HBO Releases First Four Episode Titles

Westeros

I was watching the weapons promo vid and it sounds like they're going to have the attack on Castle Black and the battle at the wall happen simultaneously. Did anyone else catch that? In book isn't there a little bit of a break between the two fights?

This has been common knowledge for months and months now. Not sure which cave you've been hiding in (don't mean to berate you, just pointing out that this is old news). Yes, both battles are being merged and thrown into episode 9 together.

This has been common knowledge for months and months now. Not sure which cave you've been hiding in (don't mean to berate you, just pointing out that this is old news). Yes, both battles are being merged and thrown into episode 9 together.

Sorry Ygritte wouldn't let me leave. I just recently got out.

New Stannis S4 picture. It looks like he is present at the burnings of non-believers and so bloody pissed about it.

http://imgbox.com/scJ2m6p8

Stannis in his armour with lightbringer!!

I've been thinking. People say D & D really don't like Stannis and are going out of their way to make him look bad but then how come they are having him visit Bravoos and the Iron Bank.

Him and Davos are going to sailing up to Bravoos, see the Titan, see all the palaces/temples and meet with one of the most powerful organisations in the world to talk about a loan for buying sellswords so he can claim the Iron Throne. That could be one of the stand out moments mid season. Especially when you see the enormous pan shot of Bravoos. That was supposed to be one of Arya's biggest moments but instead they are giving it to Stannis and Davos. Follow that up with "Stannis, Stannis, Stannis!" and you've made up for any of the negative portrayal Stannis got in Season 3.

Am I the only one annoyed at Tyrion holding Sansa's hand in what looks like an attempt to comfort her.

Edit: No wolf's head pommel on Jon's sword unless its a training sword. Jaimie's sword looks amazing though!!

Stannis in his armour with lightbringer!!

I've been thinking. People say D & D really don't like Stannis and are going out of their way to make him look bad but then how come they are having him visit Bravoos and the Iron Bank.

Him and Davos are going to sailing up to Bravoos, see the Titan, see all the palaces/temples and meet with one of the most powerful organisations in the world to talk about a loan for buying sellswords so he can claim the Iron Throne. That could be one of the stand out moments mid season. Especially when you see the enormous pan shot of Bravoos. That was supposed to be one of Arya's biggest moments but instead they are giving it to Stannis and Davos. Follow that up with "Stannis, Stannis, Stannis!" and you've made up for any of the negative portrayal Stannis got in Season 3.

Yes if they get him right this season, i'll let go of the past season's horrendous portrayal.

Looks like someone burnt Stannis's toast.

Heard it was Mance Rayder. :devil:

Yes if they get him right this season, i'll let go of the past season's horrendous portrayal.

Heard it was Mance Rayder. :devil:

They won't. Remember that guy he burns in the books because he betrayed him? Well, in the series

he'll burn people because they don't convert to the Lord of Light (book Stannis is pretty much an atheist/agnostic/doesn't give a damn)

They won't. Remember that guy he burns in the books because he betrayed him? Well, in the series

he'll burn people because they don't convert to the Lord of Light (book Stannis is pretty much an atheist/agnostic/doesn't give a damn)

Yeah i know that, i was the one who asked the critic about the specifics of Stannis' storyline. A man can hope that D&D don't screw up Stannis again. This is HIS season.

The image i linked above looks like it is from that scene. He surely looks pissed.

^Which is the best we'll hear from Stan on that scene, so let's not prompt him further. ;) I personally think that season 5 will be the year of Stannis (as ADWD was the book he was best in) but yes, he'll likely have some solid moments this year too.

I didn't have any trouble feeling empathy for Stannis in previous seasons so I never thought their portrayal of Stannis war horrendous but I guess people wanted the showrunners to unconditionally support Stannis, which they didn't, which then meant that it wasn't good enough. I never really thought he was that independent-minded from Melisandre even in ADWD because if he was she wouldn't have as much authority as she's being given at the Wall.

I didn't have any trouble feeling empathy for Stannis in previous seasons so I never thought their portrayal of Stannis war horrendous but I guess people wanted the showrunners to unconditionally support Stannis, which they didn't, which then meant that it wasn't good enough. I never really thought he was that independent-minded from Melisandre even in ADWD because if he was she wouldn't have as much authority as she's being given at the Wall.

Book Melissandre describes Stannis like someone who's using her, not someone who's ready to do her bidding. And while season 3 was his lowest points and stuff like "make me another son" are, IMO, in character, being pretty much commanded to go to the Wall and pardon Davos by Melissandre is not.

What? Stannis not independent minded from Melisandre? Now i've seen it all.

Because they need him to do something in the period between Joffrey's death and the arrival at the Wall. I hardly think that they intend on this season being the one where they get back in line with the books (or swing the opposite to make up for S3) given they kick it off with Stannis murdering a couple of guys for not worshiping Melisandre's god.

At the same time, though that ambiguous relationship (is he using her or is she controlling him) is what I took away from the books and while the show has so far tipped in one direction on this debate, I feel that it was open-ended enough in the books to leave it ambiguous, which then created a nice debate. Again, to me Stannis is the guy who never smiles and who contemplates the slights he received and who thinks he's the rightful king by law and all those things were still there in the show so that's why it was never a big deal for me. Plus, it's hard to say he's honorable when he has his brother killed. As kinslayer one'd expect he'd be shunned and left by everyone. Davos knows atleast knows about the kinslaying, as does Melisandre and there is crucially no distinction between ordering the death of someone, or killing them yourself. All that "Stannis is an absolutely honorable guy" flies right out the window at that point so I can understand why the tv show made him a dick at points because that's what he objectively is. In the book he's just a dick with more agency.

At the same time, though that ambiguous relationship (is he using her or is she controlling him) is what I took away from the books and while the show has so far tipped in one direction on this debate, I feel that it was open-ended enough in the books to leave it ambiguous, which then created a nice debate. Again, to me Stannis is the guy who never smiles and who contemplates the slights he received and who thinks he's the rightful king by law and all those things were still there in the show so that's why it was never a big deal for me. Plus, it's hard to say he's honorable when he has his brother killed. As kinslayer one'd expect he'd be shunned and left by everyone. Davos knows atleast knows about the kinslaying, as does Melisandre and there is crucially no distinction between ordering the death of someone, or killing them yourself. All that "Stannis is an absolutely honorable guy" flies right out the window at that point so I can understand why the tv show made him a dick at points because that's what he objectively is. In the book he's just a dick with more agency.

Stannis is not initially likeable and he's not honourable. He's unyielding, cruel and just.

I'm not buying the whole duty thing, though. Otherwise, he'd have to at least consider abandoning his claim and sail to help his rightful Queen, Daennerys of House Targaryen

Well you yourself remarked that he didn't look happy about it. Gran de Lys said he seemed very conflicted about the ordeal and that Dillane's performance was great, so that's good enough for me. I know book Stannis wouldn't let Mel and Selyse pull shit like that (because it sounds like its definitely more their doing than his) but to my mind, if it makes for a good scene, then fuck it.

I love that picture you linked, bw Stan. No man can grimace and scowl like Stephen "Stannis-in-hiding" Dillane.

Archived