World of Ice and Fire App Update

Well, whoever gets the thing and looks through it, post any mistakes/inconsistencies/whatever you have with the thing, and I'll try to correct that in the German version. If things work as planned, those things may then also change in the next update of the English version.

I think I caught one. The entry for Sathar (Yalli Qamayi) describes it as sitting in the junction of the river Sarne and another river. However, the entries for both Saath and Sarys (Vaes Graddakh) puts them in the Sarne delta.

But those are mutually exclusive, the rivers that go by Sathar empties in the Bay of Tusks, nowhere near the other cities or the delta they sit in..

World of Ice and Fire book will lead to a further update containing notable characters mentioned therein, is the present plan. We did write up entries for lots of the prime actors in the Targaryen reign, though, so they're just waiting for a time to spring 'em.

I can say that there will be a German version available eventually, since I'm working on that one, but I can't give you a date.

Oh, and any chance whether the worldbook App update will quickly follow the publication of the thing? That would be great from a customer POV, of course, but not exactly from the POV of guy working on the whole thing, since that most likely means that I might to have to work on AWoIaF stuff first on this whole App thing (since I by now have no clue whether the worldbook will make it over here). Well, it'll be fun anyway.

I am going to ask Random House for a list of countries where it's available, and if they can provide any guidance where it may soon become available. I fear the UK territories where HarperCollins Voyager holds rights is one place that is not likely to see it any time soon.

I am going to ask Random House for a list of countries where it's available, and if they can provide any guidance where it may soon become available. I fear the UK territories where HarperCollins Voyager holds rights is one place that is not likely to see it any time soon.

Thanks. I'm sure there are many, many other Brazilian users eagerly posting "shut up and take my money" shot from Futurama on local forums right now.

Thanks. I'm sure there are many, many other Brazilian users eagerly posting "shut up and take my money" shot from Futurama on local forums right now.

For what it's worth, I'm in Peru and I downloaded the update without trouble.

Perhaps also usefull, a full list with the requirements a smartphone must meet in order for the app to work?

Ran,

Aenys is listed as being 35 when he died, meaning he was born in AL 7 as his death is listed as AL 42. The app also says Aegon went to war with Dorne 4 years into his reign. His reign is dated at AL 1 even though the conquest was not complete for about 2(?) years. This must be the case though, as Aenys' reign is listed as starting in AL 37 and Aegon's reign is listed as 37 years.

So something is off with the timeline on Aenys' birth and/or Rhaenys' death. It looks like Rhaenys dies around AL 4-5, but Aenys isn't born until AL 7.

The image in Aegon Targaryen's article shows up as a miniature at the character selection screen, but in the actual article there there is no full-sized version of it. Seems like a bug.

Nice to see Syrio's "Place of death" listed.

Also, I didn't know Rhaegar was actually born at Summerhall. I always thought it was just on the same day the tragedy took place (I know this was there since the older version, but it is a nice bit of information anyway).

And @Francisco Araujo da Costa, there are ways to download the app in other countries. I am a Brazilian resident myself and have done so (Android version).

Well, I could see multiple campaigns against Dorne happening during Aegon's reign. One shortly after the Conquest, and then another one some time later, leading to the deaths of Rhaenys and Meraxes. Rhaenys can indeed not die before she gave birth to Aenys, especially not since Aegon had apparently also some younger sisters with Rhaenys, placing her possible time of death somewhat further in the future.

Alysanne's mother being one Alyssa Velaryon make quite a lot of sense. We do know that Aenys' wife was not a Targaryen, and I remember that the main source for 'The Sons of the Dragon' reading did not remember the family name of Aenys' bride (making it somewhat unlikely that she was of House Stark, Arryn, or Baratheon). We now have our second Targaryen prince who took a Velaryon bride: Prince Aenys, Prince Daemon, and one unknown guy. Maekar or Daeron I (if he married before his father died) are interesting candidates. I'm right now also entertaining the idea that one of Princess Elaena's husbands may have been a son of Oakenfist, and Maekar's - and possibly also Daemon Blackfyre's - wife a Velaryon daughter by Elaena.

Aenys could have had remarried again later in life, and/or taken a polygamous second wife. We don't yet know when Alysanne was born, do we?

As to the dating: They still use AL, not AC? If the latter is going to be the canonic worldbook/TPatQ dating, I guess I'll try to switch to that one for the German version (AC becoming AE for 'Aegons Eroberung').

On the iron-and-ruby crown thing: I did not see that as a contradiction. Aegon's crown looks a lot like iron despite the fact that it's made of Valyrian steel. On the other hand, it is a mistake. Sigh, those expressions like 'iron-and-ruby' sound great in English, but in German you really have to get inventive to get the meaning across... It's not 'eine mit Rubinen besetzte Eisenkrone' but 'ein einfacher Reif der zu gleichen Teilen aus quadratischen Rubinen und Stücken aus valyrischem Stahl besteht'. I really hope that crown thing does not get mentioned all that often...

That Aenys married Alyssa Velaryon for poilitical reasons, as was stated during the reading of "The Sons of the Dragon", I suspect it could be because DAemon Velaryon died during the Conquest.

Marrying a Velaryon bride to Aenys (heir to the throne) could have been a consolation, to keep the Velaryon's on the Targaryen side.

Either that, or the Targaryens were seriously starting to consider abandoning the incest-thing. It must have been one of the real issues the Faith had with the Targaryen rule, and this could have been an attempt to downplay this whole thing: 'Look, my eldest son and heir does not marry his sister, and his line will continue our rule of Westeros.'

On the other hand, the fact that Maegor was married to Aenys' sister - most likely due to Visenya's insistence - did not exactly portray the Targaryens as a non-incest family.

And I'd not be surprised if the fact that Aenys gave Maegor power and office during his reign did not exactly sway the anti-incest sentiment among the Faith (Militant), eventually resulting in the Uprising. Although Maegor may have been successful in crushing the other rebellions Aenys faced at the begin of his reign (we don't yet know for sure when the Faith Militant Uprising began, but it seems this was a thing that started after Maegor ascended the Iron Throne).

Alyssa Velaryon could also have been Aenys' cousin. Aegon's mother was Velena Velaryon, and Lord Daemon could have easily been the (younger) brother of Velena, if he was not of the same age as Aegon, and the father of Alyssa.

But this birth date thing is really vexing. There must either be a mistake with Aenys' age at his death, or the assumption when Rhaenys died in Dorne. Ran also seemed to indicate some time ago that (some of) Aegon's children were born before the Conquest.

The new use of AC rather than AL did not really change any of the later dates, but it now means that two years Aegon's Conquest took are not part of years after Aegon's Conquest (AC). Aegon landed in 2 BC (before Conquest), and started to count his reign from the day the High Septon anointed him in the Starry Sept of Oldtown, after his Conquest was complete (not counting Dorne). The old AL reckoning would have added the 'two years of Conquest' to the 37 years of Aegon's reign, if I'm not mistaken (although GRRM stated long ago that Aegon himself counted his reign from the day he was anointed). That's now apparently not the case (and would only cause massive confusion if we had a detailed list of dates pre-Conquest, which we don't).

Yeah, that was what I've been trying to say. The years during which the Conquest happened are now part of the time pre-Conquest, but this did not have any bearing on the length of Aegon's reign, keeping the known timetable of the Targaryen reign intact. Although Aegon's reign may now technically two years longer, and he and his siblings two years older (although we would neither know nor realize that).

Archived