[Spoilers] True Detective VIII - Without Ginger There is No You

Relic

Woody Harrelson's acting was phenomenal in the last episode, what are you guys talking about? Sure, the tape scene it self might have felt a bit...I dunno, forced, but Woody did the best he could have done with the close up on his face, which I think was out of place.

Woody Harrelson's acting was phenomenal in the last episode, what are you guys talking about? Sure, the tape scene it self might have felt a bit...I dunno, forced, but Woody did the best he could have done with the close up on his face, which I think was out of place.

I thought so too. First episode where i felt him more than i felt M.M.

Indeed, I thought I was going crazy for a second for thinking he was brilliant in 7 lol.

Thread Title is great Relic :))

Both were really great. It was interesting to see how much both Rust and Marty have changed. Rust has become even more insulated; Marty has grown to be fairly competent and sociable in his abilities. This change of Marty's - from assuming he had power and simply being a cop was all it took to having to ask for favors and schmooze - is quite remarkable, and i thought WH did a great job with it.

I've been thinking about it, and I'm now pretty settled on the idea that Marty's comment: "that woman, those kids" is him talking specifically about Maggie and his children. The context of the statement is rife with regrets about 'inattention' and other personal disparagement - showing that he realizes on some level what a putz he was back then.

However, there could be a double meaning to the words if it does pan out that Maggie and Audrey had involvement in the cult. So even though he made that comment before he had kind of knowledge, the phrase still would ring true (in a circular way).

Marty has definitely grown in his time since we first see him, while Rust has...well...rusted.

Even though people have come up with some pretty solid theories about Maggie ( and the girls' ) possible involvement in the cult, I just don't buy it. Not that I have any counter-arguments to disprove your point, but I just feel like that's due to overanalysing all the little references and trivia Pizzolato has planted in every episode.

Marty has definitely grown in his time since we first see him, while Rust has...well...rusted.

I love that.

This Ginger obsession on here is stupid! :bang:

It started out as genuine, which was annoying, but now it's just silly fun. Roll with it, because if Rust is right about the universe than Ginger's name will be in the thread title again...and again....and again

Do we know the run time of the final episode? Dare we hope for 90 minutes?

IMDB says 60 minutes. Was hoping for longer too. This last episode really gave me a nostalgic-type feeling for both Marty and Rust. It was almost tragic to see what their lives have become. I'm really going to miss these two and this story after next Sunday.

Also, agree about Woody's performance in the last episode. I thought he was playing it a bit over the top at the beginning of the season but now I just feel like Marty's tantrums are a part of his natural character. I think it also helps that I haven't seen Woody act that way with another character.

NP said in one of the after the episode interviews that Maggie was the most morally advanced character in the series. Just because she is quiet in her hurt and anger, it doesn't mean that she is manipulative in general. She was dealing with an "adolescent" husband and she, throughout their years of marriage, had lost her connection with him. Still, she remained a mother and wife and tried to reason with someone who was unreasonable and wanted to have his cake...

NP said in one of the after the episode interviews that Maggie was the most morally advanced character in the series. Just because she is quiet in her hurt and anger, it doesn't mean that she is manipulative in general. She was dealing with an "adolescent" husband and she, throughout their years of marriage, had lost her connection with him. Still, she remained a mother and wife and tried to reason with someone who was unreasonable and wanted to have his cake...

Stop it

Maggie is the yellow king :)

Funny this is being discussed because I was imagining my own or anyone's reaction to a tape like that after seeing Marty's weird reaction because it was definitely a little forced. It reminded me of the scene in GOT when Jaime was telling Brienne about the mad king in the tub. A great acted scene until she awkwardly screams Kingslayer at the end when he slips.

Funny this is being discussed because I was imagining my own or anyone's reaction to a tape like that after seeing Marty's weird reaction because it was definitely a little forced. It reminded me of the scene in GOT when Jaime was telling Brienne about the mad king in the tub. A great acted scene until she awkwardly screams Kingslayer at the end when he slips.

Though I hate to admit it, I agree about the "Kingslayer!". It didn't ruin the scene but definitely seemed a bit akward. That said, I think Woody was phenomenal in that scene, he took the ball and ran with it in my opinion. It combined all of the character's frustration, horror and the realisation of how they didn't get the work done in '95 but instead the monsters are still on the loose. And given that in this episode he really seems to understand the error in his ways, tho he first seems to avoid Rust's theories, in that moment he realizes that he needs to see this through, perhaps as a redemption, when he sees the horror that's something way beyond the mistakes he's made.

I would like to extend a formal apology to this board and all of it's good members for not including Ginger in the last thread title.(Except for Maple of course... I think that he is too busy coming up with theories that his head might explode if we input anything else in there... I wouldn't want to throw him off track),

I have learned my lesson. From now on, I vow that every post that I make will have some kind of a Ginger reference... Like this...

You know we haven't seen Maggie's new husband at all yet. My bet that she is into some major beard loving now. It really is the only thing that makes sense. I'm calling the new Duo Ginggie,,,

Does anyone else feel like NP might be saying this just to deflect from the criticism that women are portrayed badly in the show? Rust has a keen sense of right and wrong that I have yet to see him violate - except for boinking Maggie. Which should count more against her since she instigated it hard and was married. He is self-destructive to an extent but hasn't hurt anyone else except Marty

As for Woody and the videotape scene, I think the problem was the writing. As a seasoned detective (who just recounted a story about finding a baby's remains in a microwave), the reaction was a little over the top. His shock and outrage led me to believe it was evidence of Audrey's abuse when I first saw the promo

Archived