World of Ice and Fire App Update

The Lysa Tully entry states that Lysa was prone to visit Riverrun when she was pregnant. However, according to Catelyn I, A Storm of Swords:

Lysa had miscarried five times, twice in the Eyrie, thrice at King’s Landing... but never at Riverrun, where Lord Hoster would have been at hand to comfort her.

This sounds somewhat contradictory.

14 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The Lysa Tully entry states that Lysa was prone to visit Riverrun when she was pregnant. However, according to Catelyn I, A Storm of Swords:

Lysa had miscarried five times, twice in the Eyrie, thrice at King’s Landing... but never at Riverrun, where Lord Hoster would have been at hand to comfort her.

This sounds somewhat contradictory.

I guess this was supposed to mean 'the Eyrie' to explain why it was that Lysa actually had miscarriages there. The impression you get from reading the books is that both Jon and Lysa effectively spent most of their time at KL from the day Jon became Hand.

33 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I guess this was supposed to mean 'the Eyrie' to explain why it was that Lysa actually had miscarriages there. The impression you get from reading the books is that both Jon and Lysa effectively spent most of their time at KL from the day Jon became Hand.

I had taken the Catelyn quote to mean that Lysa had lived the first short period of her marriage at the Eyrie, until things were settled enough for her to move to KL with Jon. Why would she travel to the Eyrie when she is pregnant, a place where she knows no one, while her husband remains in KL as Hand of the King?

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2016 at 10:17 AM, Nittanian said:

These are some discrepancies from earlier in the thread which are in version 2.2.1 (iOS).

Additionally, the "Carellen Smallwood" entry says her mother is "Ravella Caron", but Lady Smallwood is from House Swann.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The entry for Alannys Harlaw states, "Following Balon Greyjoy's death, she retires to Ten Towers, her brother Rodrik's house."

Alannys is already living at Ten Towers before Balon attacks the north in ACOK.

"Will I find my sister and my lady mother at Pyke?"

"You will not. Your mother dwells on Harlaw, with her own sister. It is less raw there, and her cough troubles her. Your sister has taken Black Wind to Great Wyk, with messages from your lord father. She will return e'er long, you may be sure."

The entry for Shella Whent states "She surrenders the castle to Lord Tywin Lannister following the battle on the Green Fork and news of Ser Jaime's capture and the breaking of the siege at Riverrun." 

Shella yields Harrenhal before the Whispering Wood and the Green Fork. 

"Your brother has been covering himself with glory," his father said. "He smashed the Lords Vance and Piper at the Golden Tooth, and met the massed power of the Tullys under the walls of Riverrun. The lords of the Trident have been put to rout. Ser Edmure Tully was taken captive, with many of his knights and bannermen. Lord Blackwood led a few survivors back to Riverrun, where Jaime has them under siege. The rest fled to their own strongholds."

"Your father and I have been marching on each in turn," Ser Kevan said. "With Lord Blackwood gone, Raventree fell at once, and Lady Whent yielded Harrenhal for want of men to defend it. Ser Gregor burnt out the Pipers and the Brackens …" (AGOT Tyrion VII)

• 3 months later...

The entry for Randyll Tarly states "Lord Randyll remains at Bitterbridge when Renly rides to Storm's End to treat with Stannis". Randyll does accompany Renly to SE, however.

Renly looked to the others. "What say you all?"

"I say that Stannis is a danger to you," Lord Randyll Tarly declared. "Leave him unblooded and he will only grow stronger, while your own power is diminished by battle. The Lannisters will not be beaten in a day. By the time you are done with them, Lord Stannis may be as strong as you . . . or stronger."

Others chorused their agreement. The king looked pleased. "We shall fight, then." (ACOK Catelyn III)

• 6 months later...

On the Journeys map, Kevan Lannister's route with the ACOK filter has him travel from Harrenhal to Riverrun (Battle of the Fords) and then back east to Harrenhal and then south to King's Landing (Battle of the Blackwater). The route should instead have him travel south from Riverrun to the Blackwater Rush near Stoney Sept, then east to King's Landing.

"When you stopped Lord Tywin on the Red Fork," said the Blackfish, "you delayed him just long enough for riders out of Bitterbridge to reach him with word of what was happening to the east. Lord Tywin turned his host at once, joined up with Matthis Rowan and Randyll Tarly near the headwaters of the Blackwater, and made a forced march to Tumbler's Falls, where he found Mace Tyrell and two of his sons waiting with a huge host and a fleet of barges. They floated down the river, disembarked half a day's ride from the city, and took Stannis in the rear." (ASOS Catelyn II)

• 1 month later...

On the Journeys map, after Brienne was captured by the Brave Companions at Maidenpool, she traveled south almost to KL before back north to Harrenhal. The route should instead be directly to Harrenhal, as shown in Jaime's route and Brienne's route in LOIAF.

The entry for Torghen Flint says, "He comes to Castle Black to see Mance Rayder's execution and asks that the Watch give the Weeper to him if they catch him, as he had raided the Flint lands before, has raped three women of his family, and has blinded even more."

ADWD Jon X states Torghen and Brandon Norrey come to CB for the wedding of Alys and Sigorn, however.

Old Flint and The Norrey had been given places of high honor just below the dais. Both men had been too old to march with Stannis; they had sent their sons and grandsons in their stead. But they had been quick enough to descend on Castle Black for the wedding.

Is it mentioned elsewhere that Torghen wanted to see Mance die?

• 1 month later...

The Castle Black entry states "After the Nightfort is abandoned, Castle Black becomes the seat of the Lord Commander of the Watch and the Chief fortification of the Watch."

In ASOS Jon VII, Jon recalls Benjen telling him, "The Night's Watch is pledged to take no part in the quarrels of the realm. Yet over the centuries certain Lords Commander, more proud than wise, forgot their vows and near destroyed us all with their ambitions. Lord Commander Runcel Hightower tried to bequeathe the Watch to his bastard son. Lord Commander Rodrik Flint thought to make himself King-beyond-the-Wall. Tristan Mudd, Mad Marq Rankenfell, Robin Hill . . . did you know that six hundred years ago, the commanders at Snowgate and the Nightfort went to war against each other? And when the Lord Commander tried to stop them, they joined forces to murder him? The Stark in Winterfell had to take a hand . . . and both their heads. Which he did easily, because their strongholds were not defensible."

In ASOS Bran IV, Bran recalls Benjen stating, "We left the Nightfort two hundred years ago,"

So, my interpretation is that the Lord Commander had already left the Nightfort for Castle Black at least six hundred years ago, but the Watch kept the Nightfort operational until only two hundred years ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

The entry of Lord Ambrose Butterwell states he was born at Whitewalls, but:

Whitewalls was almost new as castles went, having been raised a mere forty years ago by the grandsire of its present lord.

and

The girl was fifteen and freshly flowered, her lord husband fifty and freshly widowed.

So the question arises if the place of birth has always been stated expressly by GRRM or was just assumed by the people writing the entries.

And Quentyn Ball's entry lists his place of death as the Crownlands. Does that mean the location of the Redgrassfield is clear now?

Archived