4 Letters of ADwD

Mithras

no i know he lies, that is not part of the reason I think ramsay didnt write it. But what part of it 'sounds like' Ramsay in your opinion?

Well, he is rash and cruel and he likes to torture, demean and threaten the people who he perceives beneath himself.

the word "smear" instead of "button" suggests that the letter was opened, read and sealed again before it reached Jon. This was done with the cooperation of Clydas who acted under the orders of one or all of the following a) Bowen b) Thorne c) Selyse. My personal favorite is Selyse

Well, he is rash and cruel and he likes to torture, demean and threaten the people who he perceives beneath himself.

Yes I agree, Ramsay does do that stuff. My thing is that the phrases like 'bastard' or 'your false king' are phrases that Ramsay has never once used during his dialogue in the books, so that's why I don't think it's him.

Yes I agree, Ramsay does do that stuff. My thing is that the phrases like 'bastard' or 'your false king' are phrases that Ramsay has never once used during his dialogue in the books, so that's why I don't think it's him.

Have we seen him refer to another bastard or one of the kings before that?

IMO, Ramsay calling Jon "bastard" fits perfectly with his character - he apparently has a "bastard complex" himself and he is now gloating and demeaning Jon by calling him that, while refering to himself as not only Trueborn, but also as "Lord of Winterfell" (to rub even more salt in the wound).

Have we seen him refer to another bastard or one of the kings before that?

IMO, Ramsay calling Jon "bastard" fits perfectly with his character - he apparently has a "bastard complex" himself and he is now gloating and demeaning Jon by calling him that, while calling himself not only Trueborn, but also "Lord of Winterfell" (to rub even more salt in the wound).

during the theon chapter at WF with the boltons, Stannis is slowly marching towards WF, everyone is talking about Stannis getting closer to WF, they know he is coming. I dont have the book with me, but I would have to assume Ramsay and Roose mention Stannis a few times, but they never refer to him as 'the false king'. And Ramsay just has issues with the word 'bastard' so I don't think he would call Jon that, fRattleshirt(Mance) however calls Jon 'bastard' like 5 or 6 times before leaving the wall in the exact same way the letter does.

It seems more than obvious to me that Mance wrote the Pink letter. He wrote it in a way that would rile Jon up hard core and give him no choice but to come to Winterfell. Ramsay did not write the Pink letter, look at the style and the words he uses, the Pink letter is not the same as the others Ramsay definitely wrote. Also;

1. Ramsay does not like the word Bastard

2. Ramsay does not call Jon 'bastard' in any other letters

3. To my knowledge Ramsay never refers to anyone as bastard during any of his dialogue (I could be wrong about that)

4. When Mance was at at the wall disguised as Rattleshirt he calls Jon 'bastard' several times in exactly the same way as the letter.

5. Mance would have every bit of info that was in the letter, and very few others would have all that info.

6. there was a 'smear' of pink wax used instead of a button, that is because it is not the same person doing it, possibly it was done in haste.

7. Ramsay doesnt ever refer to Stannis as 'the false king' during his time at winterfell when Stannis is marching towards them.

There is also this exchange from when Jon was convincing Mance that he had turned his cloak that might give some significance to the word bastard...

Jon took another swallow of mead. There is only one tale that he might believe. “You say you were at Winterfell, the night my father feasted King Robert.”

“I did say it, for I was.”

“Then you saw us all. Prince Joffrey and Prince Tommen, Princess Myrcella, my brothers Robb and Bran and Rickon, my sisters Arya and Sansa. You saw them walk the center aisle with every eye upon them and take their seats at the table just below the dais where the king and queen were seated.”

“I remember.”

“And did you see where I was seated, Mance?” He leaned forward. “Did you see where they put the bastard?” Mance Rayder looked at Jon’s face for a long moment. “I think we had best find you a new cloak,” the king said , holding out his hand.

I'm not convinced that Ramsay did not write the letter, but I do think a Mance forgery is a possibility.

the word "smear" instead of "button" suggests that the letter was opened, read and sealed again before it reached Jon. This was done with the cooperation of Clydas who acted under the orders of one or all of the following a) Bowen B) Thorne c) Selyse. My personal favorite is Selyse

This is an interesting thought that had not occurred to me. It actually makes quite a bit of sense, regardless of who authored the letter.

