World of Ice and Fire App Update

It has in-app purchases. The initial app is free. I guess payment details are checked as a way to verify that if you try to purchase its infopacks, you'll be able to.

...and who says Victarion is a simpleton?!? Check out the poetic depth our great reaver possesses:

Near the end, before the smoking ketch was swallowed by the sea, the cries of the seven sweetlings changed to joyous song, it seemed to Victarion Greyjoy. A great wind came up

then, a wind that filled their sails and swept them north and east and north again, toward Meereen and its pyramids of many-colored bricks. On wings of song I fly to you, Daenerys, the

iron captain thought.

Sorry, irrelevant. But couldn't help it.

George, but hey - nice effort indeed. :D

I've seen a discussion arising on another thread where someone cited the app, and others insited the app is stating something else than the books did. Since none of those people has posted here, so in case it is indeed a mistake in the app, I thought I mentioned it here.

The app stated that Dany ordered all slavers killed in Astapor. The books state the following:

“Slay the Good Masters, slay the soldiers, slay every man who wears a tokar or holds a whip, but harm no child under twelve, and strike the chains off every slave you see.”

So the books seem to suggest that every person wearing a tokar, which is a sign that that person is a freeborn man of Astapor. Yet the app states that Dany "gives the command to kill anyone over the age of twelve who wears the tokar that marks out the slavers of the city", which suggests that only slavers were killed.

In the books, Dany never specifies about which tokar (marking slavers), and we know that not only slavers wear tokars, but all freeborn men in Astapor.

So, is the formulation of the events in Astapor wrong in the app, or is there an obvious explanation that I am not seeing?

While the tokar can be worn by all freeborn men, it's noted in ADwD that the impracticality of the garment means that it is only worn by the wealthy, not by laborers and the like, and the wealthy in Astapor all held slaves as a matter of course.

So Dany's meaning when ordering men wearing tokars to be killed was to get rid of the slave-holding class, who were the ones who'd be wearing the tokar.

I would guess that, just as in Rome (the tokar obviously being based on the toga), poorer citizens who actually labored for a living tended not to actually wear the tokar outside of formal occasions, festivals, and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

Question:

In a Storm of Swords, Sansa VII, chapter 80, Lysa tells Sansa the following:

“Did you come with Lord Bracken and Lord Blackwood, the time they visited to lay their feud before my father? Lord Bracken’s singer played for us, and Catelyn danced six dances with Petyr that night, six, I counted. When the lords began to argue my father took them up to his audience chamber, so there was no one to stop us drinking. Edmure got drunk, young as he was... and Petyr tried to kiss your mother, only she pushed him away. She laughed at him. He looked so wounded I thought my heart would burst, and afterward he drank until he passed out at the table. Uncle Brynden carried him up to bed before my father could find him like that.

and

You enticed him, just as your mother did that night in Riverrun, with her smiles and her dancing. You think I could forget? That was the night I stole up to his bed to give him comfort. I bled, but it was the sweetest hurt. He told me he loved me then, but he called me Cat, just before he fell back to sleep.

However, the app seems to state something different:

She grows to love her father's ward, Petyr Baelish , and on a night when Petyr had becomes drunk after learning that Brandon Stark is betrothed to Lysa's sister Catelyn , Lysa gives Petyr her maidenhead.

It is certain that the same night is being described. In both descriptions, Lysa loses her maidenhead. But in aSoS Lysa tells Sansa that LF and Cat had danced, and that it was her rejection that caused him to be so hurt that he got drunk, while the app states that he got drunk because he had learned about Catelyn's betrothal.

So is this a mistake? Or did Catelyn tell LF that she was betrothed as part of her refusing his advances? It's a bit confusing this way, I think.

The "Alysane Mormont" entry states "She leads her Bear Islanders in an attack against the ironmen on the Stony Shore, then joins her forces to King Stannis's." Shouldn't it mention the Bay of Ice instead of the Stony Shore? In ADWD Stannis writes,

And we had other help, unexpected but most welcome, from a daughter of Bear Island. Alysane Mormont, whose men name her the She-Bear, hid fighters inside a gaggle of fishing sloops and took the ironmen unawares where they lay off the strand. Greyjoy's longships are burned or taken, her crews slain or surrendered.

It makes sense that the Mormonts attack Asha's ships in the Bay of Ice near Deepwood; the Stony Shore is much farther away to the southwest.

Hi all, I don't appear to be able to unlock anything in the app. I'm in Australia. Is there a region blocker preventing me? It'll let me purchase the ebook; perhaps that's the only way to unlock stuff?

Can anyone clear that up for me? Thanks!

*** Disregard, I worked it out. Pressing "restore purchases" seemed to do the trick***

• 3 weeks later...

Though this question already was on this page, it has been a while since I asked, and I am still wondering if anyone has an answer, so I ask it again, hoping that someone can answer it this time around :)

Question:

In a Storm of Swords, Sansa VII, chapter 80, Lysa tells Sansa the following:

and

However, the app seems to state something different:

It is certain that the same night is being described. In both descriptions, Lysa loses her maidenhead. But in aSoS Lysa tells Sansa that LF and Cat had danced, and that it was her rejection that caused him to be so hurt that he got drunk, while the app states that he got drunk because he had learned about Catelyn's betrothal.

So is this a mistake? Or did Catelyn tell LF that she was betrothed as part of her refusing his advances? It's a bit confusing this way, I think.

In what countries is the app available at all? And are there plans to make it availble everywhere, or, for starters, at least here in Germany? ;)

We also want it for Android in Spain, too. Right now you can only get it here if you have an iPad.

If you buy it for an Android tablet, should you have to pay again (assuming you already paid for the iPad version) for the unlocking books material? I guess so, but it would be great if you guys were able to avoid it.

Archived