Last of Us Film Project - Screen Gems, Sam Raimi [Game Spoilers]

Stubby

So the movie was officially announced at Gamescom. Not really newsworthy...

But apparently, Maisie Williams (Arya) is in talks to play Ellie. Haven't even considered her as a possibility, but I like it (if true of course).

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/25/5937609/the-last-of-us-movie-announced

Thanks for these. I don't know if Masie would be any good, but I'm not really aware of any good, young actors apart from her and maybe one other.

Trying to picture what characters will get cut given them saying that the movie will be even more "laser focused" on Joel and Ellie than the game was. Robert, maybe Bill?

Hate to say it, but the whole Bill segment can be dumped without missing a beat in the story as a whole. It's a bit like the dumping of Tom Bombadil from the LOTR movies.

Robert is a conceit for getting Joel and Tess to bump into Marlene. I guess they can make up a different conceit, They could simply be on a smuggling run and come across an injured Marlene who promises weapons and ammo to get her to safety.

I hope they don't ditch David and his merry tribe of cannibals.

Hate to say it, but the whole Bill segment can be dumped without missing a beat in the story as a whole. It's a bit like the dumping of Tom Bombadil from the LOTR movies.

Robert is a conceit for getting Joel and Tess to bump into Marlene. I guess they can make up a different conceit, They could simply be on a smuggling run and come across an injured Marlene who promises weapons and ammo to get her to safety.

For me, the David part is what really elevated the story (imo he's the best character in the game). There is absolutely no way they'd leave him out.

It's great that Sam Raimi played and loved the story of the game and got passionate about making the movie. It bodes well for getting quality talent on all the important parts of the production.

Would be pretty shocked if they cut out that section. There's some significant character development there, and some of the best scenes in the game. Including Ellie's escape and fight with David, and Joel tracking down Ellie. I think the latter is the point where you really begin to see and understand just how far Joel will go to protect her (especially when he captures the two guys and forces them to reveal where Ellie is being held).

I hope (and somewhat expect) that you're right. I guess the fear would be that despite the character development, there's not really much plot development from those scenes. And a game takes far longer to tell it's story than a movie, so some trimming will have to happen.

But yeah, simply the sheer awesomeness of those scenes will hopefully be sufficient for it to make the cut (and it probably doesn't hurt that, according to what somebody mentioned above, Sam Raimi played and enjoyed the game and therefore got to experience those scenes himself).

I reckon Maisie would be a good choice for this role.

They do have to make a critical decision about the Joel casting though. If they don't work well together the whole thing will fail, says captain obvious.

They do have to make a critical decision about the Joel casting though. If they don't work well together the whole thing will fail, says captain obvious.

She definitely needs to improve her American accent though. Her American accent in the movie she's gonna be in soon (which looks pretty ordinary unfortunately) sounds like an English person faking an American accent. In terms of her raw acting ability and physicality she'd be fine, and quite an audience draw.

Especially because there will be endless comparisons between that and the Arya/Sandor team. Even more so if they somehow cast a wigged Rory McCann.

• 5 months later...

Excited?

Ambivalent?

Worried?

Cynical?

Something else?

I'm always cynical when it comes to video games being adapted as movies. On the plus side the writer of the game is writing the movie, so he's not going to shit all over his own creation. Then again I have been binge watching 'Episodes', so if there is a shred of truth to the premise of that show there are no guarantees.

On the minus side, every time it's been tried mediocrity is the best anyone has ever achieved. And regardless of the finer points this will be seen as a zombie flick, which is a little problematic for this to be THE video game adaptation that breaks the mold.

ETA: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/01/26/the-challenges-of-writing-uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end.aspx the link from whence the quote came (in the video at the end of the article).

It's going to be hard for me to get behind. The cinematic nature of the game makes me feel like I've already watched about a full season's worth of television covering this story, and the voice acting was so damned good it's going to be awfully hard to follow with full performances.

I mean let's be honest...I'll absolutely show up to watch Arya stab mushroom zombies (mushbies? Zombrooms?), I just worry that for fans of the game this will fall into the same trap as the Let the Right One In type remakes that came too soon after the original and never felt necessary.

I hope Maisie don't play Ellie. She's way too old for the part now, even though she's a great actress. Ellie is 14 years old, and that is very important for the story, in my opinion. If she's played by an adult it just won't feel the same.

Intrigued, but skeptical.

Like Brandon Stark said -- I feel like I've already watched a movie/seasons worth of this world, and it was absolutely amazing; probably the best video game experience I've ever had. I can't help but be skeptical that this movie will fall short of that.

I hope Maisie don't play Ellie. She's way too old for the part now, even though she's a great actress. Ellie is 14 years old, and that is very important for the story, in my opinion. If she's played by an adult it just won't feel the same.

Arya is supposed to be like 12/13 in the show right? And yet Maisie is playing her just fine. She looks younger than she is.

Arya is supposed to be like 12/13 in the show right? And yet Maisie is playing her just fine. She looks younger than she is.

I don't think she's playing 12 in the show. They have a completely different timeline in the show. Or who knows what they're trying to pull in that shit show nowadays anyway. Maise may look young but she is a far bit from 14.

I don't think she's playing 12 in the show. They have a completely different timeline in the show. Or who knows what they're trying to pull in that shit show nowadays anyway. Maise may look young but she is a far bit from 14.

Maisie is 17. Considering Ashley Johnson, who voiced Ellie, is 31, I don't think Maisie will look too old for the part. Personally I would've liked to see Chloe Moretz casted, but age isn't the issue here.

Also didn't we have a thread going for the movie already?

On the minus side, every time it's been tried mediocrity is the best anyone has ever achieved. And regardless of the finer points this will be seen as a zombie flick, which is a little problematic for this to be THE video game adaptation that breaks the mold.

You take that back! The first Mortal Kombat film was a masterpiece.

Archived