Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

I really doubt that, cause not having a PS3 I never had the pleasure of playing MGS4.

Well, i'm pretty sure about this actually. Maybe you read it on the wiki then? Cause you linked the wiki.

In the first game Liquid tells you you're a clone of Big Boss and that iis pretty much it. I can't recall if Liquid mentions the coma but he might do it.

But Big Mama(Eva from mgs 3) gives you the complete story about Les Enfamt Terribles in a 15 minute long curscene in the third act of mgs4.

And I'm not questioning the coma itself, I just think 9 years is too long a time for being in a coma. Surely there are other ways in which you can use a time jump.

But my point is more that while the game series was originally a story about Solid Snake, it is now almost more focused on Big Boss. If you exclude the Nes games you have 3 solid snake games (although mgs2 is actually raiden-centric and not snake game) and 4 big boss games (if you count portable ops). And thereby all the retcons follow.

For example, in mgs1 the Metal Gear REX is a state of the art new technoligy who is as dangerous as it is advanced. But in the prequels Big Boss has encoyntered more advanced and fangerous machines and technoligy. So now Metal Gear Rex's importance seem a bit diminuished.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the series, and its maybe my all time favorite. But you gotta know how to strike a balance with the stories. And i think it is getting retconned more and more.

Spent an hour or so on the original Dark Souls. Mitigated the worst problems of the PC version through patching, graphics mods (hooray for proper 1080p, though trying to make it 60fps results in some odd results) and using a 360 controller, and I have to say I'm having a thoroughly tedious time of it. The total lack of story or explanation for anything beyond the less-than-bare-bones introduction means I don't give a shit about anything that's happening, the game has respawning enemies (utterly unacceptable in any modern game, in my view) and the constant deaths thing is simply tedious when it dumps you back 5 minutes from where you died and having to fight half a dozen respawning enemies just to get back to where you were. And deaths though failing to analyse an enemy's attack pattern are fine, but a few of them have been through either the stiffness of the controller (almost 20 years of mouselook makes using a thumbstick to look around painfully slow) or slow response times to button presses.

I might give it another go with a keyboard+mouse mod which is supposed to make it a lot better. But so far, underwhelmed.

I'm going to say this game is just not for you. I can't speak to control issues on PC. I play on PS3 and have never had any issues. But I also always play on PS3.

But if you find the lack of exposition and respawning enemies to be a problem, then maybe you should walk away now. It's never going to tell you what's going on unless you dig for it, and it's just going to throw tougher enemies at you.

I grew up on NES games that did exactly the same thing. Only you also had a limited amount of tries, and if you ran out of lives you had to start the whole game over. And enemies even respawned when you moved the camera away and then back. You died? Do the whole level again, with all the enemies back in place, and hope that you get to the boss with enough life to finish him. Whatever, that's fun for me. I don't need a checkpoint every 2 minutes, and get bored walking through levels with nothing to do. I play games for the game, not the story. Most modern games are 1 time experiences that often fail to hold my interest for even the 1 time. Whereas Souls games keep me coming back for more no matter how many times I've beaten them.

I also prefered it when RPG's had random battles.

I almost agreed with this except for the fact that I wasted over an hour of game time in FFX because I couldn't find a save point. I wouldn't say it's a hard game because it's not, but it's SO time consuming. It's bothersome because you never know when you're going to get into a fight, instead of just avoiding them altogether.

I'd typically grind the hell out of RPG's. I find it bothersome having to reload areas to get more enemies to show up, when before I just had to walk around for a few seconds.

But, yeah, there were times that it could get annoying too.

I'm going to say this game is just not for you. I can't speak to control issues on PC. I play on PS3 and have never had any issues. But I also always play on PS3.

But if you find the lack of exposition and respawning enemies to be a problem, then maybe you should walk away now. It's never going to tell you what's going on unless you dig for it, and it's just going to throw tougher enemies at you.

I grew up on NES games that did exactly the same thing. Only you also had a limited amount of tries, and if you ran out of lives you had to start the whole game over. And enemies even respawned when you moved the camera away and then back. You died? Do the whole level again, with all the enemies back in place, and hope that you get to the boss with enough life to finish him. Whatever, that's fun for me. I don't need a checkpoint every 2 minutes, and get bored walking through levels with nothing to do. I play games for the game, not the story. Most modern games are 1 time experiences that often fail to hold my interest for even the 1 time. Whereas Souls games keep me coming back for more no matter how many times I've beaten them.

The original Ninja Gaiden's and Double Dragon's come to mind when it comes to this, some of my favorite games ever. The whole point of the souls series is that they take that original aspect in those old games, give it a polish, and use it in an RPG setting which typically aren't 'difficult' that can't be overcome by grinding.

Here is a great summation of why (some) people love this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lnq44iwiVM&list=UUe0DNp0mKMqrYVaTundyr9w

I'm in total agreement about Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon. Especially Ninja Gaiden. On a side note, I didn't realize that game was so hard until a couple of years ago. Never had an issue with it as a kid.

Also, here's an article that goes into the appeal of Souls games.

The Glorious and Necessary Torture of Dark Souls

I'm not trying to convince anybody that they need to play it though. Some of us like it, some don't. NBD. But the article does make some interesting observations about how we consume entertainment.

I liked that article, eventually, but I had to wade through a lot of shit first. The game does not make me break out into a sweat or suffer panic attacks. A bit overwrought, or else he's a big weenie.

I'll admit I physically jumped out of my chair when I beat O&S, but that's about it. Guy's seriously overreacting.

The game isn't that hard. Check out Kay's youtube blind Lets Play: she basically does an excellent job of talking everything through, thinking about things, and playing the game "right." Its not that she's good at the game, its that she's good at taking her time, looking at the environment, and observing enemies. (She also noticed early on that sorcery is pretty overpowered and went with that, which did help somewhat). Her ease in Sen's Fortress (which caused a lot of rage among reviewers about instakill no-warning traps) was pretty awesome since, well, it turns out there is LOTS of warning. For all of them. The game even clues you in that there are giant traps littered all over the place so maybe you should slow down a bit at the gate.

I liked that article, eventually, but I had to wade through a lot of shit first. The game does not make me break out into a sweat or suffer panic attacks. A bit overwrought, or else he's a big weenie.

My controller is soaked and my heart is typically racing after beating a boss I've been having trouble with for the last 2 hours (FU Vendrick!). To each there own, but I totally relate to the feeling.

The game isn't that hard. Check out Kay's youtube blind Lets Play: she basically does an excellent job of talking everything through, thinking about things, and playing the game "right." Its not that she's good at the game, its that she's good at taking her time

Totally agree, it forces the player to have a different mentality than the typical hack and slash or RPG.

Archived