Lady Gwynhyvfar & jet199 raise excellent points at the signatures of Ramsay's first 2 letters. And yes, great catch with regard to Whoresbane's early maester training. The 'Lord Dustin' detail had puzzled me as well and for me it could point at three things:

- Lady Dustin is only pretending her hate towards the Starks (hence 'missigning')...

-... Ramsay can NOT write or read... And this for me makes sense with regard to Ramsay's education by his lowborn mother.

- Therefore the 2 letters were written by Lady Dustin's maester (now Whoresbane or his maester are also a possibility, or almost any Northern House maester provided the GNC is true) and the spiky handwriting is his.

I should also point that I have always thought the 'Jon would have picked up a different handwriting' was somewhat (not entirely) irrelevant because Lords seldom write their letters themselves: I think there is a reason why we are shown Stannis amending his 'claim' letter with his maester's both in the books and the TV show.

My point being that, in any case, I do not think Ramsay wrote the Pink Letter himself. I can even think of a remote possibility where Ramsay is 'short' of maesters in Winterfell and asks the one man in Winterfell who surely can write with style... Abel the bard aka Mance, who then writes whatever he wants.

Btw, I just re-read the TWOW Theon sample chapter and I'm pretty convinced that the Pink Letter was written by Ramsay.

In your re-read, did you notice that line where Stannis says to Justin Massey:

"In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."

Seems pretty confident that word of his defeat may spread. Perhaps Stannis wrote that letter afterall for some reason not clear yet

In your re-read, did you notice that line where Stannis says to Justin Massey:

"In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."

Seems pretty confident that word of his defeat may spread. Perhaps Stannis wrote that letter afterall for some reason not clear yet

I did, but I disagree about the meaning of it. I think it shows that Stannis plans to pretend to be defeated in order to get into Winterfell.

We don't know enough to figure it all out clearly.

I've compared the letters before ,but not in such detail , so I think this thread is very helpful. ( I predict we still won't all agree, though..) ;)

Really, Stannis knows Mance is alive... there are many clues to this when you read all of Jon and Stannis' early conversations, the Mel chapter and the scene where Stannis gives "Rattleshirt" to Jon.. and apply what we know of Stannis' character.

Stannis agrees Mance would be useful, but can't seem to see a way to keep him without alienating the Watch.He also wants to convince the wildlings that joining him is now their only option.. Neither NW nor wildlings trust Rattleshirt and he's acted as Slynt's pawn ( and we know what Stannis thinks of Slynt ). Stannis wants to be seen to do firm justice , but also wants to protect an important asset ... Mel's glamour on Mance ( like the one on his sword) gives him a way to have his cake and eat it too. ...You need to accept that as a possibility ( if only for the sake of argument) to be able to fully scrutinize the letters. ( you can still reject it after , or it may not change your mind, anyway )

Just a few points about Jon's first letter .. when Jon unrolls his first letter, it's obvious to me that it's been rolled from top to bottom ... and unrolls from bottom to top ,because the first thing Jon notices is Ramsay's signature . He doesn't take note that the body of the letter is written in the brown flaky substance and spiky hand, only Ramsay's signature. (I think that's a pointed omission on the part of GRRM ) I'm sure Jon would have noticed if it included a claim to be written in the blood of ironmen. And if Ramsay's signature was the only part written in blood, it would be less likely that Jon would recognize it right away .

Ryswells...I always assumed at least some of the Ryswell sons had holds of their own , because of the different coloured horses on their banners. IIRC, someone ( Roose ?..Ramsay ? ) makes a bit of a snide comment about it to the effect that they couldn't even agree on that..?? ( Need to check)..But that might account for all of them signing.( They may have insisted ). OTOH , Lord Stout is a bannerman of Barbrey Dustin , and is situated so close to Barrowton , it may not have been deemed necessary for him to sign ..or he may have been "busy" elsewhere , as Jonelle Cerwyn seems to be later ( GNC activities ? ), but this gets me to thinking..

As mentioned, the timeline seems weird, and the difference of Barrowton and Winterfell as the location of the wedding raises questions. According to the gossip overheard by Davos in White harbour..

The Ryswells and the Dustins had surprised the ironmen on the Fever River and put their longships to the torch. ....... And now the Bastard of Bolton was riding south with Hother Umber to join them for an attack on Moat Cailin. “The Whoresbane his own self,” claimed a riverman who’d just brought a load of hides and timber down the White Knife, “with three hundred spear-men and a hundred archers. Some Hornwood men have joined them, and Cerwyns too.”

