Dornish Essays from Adam Feldman

Mithras

Adam Feldman started a new series of essays concering Dorne here.

I am really grateful for this work because Dornish Problem in the series is very hard to solve.

Dorne is extremely important to the story because

1. They were one of the main poles of Robert's Rebellion through Elia and Lewyn Martell
  2. They were one of the main reasons of the First Blackfyre Rebellion. Dany I was sold to Dorne, Daeron II married a Dornish princess and the court was filled with Dornish influence. Blackfyre problem is one of the major plot points of the current saga.
  3. The looming Dornish presence always troubled the Targaryens. Aegon I failed to conquer Dorne. Targaryens tried again after dealing with their civil war and conquered Dorne. However, they failed to hold it. Finally they married the Dornish into the realm but that did not end their problems as well.

Although Dorne is of primary importance, GRRM seemingly introduced them very lately in the series. And worse, he gives us Dorne through the POVs of Areo (a simple man) and Arianne (totally unreliable). Doran does not let people know more than they should. That is why, it is relatively harder to crack into Doran's head.

I am looking forward to later installments by Adam Feldman. I will present my opinions about the first essay a little later.

Excellent stuff Paper Waver, thanks for bringing his new essay to everyone's attention! Especially appreciated his interpretation of the blood orange as something other than the "plans past their expiration date" symbolism that one normally hears about.

Archived