HBO Releases First Four Episode Titles

Westeros

I just won't be shocked if they don't introduce that character. You don't have to have LS to advance the story.

Er, yeah, you do. She's absolutely central to Jaime and Brienne's stories going forward, and quite possibly to much more that we don't know about.

Jaime and Brienne have zip to do with the Brotherhood, so there's zero resonance (nor any particular reason why they would become such zealous persecutors of Brienne and Jaime, who they don't even know). Stoneheart is the heart, so to speak, of that storyline.

The Brotherhood was disgusted by the Freys after the Red Wedding regardless of LS leading them. By extension they curse the Lannisters as well for their part in influencing the Freys to commit murder against people under their protection. They basically search for Arya while killing Freys after the RW. Brienne goes out to search for Sansa. As the war is reaching its conclusion the BWB are still attacking Freys and Western armies. Jamie will be sent out to deal with them, so you can still have that clash between the characters. We don't know for sure that they won't change the story or create a new character. D&D have said as the show continues we're likely to see more changes between the book storyline and the show storyline. I'm just speculating on one possibility.

The whole crux of Jaime and Brienne's story is their oaths to Catelyn, trying to keep those oathes, and they have (in Brienne's case) or soon will (in Jaime's case) be confronted with the twisted reincarnation of her. That's not some minor detail, and I can't imagine a reason why they'd change it. Any change would vastly deescalate the stakes, which is the opposite of what a dramatist would want to do.

If the season ends with the reveal that Catelyn Stark is back and getting hardcore revenge for the Red Wedding, it's more likely that TV viewers will love it. Everyone wants to see the Starks win, and everyone wants to see revenge for the RW. It's a shocking and dramatic reveal, it's cathartic (which is certainly well-earned in a series as bleak as this), and it leaves people to ponder what she'll do next. It does everything a good finale closer should do, and as has already been mentioned, including Lady Stoneheart in particular is essential to Jaime and Brienne's stories.

Leaving her out would accomplish nothing (from any perspective), and only serve to create more problems down the line that they'd have to deal with, none of which would be necessary.

Queen of Whores, first of all that's a GrrM-written episode (though I theorized above that perhaps that scene was shifted in pre or post production from ep. 1). Everyone who heard Stan's line in the trailer thought it was awesome, even though he looked to be talking angrily to Davos and hence, angry at him. Davos will be suggesting some sort of compromise (or half measure) and Stan will be showing his unyielding ways. Nothing to worry about QoW. Stan is a bitter guy. It is not out of sorts or out of character for him to get a wee bit irked from time to time.

Yeah I have a feeling, that it's going to be a good Stannis scene. Fingers crossed, that it's the "cart before the horse" scene.

I think we're definitely getting LS this season, which makes me Wonder what Brienne's going to do in s5.

In other news, don't know if it has been posted yet but it looks like the Sept scene is on :

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/lena-headey-game-of-thrones-300-rise-of-an-empire-interview.html?mid=twitter_vulture

^I really hope they go that route but then, why was there no glimpse of either of them in the shots of everyone gathered in the Sept of Baelor? They would be standing somewhere visible, wouldn't they, and they're not. I could spot Mace, Olenna, Loras, Varys, Pycelle, Oberyn, Sansa, Cersei, Tywin, Tommen and Jaime, but no Lord and Lady Bolton.

We could spot Mace, Cersei, Jaime, and Tywin in the Red Viper vs. Mountain scene in the trailers but not Tyrion or Ellaria. That doesn't mean they don't appear in that episode... calm your boobs.

^Well, I never expected Tyrion and Ellaria to be in the Royal balcony area. Anyways we already knew from set pics (that came out the week of Christmas on wicnet but were shot in September) that Ellaria and Tyrion were watching from the sidelines rather than a ledge.

I'm not entirely ruling out the possibility that Roose goes to King's Landing and I do think it would make for great scenes, but the fact is though that if he were present in the Sept of Baelor he would be standing with the important people not obscured. He is Warden of the North now and McElhatton is now a main cast member so they would have staged the scene so as to make him visible. If he's there and I missed him I'll be glad but there has yet to be any evidence of that.

As for my boobs. Good call. They're not very calm.

