Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

Focus more on the negatives is putting it lightly, in all the videos of his I ever watched I think Psychonauts is the only one I ever saw him say anything positive in. But like I said I've only seen his really old videos from like 2007-2009.

He hates multiplayer, which makes me think he won't bother reviewing Titanfall, though perhaps he will because it's the most hyped game for Xb one right now and he wants to see what all the hype is about. But other than that there are a slew of games he likes from all manner of genres. It's pretty easy to tell when he likes a game.

Compare this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8665-Knack

with this http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/8347-The-Legend-of-Zelda-The-Windwaker-HD

There's plenty of reviews of his I don't agree with, like he doesn't like the Uncharted series but I do, but I still had a good cackle over his reviews. He liked the inFamous games as I do and I think it's a very underrated series. I'm a bit worried that he's looking askance as Second Sons because he thinks inFamous 2 tied up the story nicely and shouldn't be tampered with. He also praised X-Com Enemy Unknown, and despite not liking anime in any way he admitted Valkyria Chronicles made him realise that turn-based strategy games can be good.

I do admit I check Metacritic rather than look at any one reviewer. But that doesn't stop me from buying a game I think is the sort of game I will like. And I certainly don't go out and buy a game just because it got 95 on Metacritic. I certainly got burned with Ocarina of Time, though not because of the meta score but because of all the fellating that game gets by the LoZ fans everywhere on the internet.

I make most of my game buying decisions on the views of forum dwellers like the good folks here. People here said X-com Enemy Unknown was great and I knew it had similar squad-based turn-based strategy gameplay to Valkyria Chronicles, so I got the game and I liked it.

Which reviewers do you guys trust mostly? Recently I started watching Adam Sessler on Rev3games, and I find that his reviews are pretty informative and honest. I also read Eurogamer, as they seem to have more of a relaxed, unbiased look at things (e.g. they didn't hesitate to give GTA V a 9 instead of 10! With sound reasoning! The horror!).

Usually I'll just trawl through different forums and read how people enjoyed it. I tend to be behind on my games (only bought CK2 a couple of months ago) so I feel that helps a bit in weeding out the initial craziness (This game is going to redefine humanity!/This game is literally Hitler 2.0).

Kevin Conroy will be back as Batman in Arkham Knight, which is good news (though the guy in Origins was okay).

Oddly:

The 'Arkham Knight' isn't Batman but a new supervillain created especially for this game.

There is that, but Origins is a really good game too. More of an expansion obviously but I still love it.

It's the worst game of the three, but it's still enjoyable. I put 22 hours into it before finishing it off, so it's also the longest of the three. However, it's also bugged to fuckery and all the way back again and they've made it clear they will not fix them, which is pretty annoying.

The first two games were very, er, rock steady though, with no bugs at all. Arkham Knight should not have the same problems.

A cash-in pointless sequel is the general opinion.

Not quite. There's one section which may be the highlight of the entire series:

The game wastes a lot of its prequel potential apart from two things: it establishes the Batman/Gordon relationship very well and it does a

brilliant job of setting up the Joker/Batman relationship. The sequence where the Joker realises that Batman is his mirror image whilst recounting his mental history to Harley Quinn is extremely well-handled. There's also a terrific bit at the end where the game segues into the start of Arkham Asylum and links everything up and explains the name of the game: Batman was, without realising it, creating the first wave of Arkham Asylum's inmates and that was confirmed when Blackgate Prison is destroyed and the prisoners need somewhere else to go. It was also quite subtly handled.

Otherwise yeah, there's a lot wrong with it. But those bits, the improved combat and the really good boss fights (better than those in the first two, which were just crap) made it worthwhile.

Re: trusted reviewers, I pretty much trust no one's actual reviews. Not even Giant Bomb, who are disqualified by their sheer incompetence at game playing. GB's Quick Looks, on the other hand, usually give me a pretty good basis from which to make my own decisions. They are anything but quick, so there's plenty of gameplay to be seen, and Jeff & Co. often ask the sorts of questions that I want the answers to, which few reviews do because they are meant to be skimmed in five minutes.

I have found that the best remaining method is a combination of word of mouth and exceptionally high standards. My friends know the kinds of games I like and don't like, I'm relatively in touch with my own preferences these days, and time is scarce enough that I only really want to play the absolute creme de la creme of what's on offer.

I'm relatively in touch with my own preferences these days

This is probably the most important part, honestly. Once you know what you like, pretty much any strong description of a game will let you know whether you'll like it. You just have to assess the game vs your mental list of attributes that you look for. Much as I like TB, I tend to disregard some of his hobby horses, like demanding that every game be non linear and have an epic graphics menu.

Re: Star Citizen: I'll play Squadron 42, but the main game looks much too MMO for me. I prefer games with endings these days.

Amy Hennig, creative director of the Uncharted series, has left Naughty Dog

Naughty Dog say this will not affect development of the series. Bruce Staley and Neil Druckmann will apparently be taking over for UC4. The two of them were in charge of The Last of Us and worked with Hennig on UC2, which in my opinion was the best game of the series so I'm pretty hopeful that UC4 will be pretty damn awesome.

OnLive now links with your Steam account, which improves its actual usefulness by 50,000%

So if you own a game on Steam and that game is also on OnLive, you can play it on the streaming service anywhere. I used OnLive when it first came out and it was superb (with a reasonable internet connection, it has to be said). This makes it even more viable, and makes me wonder if Valve are eying it up to integrate it fully with Steam.

OnLive now links with your Steam account, which improves its actual usefulness by 50,000%

Oh wow, that gives me cause to try it again. I actually played Human Revolution all the way through on my Macbook Pro using Onlive right when it came out. I didn't have a PC back then, but remember how they packed in those Onlive codes (and gamestop ripped them out, lol), so I was able to buy a code from someone right at launch for $25. Sometimes I got error messages, but by and large I had a really good experience with Onlive. I could see myself using it occasionally when I travel and have a laptop.

With stuff like this and cross buy from Sony, I wonder if companies are slowly trying to accommodate the fact that gamers don't want to buy their shit multiple times just to play it on different devices.

ETA: omg, it'll even pull your saves from steam cloud. I wouldn't mind seeing valve acquire them.

Amy Hennig, creative director of the Uncharted series, has left Naughty Dog

Naughty Dog say this will not affect development of the series. Bruce Staley and Neil Druckmann will apparently be taking over for UC4. The two of them were in charge of The Last of Us and worked with Hennig on UC2, which in my opinion was the best game of the series so I'm pretty hopeful that UC4 will be pretty damn awesome.

PleaseMakeALegacyOfKainGame

They're making a Legacy of Kain game, but it's some sort of Free to Play multiplayer thing. : /

How on earth they decided that was a good idea for the franchise is beyond me. They've got fans of the series rallying against it before it's even out of alpha, would have been more successful if they had just made a unique F2P game I think since they wouldn't have the pre-release hostility.

How on earth they decided that was a good idea for the franchise is beyond me.

I don't know. All I can think is that they wanted to make a F2P game, and had the Legacy of Kain IP in the cupboard, so decided to slap that on it. It's always better from a marketing perspective to have a base to start with, right.

Archived