George has released a NEW.......Paragraph!

Well, in that new Vanity Fair stuff that was in the news these past few days GRRM was quoted as still having hope that the TV series wouldn't finish before the books, and with 7 seasons almost being a certainty he will pretty much have to be done writing TWOW sometime this year, I'd say. And that would mean a 2014 or 2015 release. I know it's hard to imagine given all the man's side projects, but you cannot have TWOW releasing in 2016 and then ADOS one year later. Well, theoretically it could happen, but that seems very unlikely.

Anyway, I still have some hope Winds will at least be finished this year, if not published.

I read this week on that HBO is planning a 7 or 8 season of GOT.

So after adapting the first three books quite faithfully into four seasons, they're going to cram the last four (and much larger) books into three seasons.

I'm telling you, after S4 GoT will have a huge drop in quality.

I doubt that. Because they have such a massive amount of material to cover in only three seasons, they can pick and choose the best storylines. They can omit the stupid shit that dragged on in AFFC & ADWD. They can focus and make the primary stories more comprehensive. I for one am excited to see what they can do with such freedom.

That's the first thing I noticed. :D For good 5 minutes I thought the rogue prince was Aemond. :lol: My mind was tickled by that little piece of information.

I too think it is about S4 premiere in LA.

Aemond will most likely be in there as well :) Daemon lived in KL for a while, perhaps after Aemond had already been born? The incident between Lucerys and Aemond (and perhaps others) most likely happened after Daemon married Rhaenyra, since Lucerys cannot have been older than 3 before the marriage occured. And for a three year old to cause a boy 5 years older than him to lose an eye, that's highly unlikely.

Perhaps that incident was one of the reasons Daemon no longer was the Lord Commander of the Gold Cloaks, and lost his place on the Small Council.

You are correct sir. But think about it. They will end GoT with the seventh season. 7 gods, 7 books, 7 kingdoms, 7 seasons. 8 would make it look sloppy.

If this was about art and symbolism I would absolutely agree, but it's not. This is television. If they think they can make more money with an 8th season, and have the material for it (and can get all the actors back), there's a good chance they'll do it.

What if we end up with an 8th book? It was supposed to be three originally and I doubt GRRM added more kingdoms and gods to match the increase in volumes.

AMC split Breaking Bad's final season into two, and will do the same with Mad Man. Sopranos also split their final season. It isn't unheard of, but I don't think fans give enough weight to the impact the ages of the child actors will have on the their planned schedule for adaptation. Just look at Isaac H. Wright between season 3 and 4. This is a consideration not specific to the timeline of the show, but also the books, in which the narrative has only progressed 2 - 3 years. They will not go beyond eight, but George clearly believes they will. He claims, in the VF interview, that there is sufficient material between AFfC and ADwD to create three seasons. It's through this assumption that he still claims it might be tight -- not through the expectation that by fall of 2016, the final moments of his final book will have been filmed.

Think about that. He believes that by the point D&D plan to have completed the series, they will in fact have only filmed five of the seven books. Presumably, TWoW and ADoS at 3000 manuscript pages will provide material enough for another three seasons, translating into a 10-year series (2 years longer than maximum length as decreed by both D&D and HBO). I don't believe George has inside information, I just think he genuinely believes they will cave and capitulate to his own pace. I also believe he thinks D&D have greater reverence for the books than the series, and won't sacrifice entire arcs in the most stagnant portions of his story.

TWoW will likely be published next year, and ADoS in 2019, a year or two after the GoT finale. Fire and Blood will come four years after that, and in thirty years, we'll tell our children why we both hated and loved one of the greatest fantasists of our time.

I've been asked to comment on the claim that a release date for TWoW is imminent.

It is not. The book is not yet done, and no firm release date can be given until that time.

At most, RH may update their prediction for a release date in the retailer catalogs, but that is a prediction at the very best.

I've been asked to comment on the claim that a release date for TWoW is imminent.

It is not. The book is not yet done, and no firm release date can be given until that time.

At most, RH may update their prediction for a release date in the retailer catalogs, but that is a prediction at the very best.

Thanks for the update Ran. I knew it was too good to be true and that kid was talking out of his ass.

At least we have the World of Ice and Fire coming out this year

Just wondering, was it some fans or officials who asked you to comment?

Seven seasons sounds impossible to me, not that I'd know anything about it.

I do think it's impossible, but on the other hand it kind of excites me. To think that they might power through the story at an absurd breakneck speed -- I'm kind of curious to see them try. And I think the seven season framework lends more likely to reaching a conclusion that bares less similarity to the original ending, which would be good for book readers.

As for Winds, alas, I never expected it soon anyway. As long as we get it at all, I'll be satisfied.

Seven seasons sounds impossible to me, not that I'd know anything about it.

The producers say 7. The 4th season being a turning point, half way- and it really is, when you think about it, the amount of time spent on planning and preparations only (setting the scenes, locations not included) is vast and goes years prior to filming. I read that the scripts are written 1.5 year in advance. If you are in the business of planning the future, the moment is now,and now is 7, apparently.

I've read GRRM's interview in Vanity Fair, he says -

The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons. A Dance With Dragons is itself a book thats as big as A Storm of Swords . So theres potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms].Now, Feast and Dance take place simultaneously. So you cant do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And its my hope that theyll do it that way and then, long before

they catch up with me, Ill have published The Winds of Winter , whichll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring , as they juggernaut forward.

What's truly alarming is relying on others to provide extra time... TWoW is going to be the size of ADwD, and will it be given 2 seasons as well? A season and a half? What about ADoS? That just doesn't add up.

I want to be supportive of the author I respect so much, actually, it is the respect that demands support even though my mind explodes at this type of exaggeration. Makes no sense. Illogical,from production's POV unfeasible, perhaps. /screaming

Archived