Videogame thread: Stick of Falling Titan Truth

Werthead

I'm vacillating between buying Dark Souls 2 and Final Fantasy X HD when they come out later this month. Which do you fellow board members recommend I buy?

If you could only get one, I would say Dark Souls 2. But i guess it also depends on weather you have already played FFX before anyway.

Finished up my PS3 "Noobtastic Six Years Late Mass Effect Playthrough Experience" yesterday on lunch and started my "Noobtastic Four Years Late Mass Effect 2 Playthrough Experience" last night.

Got through the intro on the station and then saved to call it a night. Glad I hadn't read any spoilers at all, because the opening caught me off guard. The only thing it was missing was some sort of cheesy James Bond opening title song sequence! :lol:

So here's something that hit me as I was watching the opening cut scenes though: How do you like your voice acting? Famous recognizable voices? Or vaguely familiar animation/video game vets?

The Illusive Man started talking and all I could picture was Martin Sheen in West Wing. It actually was quite distracting for me.

The button mashing events in South Park are really annoying. In the censored part, I literally can't press the key on my keyboard fast enough. I was stuck for 20 minutes before giving up. I've read other people online have w been stuck for more than an hour.

A lot of people are having that problem apparently, it's impossibly hard to do on a keyboard. Temporary fixes are to use a gamepad or use CheatEngine to lower the game speed during that segment. Hopefully Obsidian release a patch for it soon though.

So here's something that hit me as I was watching the opening cut scenes though: How do you like your voice acting? Famous recognizable voices? Or vaguely familiar animation/video game vets?

I generally prefer voices I don't recognize, or at least don't recognize from anywhere other than other voice work, so that I don't get distracted.

But with Mass Effect 2, I'm okay with it. I kinda like thinking that maybe TIM is actually President Bartlett, who somehow survived 200 years in the future; and that he brought along secret agent Sarah from Chuck to the future to work for him.

I generally prefer voices I don't recognize, or at least don't recognize from anywhere other than other voice work, so that I don't get distracted.

But with Mass Effect 2, I'm okay with it. I kinda like thinking that maybe TIM is actually President Bartlett, who somehow survived 200 years in the future; and that he brought along secret agent Sarah from Chuck to the future to work for him.

Well and Scott Evil flying my ship all over the galaxy...

A lot of people are having that problem apparently, it's impossibly hard to do on a keyboard. Temporary fixes are to use a gamepad or use CheatEngine to lower the game speed during that segment. Hopefully Obsidian release a patch for it soon though.

It's a shame, because otherwise in my opinion the sequence is horrifyingly disgusting, disturbing and offensive, and absolutely hilarious.

Well and Scott Evil flying my ship all over the galaxy...

I prefer to think that Oz fled Sunnydale once and for all, got a pilot's license, and went from there.

I don't have a problem with famous actors doing voice work, just as I don't have a problem watching famous actors play different roles in live action movies.

It probably helps that in the Mass Effect games, most of the characters with voices I recognise bear a certain resemblance to the actors in question.

Just defeated the Mongorians last night and got Mr. Kim as a Summons attack. I figure I'll work on getting all the other Summons (Mr. Hankey, Mr. Slave and Jesus) before progressing the main quest any further.

I got Mr. Kim, Mr Slave and Jesus. How do you get Mr. Hanky?

I believe he's in the sewer, but I'm not sure where the entrance is. Somewhere near the children's playground I think. I'll post it here when I find out for sure.

There's a sewer entrance on the main street but I don't know if he's down there

Not to speak for ericxihn (said before I speak for ericxihn), but it sounds like the complaint is more about the gameplay than the aesthetic ( feels vs. looks). My understanding from reading the reviews is that the gameplay is a bit shallow for an JRPG-style game (only one teammate, no restrictions on equipment based on class, etc.). It sounds like a "mechanics light" game.

It's definitely something you play for the story and not the challenging gameplay. That said it's still pretty fun, and I've encountered one hard boss so far. I'm sure if I'd gone back to him later he would have been easier.

The button mashing events in South Park are really annoying. In the censored part, I literally can't press the key on my keyboard fast enough. I was stuck for 20 minutes before giving up. I've read other people online have w been stuck for more than an hour.

I got that on the first try and then read about the problems people were having. I gotta thank Metal Gear Solid. I replayed that torture scene dozens of times perfecting my button mashing. For this I just sorta put my finger over the S key and vibrated my whole arm to tap it quickly.

If that doesn't work there's a program called JoytoKey. It allows you to use controllers for games that don't support them. (I'm sure South Park supports modern controllers, but all I have is a USB N64 one.) Anyway it has a feature where you can code a button to press a key rapidly automatically when held. That might help if you have a controller lying around.

There's a sewer entrance on the main street but I don't know if he's down there

He is. but you need to get passed the censored part with the button mashing above to be able to proceed past the first screen of the sewer.

It's definitely something you play for the story and not the challenging gameplay. That said it's still pretty fun, and I've encountered one hard boss so far. I'm sure if I'd gone back to him later he would have been easier.

Pretty much THIS. If you're a big turn-based RPG fan, you're likely to be a bit disappointed in the game play. It's not terribly deep. The joy here is in the story and the humorous asides. It's really a game for South Park fans at the end of the day. It's basically a playable episode of South Park within the confines of a turn-based RPG.

I was able to get passed that part on my second try, but I am still unable to poop in a toilet, lol.

I'm playing on Xbox though, so maybe that helps.

Archived