George has released a NEW.......Paragraph!

I feel that Winds is closer to being done than people think. I think this because George's blog is not being updated like it usually is every other day. I feel it is not being updated because he is in one of his writing zones and busy writing Winds.

I have a source at Random House who told me today that Bantam is announcing the release date of The Winds of Winter this month....Yes this MONTH!!. I obviously cannot give up my source but it is truth my fellow Lordlings. The Manuscript has not been handed in yet, allegedly. Release date in the Random House computer system says "2015" that is until Bantam announces the release date this month.

If we look back at ADWD and when its release date was announced and soon after ADWD was available in bookstores......Then its not too far off that we might actually see the Winds of Winter in stores around the same time Game of Thrones season 4 ends...maybe June-July....I will post again as soon as I hear from my source again.

There is a 'latest news on TWoW' sticky in the ADWD thread. That is all the information we should going with for now.

To recap:

GRRM's UK publishers have ruled out a 2014 publication, but think that 2015 may still be possible. Representatives of GRRM's American publishers were reported to be telling people 2015 at Comic-Con last year. GRRM's international agents have been saying 2016. On that basis, 2014 I think can be safely ruled out. The book would basically need to be done now to make a mid-to-late 2014 publication possible.

GRRM has said that this book will be about 1,500 manuscript pages in length, about the same as ADWD and ASoS. A couple of times he has said that book will be more than a thousand MS pages in length. He has not completed 1,000 MS pages, and seemed to get rather irritated when some magazines and websites reported this as fact.

As of April 2013, the book was a quarter-done, it is estimated in finalised and fully-edited chapters. That's 15-17 chapters, maybe 375 MS pages (including material left over from ADWD), with an unknown amount of material in first draft or fragments. That was a year ago, so he may have done more and potentially a lot more since then, but we have not had a formal or even an off-the-cuff update about progress since then.

I have a source at Random House who told me today that Bantam is announcing the release date of The Winds of Winter this month

I consider this extremely unlikely. The UK publishers, who are more in the know than we are, would not have been so adamant that the book wasn't out this year if this was the case.

I would love to be wrong on this, and it would be a spectacular turn-about in form from GRRM to have almost completed the book in such a short timespan. I am highly skeptical, however.

"Short Timespan" ??? Over 3 years is not a short timespan. and you consider it to be unlikely ...that means you also consider it to be possible. Only time will tell.....And if Bantam does announce the release date this month then will be proven correct.

and that whole estimate of George only being a a quarter of the way done is absolete now. He could be finished entirely. How would we know? But I'll tell you this.....if the release date is going to be announced this month....then we know for a fact that he is done and it will be a 2014 release date.

The sane part of me says that a release within the next twelve months is out of the question... but there's the optimistic/deluded part of my brain that's saying "What if GRRM has been so quiet and his agents are ruling out 2014 because GRRM wants to pull a fast one on all of us and make a 2014 release announcement that will be more unexpected than the Spanish Inquisition?"

Yes, as a fan since 2004 I should know better after going through the wait for ADWD, but...

There is a 'latest news on TWoW' sticky in the ADWD thread. That is all the information we should going with for now.

To recap:

GRRM's UK publishers have ruled out a 2014 publication, but think that 2015 may still be possible. Representatives of GRRM's American publishers were reported to be telling people 2015 at Comic-Con last year. GRRM's international agents have been saying 2016. On that basis, 2014 I think can be safely ruled out. The book would basically need to be done now to make a mid-to-late 2014 publication possible.

not true at all. GRRM didn't finish ADWD until May 2011 and the book was released only 3 months after that point. A fast publication is indeed possible as GRRM himself has said quite a large number of times. If the demand is high enough the publisher will supply

I personally think the twitter comment is being taken wayyyyyyyyy too serious. GRRM's publisher isn't in the writing room with him and has no idea how much writing the guy has done these past few months. She also made a really bad joke saying the book was coming out in July at first, so I'm not taking anything from her serious

That being said I'm not expecting to read the book anytime soon. Those side projects which I'll never read, really did slow GRRM's writing down. So the guys probably a year behind on his progress on WoW as things stand

The date being released this month, doesn't give us any indication of what the date is. Would be great if it was going to be this year.

It depends in part on how GRRM works. Does he wait to send his manuscript in until it's nearly perfect, enabling the publishers to basically rubber-stamp it and get it into production in a hurry? Does he count pages written by first draft pages, or by polished, finalized ones? Does he work on a chapter by chapter basis, or count in whole drafts?

Oh, and I should ask...do his books release at the same time in the US and the UK?

The last actual update that we got from Grrm was in April 2013 when he said that he had a quarter of a book done. Fans went on to assume that meant 400 pages. More than likely Grrm was roughly estimating and it's entirely possible that he had more written. It's been almost a year since then. I wouldn't be surprised if he's at least at the halfway point.

I have a source at Random House who told me today that Bantam is announcing the release date of The Winds of Winter this month....Yes this MONTH!!. I obviously cannot give up my source but it is truth my fellow Lordlings. The Manuscript has not been handed in yet, allegedly. Release date in the Random House computer system says "2015" that is until Bantam announces the release date this month.

If we look back at ADWD and when its release date was announced and soon after ADWD was available in bookstores......Then its not too far off that we might actually see the Winds of Winter in stores around the same time Game of Thrones season 4 ends...maybe June-July....I will post again as soon as I hear from my source again.

Sounds almost too good to be true.I hope your source is legit and knows what he or she is talking about. If that's true it would be sensational. But I rather remain skeptical until it's finally time to party.

I have an unknown source that says your unknown source sounds made up

I consider this extremely unlikely. The UK publishers, who are more in the know than we are, would not have been so adamant that the book wasn't out this year if this was the case.

To play devil's advocate, perhaps they were so adamant to deny it because they were mad that the release date got leaked. Hypothetically if it does come out in 2014, it would make sense for the UK publishers to deny the 2014 release right now because they want to have a big surprise announcment for the release date.

In October of 2012, GRRM stated that he had written 400 pages of WoW, but that only half of that was "really finished." These 200 finished pages are probably what GRRM removed from DwD and has shared with us as sample chapters. GRRM also stated that he "looked forward" to publish WoW in 2014, but admitted that he is "really bad with predictions." That, as far as I know, is the last official update we've heard from GRRM on WoW.

What about what Cunningham and Dotrice said about the book?

I hope this inside source is right, although I know it sounds a little bit sketchy. I do really have the feeling that the book is coming out around 2014/2015, I get that people are sceptical but still, it isn't like he hasn't done it before, the first 3 books took him each around 2/3 years, DWD was released in the summer of 2011, his biggest problem with 4 and 5 was the meereenese knot and it's solved, it is known that once you are reaching the end the writing becomes easier.
Maybe im way of but this radio silence from george and all of the other people telling things which contradict each other again and again + his empty agenda seem really suspicious to me...

What about what Cunningham and Dotrice said about the book?

I hope this inside source is right, although I know it sounds a little bit sketchy. I do really have the feeling that the book is coming out around 2014/2015, I get that people are sceptical but still, it isn't like he hasn't done it before, the first 3 books took him each around 2/3 years, DWD was released in the summer of 2011, his biggest problem with 4 and 5 was the meereenese knot and it's solved, it is known that once you are reaching the end the writing becomes easier.

Maybe im way of but this radio silence from george and all of the other people telling things which contradict each other again and again + his empty agenda seem really suspicious to me...

Yes we can add also that he spoke of an annoucement soon, certainly at the Season 4 premiere at his theater which is March 29th so it's this month. I want to believe !!

Archived