World of Ice and Fire App Update

I'm still in doubt with the Undying thing. If they wanted to suck her life-force why did Pyat warned Dany about "always right and up" rule, he said whoever goes from the straight line will enter and never come back. So, why spend mana with prophecies and alternative futures?? I also agree that they were not interested in her dragons, since Pyat insested that she should enter alone.

Yeah, Mel has an accent, but I guess this could be explained by her spending decades outside of Westeros. Talk to a German permanently moving into an English speaking country and you get surprising accents a few decades later...

Do the Undying of Qarth really 'try to kill Daenerys with magic and take her dragon'? I never saw it like that. I interpreted the whole thing as attempt to suck Dany's life force and destiny to extent their existence another century or so - something like that. Drogon being in there was not their plan - he saves Dany and breaks the spell, which indicates to me that they were not really interested in him at all.

And by the way: Do you think I should include some prophecies of the Undying into the text? The English version only mentions the vision of Rhaegar, Elia, and Aegon.

Some time ago there was a crackpot theory around the forums that everything that happened until Dany stepped out of the Undying's palace was part of her drug-induced hallucinatory trip, and that the Undying were regular, normal old men and women in a normal room, but Dany freaked because of her altered perceptions and burned them all without provocation.

I'm still in doubt with the Undying thing. If they wanted to suck her life-force why did Pyat warned Dany about "always right and up" rule, he said whoever goes from the straight line will enter and never come back. So, why spend mana with prophecies and alternative futures?? I also agree that they were not interested in her dragons, since Pyat insested that she should enter alone.

I think that people were drugged so their visions would make them believe that they were having a mystical experience instead of walking the corridors of an old, dusty, semi-ruined palace. Dany was told to walk that way (following the wall to her right) so she wouldn't get lost despite her altered perceptions, because she was drugged (if she disobeyed she wouldn't have died, but would have gotten lost and somebody would have to seek and retrieve her; what he said about never coming back was just a bit of drama).

Walking alone would make the experience more intense (walking alone the corridors of a big, old, dark mansion would make you feel things even without drugs). The visions all came from Dany's head, and if they are prophetic is because of Dany's own potential as seer.

The Undying could be the blue zombies Dany saw or just regular old people as perceived through Dany's LSD googles. They could have tried to steal the dragons or to suck her lifeforce, or maybe something different, we don't know.

On the status of the English App version in Germany and other stuff:

1. German and English App versions will be two products, so you won't be able to switch between the two languages in one version of the App. But one should be able to buy both.

2. But there is no release date yet for both the German or the English version of the App on Android. But one should be able to buy the English version already in Germany in Apple stores.

I hope that's helpful.

The App includes a place called 'Froboz', which is supposed to be 'the capital' of the North. I never stumbled on that name before, could anyone elaborate on that thing? It's supposed to be close to the Kingsroad...

No, it doesn't. I just did a search for that. No results. Assuming you aren't trolling, how did you find this particular location in the app?

The only thing I can think of is that the RH coders had some example templates and made up random stuff that's generally hidden from view, but whatever file they sent or was extracted contains that stuff. In fact, I'm almost certain of this -- Froboz is the name of a character from the Zork trilogy.

Caerl,

I'm working on a translation of the App into German for Random House, I'm not trolling. I'm working on a file that has been extracted from the App files, and may contain glitches (I don't have the actual App right here). We work essentially on a very convoluted document, that contains both all the codes which marks links and stuff, and occasionally whole sections of the text are not in the right order, so it is tricky at times.

I didn't think you were actually trolling but I was confused about where you were seeing this. :)

Apparently the page for Qarth mentions that Euron got the dragonbinder horn from the warlocks when he took their ship. Is this a mistake or is the app telling us something that is not in the books. (as far as I can tell.)

Apparently the page for Qarth mentions that Euron got the dragonbinder horn from the warlocks when he took their ship. Is this a mistake or is the app telling us something that is not in the books. (as far as I can tell.)

More like it's a spoiler, rather than a mistake. Euron is full of shit, he never went to Valyria; the warlocks sought the horn in order ot get revenge against Dany, and Euron stumbled upon them by dumb luck.

More like it's a spoiler, rather than a mistake. Euron is full of shit, he never went to Valyria; the warlocks sought the horn in order ot get revenge against Dany, and Euron stumbled upon them by dumb luck.

I dunno I'm leaning the other way at the moment. Which is not to say that Euron isn't full of shit, he may well be lying. But if the warlocks had a dragonbinding horn wouldn't they have used it when Dany's dragons were in Qarth?

Edit: I should have read your post more carefully.

It isn't directly stated in the books but what Ser Lepus said is definitely implied/hinted at. I think the app makes a small leap there. Nothing too major, though.

you mind elaborating on where it's hinted at?

you mind elaborating on where it's hinted at?

Euron mentions capturing 4 warlocks in AFFC and that they told him a "curious tale." He didn't elaborate on what the tale was about but it isn't a stretch to assume that he found them around Valyria on their way from Qarth. In ADWD, Xaro tells Dany that the warlocks were on their way to Pentos with the hope of running into Dany there. I think at the time she had plans to head west but I don't recall off the top of my head. This news would have been from before Euron ran into them. It's clear from the info Xaro gives Dany and their run in with Euron that they intended to get back at Dany after what she did to the House of the Undying.

The assumption is Euron took the horn from them and simply took their plan as his own. He also started drinking shade of the evening, which he probably took from the warlocks' boat.

So, as said above, there's a small leap to reach the exact conclusions the app reaches. But I think they're reasonable based on what we know.

Archived