyrion sample chapter soon. I can't wait. Let me know what you guys think about this in the comments below.

So is this good news for a WoW release this year? Or likely just another hold me over because theirs still a 2 year wait? Still crossing my fingers for 2014 release.

That depends. I had a conversation about this on WiC.net the other day.

For ADWD GRRM officially released 5 chapters (and he read some more at conventions). With this new chapter, GRRM will have released 4 official chapters for tWoW (+a bunch of others he read at cons).

If he follows the same pattern (and I see no reason why not, they'll be about the same length) tWoW might be well underway. Since he has only one chapter left to officially release (our Christmas present for 2014 the optimist in me guesses). This could be a very good sign.

I'll include the quote from the WiC.net post here:

Adam Whitehead: Not too many. The Prologue, the first Daenerys, the first Tyrion and I think the first Jon. More were read out at conventions, but those four I believe were the only ones put on his website. Oh, and the first Reek/Theon chapter was released in a magazine as well, so five in total.

The last thing I remember hearing was that he was 1000 pages in, but I can't recall when or where this was said. At any rate, I'm feeling optimistic about a 2015 release date, perhaps foolishly.

Is that 1,000 pages of the first draft or a later draft?

That depends. I had a conversation about this on WiC.net the other day.

For ADWD GRRM officially released 5 chapters (and he read some more at conventions). With this new chapter, GRRM will have released 4 official chapters for tWoW (+a bunch of others he read at cons).

If he follows the same pattern (and I see no reason why not, they'll be about the same length) tWoW might be well underway. Since he has only one chapter left to officially release (our Christmas present for 2014 the optimist in me guesses). This could be a very good sign.

I'll include the quote from the WiC.net post here:

I don't think that's a reliable way to measure progress. Especially when your sample group consists of one book; not a great foundation to build a pattern on.

Archived