Cyvasse with Aegon: A Game of Foreshadowing (Long)

I honestly would feel pretty bad for JonCon if he's been lied to all this time by Varys and Illyrio, raising a kid he thought was his "friends". He's an extremely loyal man, and likable, despite his hard personality.

I think that is indeed part of the tragedy of this particular storyline: that Jon Connington views himself as a player, and is in all likelihood merely a pawn in the grand scheme. And then, by default, Aegon himself is caught in the tragedy - aspiring to become the player he believes Griff himself to be... not knowing how manipulated his own foster father and hero has been all along.

Obviously we don't know where GRRM will take this - but I think there's opportunity for Aegon to play some redemptive role before all is said and done. Part of the theme in these books seems to be the way stereotypical heroes fall short (or simply don't exist)... but the other side of that coin would be that the ordinary person doesn't have to be of "heroic blood" to make a meaningful contribution to outcomes. I could see Martin creating a powerful moment for Aegon, should the youth somehow discover the true story behind his manipulation yet rise above it to impact the story in some decisive and self-sacrificial way.

• 1 month later...

I think there is a fair bit of foreshadowing/mirroring going on between the Cyvasse game and the Game of Thrones. I interpret it slightly differently then the OP. I think there is definitely a parallel being drawn between Tyrion convincing Aegon not to use his dragon early on and Aegon not seeking Dany's help. He calls the dragon on the Cyvasse board "she" after all. I also think that the lack of dragons will be Aegon's undoing. In the real Game of Thrones Aegon has taken a similar young man's aggressive strategy: he lands in Westeros with no dragons and then charges to take Storm's End without waiting for his scattered forces to re-assemble. We know that in the game of Cyvasse this leads to his downfall because when Tyrion surrounds his King, the the Dragon is too far away to help. The OP misinterprets, I think, the phrase "death in four" however. It doesn't refer to the game only lasting four turns but rather the fact that Aegon will lose no matter what four turns from now. Chess players do the same thing when they have an inevitable checkmate set up, saying "mate in four" or whatever.

In the Arianne TWOW preview chapter, the word that Arianne will use to instigate a Dornish attack is "Dragon." Is is it possible that Aegon will ask for Dornish help too late? That he will try to use the Dornish forces but they will be too far away to help

I think that is indeed part of the tragedy of this particular storyline: that Jon Connington views himself as a player, and is in all likelihood merely a pawn in the grand scheme. And then, by default, Aegon himself is caught in the tragedy - aspiring to become the player he believes Griff himself to be... not knowing how manipulated his own foster father and hero has been all along.

He doesn't see himself as a player, he pretty much says it himself, that he's tired of Varys owning his balls (heh) and he had to agree and obey for the sake of Aegon, that's why he's so bitter against Varys. Everything they had achieve so far is due to Varys, and all of them are tired to go left and then right when Varys and Illyrio so require it.

Aegon is a sexist. In addition to all his delusions about Dany as an obedient bride, he disregards Cersei, "who rules Kings Landing? A woman". His scorn may be well deserved, but he doesn't say 'a crazy woman' or 'a paranoid woman'. 'A woman' is enough for him to convince himself and others that the IT easily taken.

• 5 months later...

Trying to read between the lines here. Is it supposed to be mean that Tyrion has convinced Aegon to make a move on Westeros on his own even though Tyrion actually believes that Aegon can't succeed without Dany's dragons? I can see that but Tyrion hasn't even met Dany at this point, why would he convince Aegon to pursue her when he has no dog in this fight? In the book he doesn't really seem to care at this point one way or another. Maybe he see's Aegon as evil and wants to prevent him from collecting more power with Dany? That's the only thing I can think of if he wasn't actually trying to give Aegon legit good advice. Cause Aegon isn't taking Westeros with just 10,000 men. Golden Company or not.

He doesn't see himself as a player, he pretty much says it himself, that he's tired of Varys owning his balls (heh) and he had to agree and obey for the sake of Aegon, that's why he's so bitter against Varys. Everything they had achieve so far is due to Varys, and all of them are tired to go left and then right when Varys and Illyrio so require it.

Yeah, I think JonCon knows his place in this whole scheme. He'd probably rather be rid of Vary's and Illyrio but, for now, he'll follow them. He's done all this not for them, but for Rhaegar and if he can get who he believes Rhaegar's son to be on the Iron Throne then I think that makes it all worth it for him in the end. Especially since he's dying anyway.

