Sins that don't get enough mention/hate on the forums

AintNoStark

Like we all speak a lot about red wedding etc but there are lots of bad actions in the series that do not seem to get enough hatred. What sins in your opinion are an example of such? For me it is Cersei's treatment of baby Tyrion.... He's a fucking newborn for crying out loud.

Tywin sexually, emotionally and verbally abusing Tyrion
[\Quote]

Well, you can't say he doesn't get what he's deserved for that eventually, so there's not really much need to "hate" him for that anymore, is there? (I should perhaps have Spoiler-marked this but for my life I cannot find the Spoiler-marking button in the editor...)

I'm a bit leery of the word 'sin' because it drags along all kinds of unnecessary (religious mumbo-jumbo) baggage, but maybe that's just me.

I think Arya backstabbingly murdering that deserting Night's Watch guy named Dareon in Braavos was kinda off-putting. Reading these forums, I sometimes get the impression as if that act was somehow morally justified - which, frankly, it wasn't. It was creepy. It was cold-blooded murder.

Cersei's various atrocities, which sometimes seem to get a free pass (presumably by some motherly female readers). "Oh, but she loves her children so much." - Well, right... Hitler loved his dogs. Now isn't he adorable? :bs:

Seriously, how can anyone still be rooting for her? GRRM is a freaking genius. Not to mention Lena Headey.

Honestly, with characters like Gregor, Cersei, Tywin, Ramsay, etc. it's probably too much to catalogue their various sins because they have so many in such rapid succession with increasingly flimsy justifications. I find that characters like Tyrion, Dany, etc. receive more criticism not because their crimes are necessarily worse but because there is enough reason given in the story to expect more from them, so when they fall short it's more offensive/upsetting than when Gregor massacres yet another village or when Cersei packs off another preteen girl to be tortured to death.

Archived