Anyway,

Two Swords): The guest is Oberyn Martell. Jon Snow finds himself unwelcome amongst Alliser Thorne and Janos Slynt. Dany sees the crucified slave children pointing her to Meereen. And Arya reclaims Needle, a 'friend' (with a name.).

The Lion and the Rose): Tyrion gives Jaime a golden hand which Qyburn helps put on. Joffrey and Margaery's wedding feast. Not sure about Stannis and Davos... Ramsay uses his dogs and Reek to help him hunt Myranda. Bran finds a weirwood tree as seen in the trailer.

Breaker of Chains): Tyrion can't 'talk his way out of this one.' Tywin puts Oberyn on the small council. Jon proposes a scouting party to help him deal with the mutineers (they might tell Mance everything he needs to know about the Wall's defenses -- and for justice.). Hound teaches Arya how to cope with death, that or... the gift of mercy. Dany chooses Daario to fight.

Oathkeeper): Dany orders the slavers to be crucified. Jaime gives Brienne her armor and new sword, tasking her with finding Sansa. Jon secures volunteers to attack Craster's Keep. Bran and co. are held captive by Rast at Craster's Keep as rumored months ago.

A dark thought: Hot Pie is killed by the Mountain men. The friend Arya meets is Hot Pie's dead body. It builds up for the fight at the inn later on the season.

I'm still having issues with the logic of an attack on Craster's Keep. The Night Watch has raiders coming from the south, a huge (if undisciplined) army closing in from the North. Going North to Craster's Keep means reducing the garrison if the attacks happen before the rangers can return and it can mean those venturing North can run up against Mance's vastly superior numbers out in the open. Unless there is something very urgent they need from Craster's, it makes sense to put all men to hold Castle Black.

Then again, after how they've butchered Robb's military genius with the Season 3 campaign, I have no faith in D&D as armchair generals.

Maybe the idea is that the Wall is so undermanned that if they don't rescue recruits from Craster's the wildling's will overwhelm them anyway. So they're forced to make the trip to Craster's and take a huge gamble.

Maybe the idea is that the Wall is so undermanned that if they don't rescue recruits from Craster's the wildling's will overwhelm them anyway. So they're forced to make the trip to Craster's and take a huge gamble.

Why would they rescue deserters? Deserters who killed their Lord Commander? They're going to kill the mutineers and possibly rescue Craster's wives. Grenn is with them in the trailer as well, so it's not like some of the loyal brothers don't return to the Wall. They might be going to Craster's to save the wives, 'protect the realms of men,' seek justice for Mormont's death which has put the Watch in disarray, and lessen any chance that Mance might capture some brothers to interrogate them.

My bet is the opening scene of "Two Swords" is Ice being melted down. This season sounds very promising with very little filler. They are going very fast through some characters stories but this is a TV show and not a book. You can't spend 5 episodes walking somewhere.

"Stannis loses patience with Davos"? Are you fucking kidding me D&D? STILL?! Why must they still insist on blackwashing Stannis' character? Where is the Stannis/Davos bromance from the books? I knew it was too much to hope for a good portrayal of Stannis in season 4 :(

Do you really think Davos didn't speak his mind when Florent was being burned at Dragonstone. I'm 100% sure he would have tried to make Stannis spare him and this will tie in perfectly with the "history book" line from the trailer. Hopefully George wrote all the dialogue for this scene since I always wanted a POV of what happens after the paper shield and prior to setting sail.

If we get a proper exchange with Davos saying "You have the cart before the horse" and getting full credit for the idea of going to the wall then I will forgive the season two butchering of his character.

Why would they rescue deserters? Deserters who killed their Lord Commander? They're going to kill the mutineers and possibly rescue Craster's wives. Grenn is with them in the trailer as well, so it's not like some of the loyal brothers don't return to the Wall. They might be going to Craster's to save the wives, 'protect the realms of men,' seek justice for Mormont's death which has put the Watch in disarray, and lessen any chance that Mance might capture some brothers to interrogate them.

Grenn and Ed haven't gotten back to Castle Black yet and their fate in S3E4 was left dubious. My theory is that Grenn, Ed and some other loyal brothers are being held captive and will be rescued by Jon. Grenn fighting with them in the trailer seems irrelevant to me. He could have been freed prior to that shot.

Archived