[Spoilers] True Detective VIII - Without Ginger There is No You

Relic

I loved Rust's hallucinations, so I didn't find the portal at the end awkward, it was also a OMG nerd moment if you know some of the mythos. One of my favourite moments (which might be a bit strange) of the whole show is in Seeing Things when Rust looks to the sky and the birds become a spiral and the music in the background sounds strangely ethereal. I remember because it was the exact moment I realised this show was completely my cup of tea and I truly appreciated how beautiful it was and now they got everything right. The way it looks, the music, the acting, the story...I love it all. It was that exact moment I realised this wasn't your average detective show as well.

Funny how such a tiny trivial little moment in the show can mean so much because I remember all the feelings that came with it.

Ah, hell. It's over. Am soooooo sad. :(

I know, I've been thinking about this too. What is on that is good enough?

Okay, I'll probably be doing marathon re-watches - even though I've already watched each episode at least 2 or 3 times (6 or 7 times when it comes to episode 4).

The funniest part of the episode to me was Marty's facial expression when he drinks that smoothie thing at Rust's bed side.

Oooh, I found the song that accompanies the Spiral Bird hallucination. Damn the music in this show is fucking ACE.

I don't remember that facial expression - that's as good as any reason to rewatch tonight!

Yes, loving the music. I ended up buying The Handsome Family CD Singing Bones that has the opening credits song on it (Far From Any Road). I keep forgetting to listen to it! Something else to do tonight ....

I know, I've been thinking about this too. What is on that is good enough?

Okay, I'll probably be doing marathon re-watches - even though I've already watched each episode at least 2 or 3 times (6 or 7 times when it comes to episode 4).

I'd suggest Hannibal and The Americans. Both are every bit as good, if not better than True Detective. That's my opinion of course. I think they're both brilliant television.

I don't remember that facial expression - that's as good as any reason to rewatch tonight!

Yes, loving the music. I ended up buying The Handsome Family CD Singing Bones that has the opening credits song on it (Far From Any Road). I keep forgetting to listen to it! Something else to do tonight ....

I've been listening to that album a lot on Spotify :)

http://nypost.com/2014/03/11/we-all-look-like-suckers-again-as-true-detective-fizzles-out/

“True Detective” promised to avoid all that. The series limited itself to eight hours. It was written by one man, Nic Pizzolatto, who had never done TV before but had published a well-received novel. In interviews, Pizzolatto criticized those earlier shows and said he didn’t believe in hanging the audience out to dry.

All his clues pointed to a vast conspiracy involving a series of Christian schools, a meth lab, a well-connected Evangelical pastor and his US senator cousin and some kind of voodoo-Satanic ritual shrine whose high priest was a figure called “The Yellow King.”

But when the “True Detective” finale was all done, after the two cops had destroyed their own lives either hiding from the crimes or pursuing them obsessively, the mystery turned out to center on a guy with scars on a lawn mower living in a ruined mansion we only saw once at the tail end of the seventh episode.

No Yellow King. No explanation for the weird coughing fits and seemingly supernatural guidance being offered by crazed survivors of the conspiracy. No connections (except on a single piece of paper we barely saw) to all the powerful people covering up the Satanic cult. Just one sweaty psychopath.

No book editor of Pizzolatto’s would have published “True Detective” in novel form if he hadn’t tied up the loose ends. But HBO felt free to go ahead and spend millions on a promise made but not fulfilled. It could only do so because it knew we TV viewers had allowed ourselves to be played for fools before.

But why? Why? Why did they do it, why do they do it and why do we let them do it to us — again and again and again?

Archived