R+L = J v 73

Stubby

The point is that he had that power over the Lord Commander. Hightower is not going to guard Rhaegar's mistress. If you think otherwise, you are going to need to show in Hightower's profile he would. I believe that it was a combination of things that made Hightower oblige, Lyanna and Rhaegar were married, Lyanna was under threat from Aerys and the rebellion, and Rhaegar explained the need to keep the secret by having him stay behind.

You propose the LC of the kingsguard can refuse Rhaegar's command and do as he saw fit and that they were at the ToJ to protect the king.

LC. The kingsguard does not flee (In response to Ser Willem Darry fleeing with the Queen and Viserys)

AD. then or now (did not flee with Viserys and will not flee from ToJ)

We swore a vow, explained ser gerald

Is Ser Gerald explainining how the kingsguard works?

If so wouldn't it be the KG swears a vow?

Is he comparing the KG to Darry or Jamie who were either false or fled?

That would be KG or true KG swears a vow.

Ned knew of the kingsguard and their vows. Ned's complaint against Jamie was that he swore a vow to protect him and he killed him. He apparently was quite aware of the KIngsguard and their vows.

Being KG and swearing the KG vow hardly need explaination,

A vow they swore (not the KG vow) might explain their absence from the trident and Kingslanding and their continued defiance.

You propose the LC of the kingsguard can refuse Rhaegar's command and do as he saw fit and that they were at the ToJ to protect the king.

LC. The kingsguard does not flee (In response to Ser Willem Darry fleeing with the Queen and Viserys)

AD. then or now (did not flee with Viserys and will not flee from ToJ)

We swore a vow, explained ser gerald

Is Ser Gerald explainining how the kingsguard works?

If so wouldn't it be the KG swears a vow?

Is he comparing the KG to Darry or Jamie who were either false or fled?

That would be KG or true KG swears a vow.

Ned knew of the kingsguard and their vows. Ned's complaint against Jamie was that he swore a vow to protect him and he killed him. He apparently was quite aware of the KIngsguard and their vows.

Being KG and swearing the KG vow hardly need explaination,

A vow they swore (not the KG vow) might explain their absence from the trident and Kingslanding and their continued defiance.

There's a big difference between swearing a vow and obeying an order. "We swore a vow" means that they are acting on their own, and acting so in accordance to their vow. They are not saying they are obeying an order that would conflict that vow, and they are not saying that they are acting on another unknown random vow they have or have not sworn.

They are clearly and specifically speaking about their KG vow.

That would be a point fi there was only one KG who had to decide what to do. But they were three. They could easily split up to accomplish both - secure Ned's sister while one of them heads to Dragonstone asap. Curiously, they didn't do that.

I think there is an easy explanation for that. We know that if the King's guards are ordered to leave the king with no protection, they will obey. So there is no absolute need to go to Viserys. I also think the King's guards don't know who is the king at this point since there are some competing claimants within House Targaryen.

It makes sense for all three to stay together. 7 facing 3 is better odds than 7 facing 2, but one more knight on Dragonstone isn't going to make any difference while Robert has no fleet.

I think there is an easy explanation for that. We know that if the King's guards are ordered to leave the king with no protection, they will obey. So there is no absolute need to go to Viserys. I also think the King's guards don't know who is the king at this point since there are some competing claimants within House Targaryen.

It makes sense for all three to stay together. 7 facing 3 is better odds than 7 facing 2, but one more knight on Dragonstone isn't going to make any difference while Robert has no fleet.

Only if they are ordered to do so by the king. Every other arrangement would defeat their purpose. Unless the king has given his explicit approval, they cannot leave him alone and not break their oath in the process.

There's a big difference between swearing a vow and obeying an order. "We swore a vow" means that they are acting on their own, and acting so in accordance to their vow. They are not saying they are obeying an order that would conflict that vow, and they are not saying that they are acting on another unknown random vow they have or have not sworn.

They are clearly and specifically speaking about their KG vow.

I never mentioned an order.

I asked about the redundancy

They were kingsguard -check

kingsguard swears a vow-check

Ser Gerald explained, we swore a vow

Was the LC explaining that the KG swears a vow to guard the king, obey his orders, and protect his secrets?

If so he was explaining common knowledge.

We swore a vow is either explaining common knowledge if the vow was to the KG or if it was a different vow was explaining their absence from the Trident plus KL and their presence at the ToJ.

Archived