I think there is a fair bit of foreshadowing/mirroring going on between the Cyvasse game and the Game of Thrones. I interpret it slightly differently then the OP. I think there is definitely a parallel being drawn between Tyrion convincing Aegon not to use his dragon early on and Aegon not seeking Dany's help. He calls the dragon on the Cyvasse board "she" after all. I also think that the lack of dragons will be Aegon's undoing.

:agree:

Obviously we don't know where GRRM will take this - but I think there's opportunity for Aegon to play some redemptive role before all is said and done. Part of the theme in these books seems to be the way stereotypical heroes fall short (or simply don't exist)... but the other side of that coin would be that the ordinary person doesn't have to be of "heroic blood" to make a meaningful contribution to outcomes. I could see Martin creating a powerful moment for Aegon, should the youth somehow discover the true story behind his manipulation yet rise above it to impact the story in some decisive and self-sacrificial way.

This is the course I mostly see the books going in. JonCon and Aegon are largely Varys' pawns and will likely die for it in the end, though not before they maybe try to do some good from it .

I do wonder however, if we might ever even see the truth revealed. It is likely that they might die without the question of Aegon's legitimacy being fully answered.

The observation most people miss is that the same thing rarely happens in Westeros. I doubt we will see Aegon killed like the previous blackfryes I have a feeling that tyrion will "rejoin" aegon and probably backstab him when the opportunity presents itself.

While it's not exactly the same, there apparently has been a Blackfyre backstabbing (sort of) before, at least according to the World book.

Minor nitpicks: concerning the color of Tyrion's dragon in the cyvasse game.

1 )Since Tyrion, not Aegon has the black dragon piece in the game I fail to see that the black dragon is a piece of evidence for Aegon being a Blackfyre. If Aegon had the black dragon piece - then maybe. But he specifically hasn't.

That doesn't mean Aegon cannot be a Blackfyre. He might still be one. But the colors of the dragons on the board - with Aegon having the white, not the black - aren't any additional hint in that direction imo.

2) Observe that the decisive move of the game is Tyrion 'flying his black dragon over a range of mountains.'

There is but one black dragon in ASOIAF and we all know who rides it. This move is strong foreshadowing of Dany & Drogon having a decisive role in the endgame imo.

That it's Tyrion who makes this move also hints at him ending up on team Dany imo.

Couldn't resist adding my 2 cents! Congratulations to an interesting OP! :)

This is the course I mostly see the books going in. JonCon and Aegon are largely Varys' pawns and will likely die for it in the end, though not before they maybe try to do some good from it .

I do wonder however, if we might ever even see the truth revealed. It is likely that they might die without the question of Aegon's legitimacy being fully answered.

While it's not exactly the same, there apparently has been a Blackfyre backstabbing (sort of) before, at least according to the World book.

Also, no blackfryes will have been killed by a dragon yet. Here is a good question- maybe the battle will take place by mountains which means dorne or vale regions

Minor nitpicks: concerning the color of Tyrion's dragon in the cyvasse game.

1 )Since Tyrion, not Aegon has the black dragon piece in the game I fail to see that the black dragon is a piece of evidence for Aegon being a Blackfyre. If Aegon had the black dragon piece - then maybe. But he specifically hasn't.

That doesn't mean Aegon cannot be a Blackfyre. He might still be one. But the colors of the dragons on the board - with Aegon having the white, not the black - aren't any additional hint in that direction imo.

2) Observe that the decisive move of the game is Tyrion 'flying his black dragon over a range of mountains.'

There is but one black dragon in ASOIAF and we all know who rides it. This move is strong foreshadowing of Dany & Drogon having a decisive role in the endgame imo.

That it's Tyrion who makes this move also hints at him ending up on team Dany imo.

Couldn't resist adding my 2 cents! Congratulations to an interesting OP! :)

Isn't there a mountain range not to far from Meereen? Dany could have already done that little foreshadowing by flying on black dragon over mountains near Meereen to Dorthraki Sea. Or could still come, perhaps the Vale?

Also, no blackfryes will have been killed by a dragon yet. Here is a good question- maybe the battle will take place by mountains which means dorne or vale regions

More likely the Vale I think

Isn't there a mountain range not to far from Meereen? Dany could have already done that little foreshadowing by flying on black dragon over mountains near Meereen to Dorthraki Sea. Or could still come, perhaps the Vale?

More likely the Vale I think

His power base will be in Dorne- We know from the mercy chapter he hasn't moved from SE yet. As much as Harys swyft knows anyway. So the questin is where does Daenerys vision take place? combining what we know of the shows vision and the fact that Cersei has all that wildfire in KL... I find it hard to believe that Aegon will take KL intact. Dorne might be the only place where he gets those dragon banners.... of course the vale is also possible.

Archived