Last of Us Film Project - Screen Gems, Sam Raimi [Game Spoilers]

Stubby

Me too. I think the fact that it is 20 years later sets it a little apart from the modern trend in Zombies stuff. I suppose they could do it with a flashback or two as Joel and Ellie encounter different threats - forcing memories back to the forefront for Joel. One scene that needs to be in there early, IMO, is the (optional, in the game) conversation Joel has when he is with Tess before they attempt to cross the checkpoint at the start. Two hoods are leaning on a wall and one of the says something like 'hey old man", Joel says something nondescript back and the other hood, absolutely shitting himself, says something like "don't you know who that fucking is"? First time I heard that I thought, "My character is some sort of bad dude, here."

Wha? I totally missed the pick up moment for that conversation. Oh well just means I need to play the game again, damn.

Wha? I totally missed the pick up moment for that conversation. Oh well just means I need to play the game again, damn.

Heh. The two blokes are on the left, just as you turn left to towards the checkpoint.

Well this is really just getting into "she doesn't look exactly like the original character so we can't cast her." Slight differences in build aren't going to stop them casting a great actress in a part which we know she'll be great at. If there's any point against her playing Ellie it would be that it might be too similar a role to Arya, and she doesn't want to be typecast.

No, I don't think it's just me wanting her to look exactly like the character. It's basically still the same thing that I wrote in my first post in this thread, that I think Maisie won't pass for a 14 year old, even if she is short and looks young.

And my top pick for Joel would probably be Edward Norton, even though he probably wouldn't want to do a role like that at the moment. I feel like he's the one most fitting acting wise, or if Tom Cruise would have been a few inches taller and more gnarly, he could have played Joel.

No, I don't think it's just me wanting her to look exactly like the character. It's basically still the same thing that I wrote in my first post in this thread, that I think Maisie won't pass for a 14 year old, even if she is short and looks young.

And my top pick for Joel would probably be Edward Norton, even though he probably wouldn't want to do a role like that at the moment. I feel like he's the one most fitting acting wise, or if Tom Cruise would have been a few inches taller and more gnarly, he could have played Joel.

Hell no! Don't get me wrong, I think Tom Cruise is a very good actor and there aren't many movies I don't like him in, but I do not see him as Joel in the slightest. If you want to consider an uber A-list actor for the role then I would go with Matthew McConaughey or Brad Pitt over Tom Cruise any day. But I think all of those guys are out of reach for the production budget. Unless one of them happens to be a major fan of the game and is willing to forgo 80% of their normal fee in favour of a higher % of the gross just to see the movie get made and for them to be in it. Then again, all of them would be suitable for a cameo as Tommy.

If anyone plays Tommy, it should be Josh Holloway imo. There's an uncanny resemblance.

As for Joel, it should be someone big and grizzled. I liked the suggestion upthread of Brolin. Jackman or Gerard Butler would be good too. Norton would have to go on a Christian Bale-esque workout program to look the part, plus he doesn't exactly have that gruff voice.

Just because I needed something other than just "bump" to stop it falling too far down the page list. Here's an article where Maisie Williams says she's still keen on the roll of Ellie. But things are still in the early days of development.

http://www.psu.com/news/25720/Maisie-Williams-still-keen-on-The-Last-of-Us-role-film-is-in-very-early-stages

Despite what Druckmann says about working on UC4 during the day and TLOU the movie at night I get the feeling TLOU the movie won't really get going until Druckmann is finished with UC4.

Just because I needed something other than just "bump" to stop it falling too far down the page list. Here's an article where Maisie Williams says she's still keen on the roll of Ellie. But things are still in the early days of development.

http://www.psu.com/news/25720/Maisie-Williams-still-keen-on-The-Last-of-Us-role-film-is-in-very-early-stages

Despite what Druckmann says about working on UC4 during the day and TLOU the movie at night I get the feeling TLOU the movie won't really get going until Druckmann is finished with UC4.

Druckmann can only write the script. This movie will need to get a director to really get going and the director to be a driving force. Druckmann probably won't have much involvement in the movie when it gets started. I mean, there's no director, no actors cast yet so this movie probably is a while off as of now. The same goes for the Metal Gear Solid movie that Kojima and that producer said was gonna get made like 2 years ago. Still haven't heard a single thing abuot a MGS movie. So there seems to be a lot of talk but not much happening when it comes to big game titles being adapted for the screen, and then again maybe that's best becaus I don't really see the reason for them being adapted anyway. Video games is a visual medium and both MGS and Last of Us tells great stories in their gaming worlds, and longer stories too, than a movie can do, so I don't really see what they will add, except getting Hollywood studios some more cash

Druckmann can only write the script. This movie will need to get a director to really get going and the director to be a driving force. Druckmann probably won't have much involvement in the movie when it gets started. I mean, there's no director, no actors cast yet so this movie probably is a while off as of now. The same goes for the Metal Gear Solid movie that Kojima and that producer said was gonna get made like 2 years ago. Still haven't heard a single thing abuot a MGS movie. So there seems to be a lot of talk but not much happening when it comes to big game titles being adapted for the screen, and then again maybe that's best becaus I don't really see the reason for them being adapted anyway. Video games is a visual medium and both MGS and Last of Us tells great stories in their gaming worlds, and longer stories too, than a movie can do, so I don't really see what they will add, except getting Hollywood studios some more cash

Sam Raimi is already on board as producer, he could easily direct.

