World of Ice and Fire App Update

Yeah, he put him right at the point where you could knock him out of two separate theories. Pretty neat.

Well, Aegon and Ashara's kid would have been about the same age anyway, no? I.e. about 18-19 in AFFC/ADwD. I am, under impression that Aegon wasn't yet born during the tourney of Harrenhal, but I may be wrong.

But yea, very nice to have confirmation that he is neither.

I guess, this was the fan theory that you were so happy to see officially debunked, Ran?

Maia,

on the nine children: Besides Aemon and Baelon there was most likely at least one other son, the Ape Prince Davos mentions in ADwD. He would leave no male heir, ending that Targaryen branch in the male line. I guess there may have been another son, who also had only (grand)daughters, explaining why there is no other male Targaryen cadet branch out there besides Viserys'.

I'd not be surprised if Baelon was married to one of his sisters, and when the succession issue came up among Jaehaerys' grandchildren, this may have been an issue. The purity of Targaryen blood was one of the points Lord Beesbury came up with after Viserys' death, and this may have also have come up when Maegor succeeded Aenys over Jaehaerys. Jaehaerys was Aenys' son by Alyssa Velaryon - and she most certainly had some Targaryen blood from previous Targaryen-Velaryon intermarriage - but Maegor was Aegon's son by his elder sister Visenya.

I'd be very surprised if it turned out that the Arryn queen did not descend from one of Jaehaerys' daughters, but I don't think that all the daughters of Jaehaerys married into great houses of Westeros. The Ape Prince's wife could have been one of them, and others may have been married to Dorne or the Free Cities. In the real world, royalty marries royalty, and technically no one in Westeros is royal from the Targaryen perspective. I real hope that the history of the house reflects this real world issue at least to a degree.

On the Brandon/Rickard thing: This would explain why Rickard did not/could not raise his banners. If he was already in the South with a relatively small party he may have risked getting caught by Targaryen loyalists before he returned back home. The picture of ambitious Lord Rickard Stark, which was painted in ADwD, would be severely at odds with Rickard simply traveling to KL with no show of force. But if this was the situation, he had no other choice.

Maia,

on the nine children: Besides Aemon and Baelon there was most likely at least one other son, the Ape Prince Davos mentions in ADwD. He would leave no male heir, ending that Targaryen branch in the male line. I guess there may have been another son, who also had only (grand)daughters, explaining why there is no other male Targaryen cadet branch out there besides Viserys'.

I'd not be surprised if Baelon was married to one of his sisters, and when the succession issue came up among Jaehaerys' grandchildren, this may have been an issue. The purity of Targaryen blood was one of the points Lord Beesbury came up with after Viserys' death, and this may have also have come up when Maegor succeeded Aenys over Jaehaerys. Jaehaerys was Aenys' son by Alyssa Velaryon - and she most certainly had some Targaryen blood from previous Targaryen-Velaryon intermarriage - but Maegor was Aegon's son by his elder sister Visenya.

I'd be very surprised if it turned out that the Arryn queen did not descend from one of Jaehaerys' daughters, but I don't think that all the daughters of Jaehaerys married into great houses of Westeros. The Ape Prince's wife could have been one of them, and others may have been married to Dorne or the Free Cities. In the real world, royalty marries royalty, and technically no one in Westeros is royal from the Targaryen perspective. I real hope that the history of the house reflects this real world issue at least to a degree.

On the Brandon/Rickard thing: This would explain why Rickard did not/could not raise his banners. If he was already in the South with a relatively small party he may have risked getting caught by Targaryen loyalists before he returned back home. The picture of ambitious Lord Rickard Stark, which was painted in ADwD, would be severely at odds with Rickard simply traveling to KL with no show of force. But if this was the situation, he had no other choice.

Agreed on the Rickard situation. In addition, Rickard would be in haste, since Brandon had been arrested for high treason.

On the daughters of Jaehaerys and Alysanne: if they had any (and with 9 children, I'm guessing there would be a few girls), they could have easily married one, or more, of their daughters to nobility Across the Narrow Sea. We see a Triarchy formed in the Princess and the Queen, which will fight against Rhaenyra. Perhaps there was already turmoil Across the Narrow Sea during Jaehaerys' times, and he married his daughters to nobility from the Free Cities (who might count as higher born than the Great Houses in Westeros, in the eyes of the Targaryes) to keep a peace effectively.

A rather tricky question:

Does anyone know whether the whore Robert Baratheon spent time with during the Battle of the Bells was identified as 'Bella' in the books. According to the App, she is afterwards known by that name because of the Battle of the Bells, and I really have to come up with a name to reflect that whole thing - that is, as long as she isn't already named in the books, and I've simply not made the connection back then.

'The Battle of the Bells' is obviously 'die Schlacht der Glocken' in German. But 'Glocka' is most obviously no good female name in German. So most likely will try something like 'Dingdong' or 'Klingeling' - if she has rather large breasts that could actually work.

Or is she one of the whores Arya later meets at Tansy's brothel. I seem to remember that one of them had once been a favorite of Robert's. Then I know where I've to look to find the already existing German name...

Wasn't it the daughter who was named Bella? The girl who wanted to ring Gendry's bells? I believe she tells Gendry that she was conceived during and named after the Battle.

A rather tricky question:

Does anyone know whether the whore Robert Baratheon spent time with during the Battle of the Bells was identified as 'Bella' in the books. According to the App, she is afterwards known by that name because of the Battle of the Bells, and I really have to come up with a name to reflect that whole thing - that is, as long as she isn't already named in the books, and I've simply not made the connection back then.

'The Battle of the Bells' is obviously 'die Schlacht der Glocken' in German. But 'Glocka' is most obviously no good female name in German. So most likely will try something like 'Dingdong' or 'Klingeling' - if she has rather large breasts that could actually work.

Or is she one of the whores Arya later meets at Tansy's brothel. I seem to remember that one of them had once been a favorite of Robert's. Then I know where I've to look to find the already existing German name...

The scene you need is definitely Tansy's Brothel. I will take a look for you if you want.

ETA: Rhaenys_Targaryen is correct. Bella is the bastard of Robert and her mother's name is never given

The girl did have hair like the old king’s, Arya thought; a great thick mop of it, as black as coal. That doesn’t mean anything, though. Gendry has the same kind of hair too. Lots of people have black hair.

"I’m named Bella,” the girl told Gendry. “For the battle. I bet I could ring your bell, too. You want to?”

So, what's the deal with the App on android in German-speaking countries? I have tried to download it on my SO's Galaxy Note 8.0 (Android 4.2.2) and was informed that it is not available in my country (Austria). Is that right?

It is avaialable on iOS, but I have reasons to stay with iOS 5.1.1 for as long as I am able, so I can't view it :( .

I don't know anything about the availability of the English-speaking App in German-speaking countries, but I'm working on the German version of the whole thing, which should be available some time after we have finished it. No idea about a release date, though.

No offence to you, Lord Varys, but I'd really prefer the App and Tyrion's sample chapter in English. I have browsed German translation of AGoT once, thinking about recommending it to somebody and the quality seemed pretty poor to me. Not to mention, all the name translations would be weird for me as somebody who reads the books in original. Do you know if it will be possible to chose English language in the App, once it is finished?

BTW, re: Bella, wouldn't it be a good idea to check what she is called in the ASoS translation?

Archived