Reasons to adapt? Money, of course, but also bringing the story to a wider audience. ~ 10 million people have played TLOU a few million more have watched it as youtube cut scenes. That's not even close to a majority of gamers who have experienced this game in some form. A globally successful movie will reach 40 to 50 million people easily. Which is also pretty decent advertising for Playstation.

It seems people generally don't mind the idea of adapting movies and TV shows to video games, including in some cases a direct adaptation of the story from the movie / TV show. So why in principle is adaptation in one direction OK but adaptation in the other direction not?

Sam Raimi is already on board as producer, he could easily direct.

Reasons to adapt? Money, of course, but also bringing the story to a wider audience. ~ 10 million people have played TLOU a few million more have watched it as youtube cut scenes. That's not even close to a majority of gamers who have experienced this game in some form. A globally successful movie will reach 40 to 50 million people easily. Which is also pretty decent advertising for Playstation.

It seems people generally don't mind the idea of adapting movies and TV shows to video games, including in some cases a direct adaptation of the story from the movie / TV show. So why in principle is adaptation in one direction OK but adaptation in the other direction not?

I wouldn't mind Raimi directing, he's made some good movies, but the question is if he will though. Producing and directing are a lot different in terms of how much work you need to put in.

I do understand your point about getting more people to experience the story, but this was a game from the beginning. The thing is that it's already a movie if you just count the cinematic cutscenes. And then there's the gameplay parts and dialogue in the game parts, and all the walking and talking parts. I guess people have an issue with this because as an adaptation it won't add anything, it won't bring anything more then what's already in the game. Now there are things that movies can do better then games of course, and vice versa. But for games like for example Red Dead and Last of Us that are so cinematic and tell great stories with buildups and payoffs there's no reason to adapt them because the movies won't add anything to what's already there. And that leaves us with the project feeling like a big cash in for the studios.

I don't really want Maisie as Ellie either, although I'm almost certain it's going to happen. She's 17 now and they don't even have a completed script. Also, she doesn't look anything like Ellie. I'd rather they found a genuine 14-year old that can pull off a mix of innocence and street smarts.

The thing is Maisie is probably the cheapest way to get a star into the cast around whom some promotion can be based. It also means some appeal to the female audience in a way that an unknown playing Ellie would not. So unless there is someone who is 14-15 who is a popular actor and has the right look and vibe to play Ellie Maisie pretty much become over all the best choice despite the age issue. And even though she is developing in places that makes her look a bit older than 14 the right (loose) clothing and make-up can 14-ise her reasonably well.

A 12 year old Dakota Fanning would have been perfect in a cameo as Sarah.

A PS3? Why not get the PS4?

$200 cheaper? Though if you're in the USA, right now you get a year of PSN+ and TLOUR download voucher with PS4 at the standard PS4 price. So PS3 + buying TLOU is only ~$100 cheaper. But still $100 cheaper is nothing to scoff at. Then again 1 year of PSN+ means a decent number of free games you can play any time during the course of the year, which works out to be way more than $100 value.

Still if it's just so you can play TLOU then PS3 is probably the way to go.

$200 cheaper? Though if you're in the USA, right now you get a year of PSN+ and TLOUR download voucher with PS4 at the standard PS4 price. So PS3 + buying TLOU is only ~$100 cheaper. But still $100 cheaper is nothing to scoff at. Then again 1 year of PSN+ means a decent number of free games you can play any time during the course of the year, which works out to be way more than $100 value.

Still if it's just so you can play TLOU then PS3 is probably the way to go.

Hm, didn't know about all that, sadly i'm in Canada. I'll check out some deals before going for the PS3.

Hm, didn't know about all that, sadly i'm in Canada. I'll check out some deals before going for the PS3.

Sony is trying to fend off Xb one's lower price tag in the USA, so you might not get the same deals in Canada. I don't suppose you can hop across the border and pick one up.

TBH considering all the fantastic games you can get for cheap on PS3, esp the Uncharted series, but plenty of others as well, PS3 is a very good call, given you already have the current gen multiplat offerings well covered with Xb one. I personally never think it's worth buying more than one console per generation because there are so many games worth playing on just one console that by the time a generation finishes I've probably only played about half the games I want to play on just that one console.

Archived