Here's how we see an armed force of any size travel..they will have ravens with them for the places / people they want to send news to. The Dustins and Ryswells were elsewhere , but some Cerwyns were with Ramsay. All Roose's "allies" would have known Roose was bringing "Arya" and there was to be a wedding . It was already planned to be at Barrowton . We know Jonelle Cerwyn was in Barrowton when the letter was signed, and the Ryswells might also be expected to rendezvous there ahead of time.

It didn't appear to me that Ramsay went to Barrowton or anywhere else before meeting Roose.

Ramsay may or may not have known of Jon's election , but may at least have known that Stannis was at the wall. There is no mention of an addressee on the first letter . Standard procedure is for the maester to deliver official messages to whoever is in charge ... it may have been thought that Stannis would recieve it, if he'd taken control ... or whoever the LC was.

The body of the letter may well have been written by a maester ( all the more official looking? ) "signed" by Ramsay and Hother and forwarded to Barrowton for the extra signatures... ( in this case, the wax would not be a problem. It could have been provided.) ..and a brief description of the outcome of Moat Caillin could be included.

The Dreadfort maester was with Karstark , but the Hornwood maester could have been at Ramsay's disposal. ( depending on when Roose had demanded Manderly hand Hornwood back )..or even the Cerwyn maester might have been with them...

A cruder hand had drawn the giant of House Umber.

I've often wondered about the "crudely drawn giant" . Though Jon takes note of the Umber giant last, that doesn't necessarily mean it was the bottom signature.. One thought occurs..could it's explanation be along the lines of, not using one's actual signature , in order to have the satisfaction of knowing you didn't really endorse Bolton behaviour ? If you didn't really sign , can you truly be accused of turning your cloak later ?

Ramsay likes to flaunt his claim to lordship wherever possible.. but once Roose came north , Roose would be the one issuing proclamations, summonings etc. .. Since the LC owed no fealty to Roose , he would not be summoned anywhere, only notified. In fact , I tend to think that Roose would have waited until the marriage was a fait accompli before notifying the wall.. ( I think Ramsay may have jumped the gun on him )...When plans changed , it wouldn't be important to send another letter correcting the location , because the LC cannot have been expected to attend.

Ramsay could not have expected to be installed at Winterfell. After all , he was the one who left it in ruin. For this reason , I think Asha's ( and Dagmer's ? ) letter was sent after Roose's arrival, and that in this case Roose would approve. He doesn't mind , even contributes to Ramsay being seen as a scary character when it suits him... and I think it would suit him if he could scare Asha and Dagmer into retreating. Roose always has an eye out to save his own forces.

I'll have to come back on the Pink letter...

ETA: that makes my order so far...

1) 1st letter to Jon written first from the field , by a maester for formal tone and effect . Signed by Ramsay & Whoresbane ; sent ( including wax ) to Barrowton ,for Barbrey, Jonelle and Ryswell signatures ; sent to Castle Black.

2) Asha's letter ( and maybe one for Dagmer) written after Roose arrives , with his approval.

Also, one of the first things people noticed about Ramsay's previous letters was the spiky writing. Jon may have saw it in the pink letter and not thought anything because he had seen it before but what about Tormund? He can't read but why wouldn't he notice the spiky writing like everyone else?

There is also this exchange from when Jon was convincing Mance that he had turned his cloak that might give some significance to the word bastard...

I'm not convinced that Ramsay did not write the letter, but I do think a Mance forgery is a possibility.

What really caught my attention was the "then you saw us all part" and "I remember". Could he have remembered Arya's face since then? I think so, he's obsessed with Bael who's to say he wasn't checking out Sansa and Arya? Jeyne is supposed to be pretty while Arya is called horse face. I think he'd make a mental note of that.

when I first read this I thought it was crazy, now I'm convinced its Mance pulling a Little Finger. He's doing just like LF and using plausible info to frame people and instigate a fight, I wouldn't be shocked if LF wrote the letter...

I'm little confused as to why he (Ramsay) would sign as Lord of Winterfell, isn't that Roose's title?

1. Ramsay does not like the word Bastard

“Oh, leave him be,” said Ramsay. “Just see to Blood. I rode the bastard hard.”

Ramsay does not like being called bastard and that is it. He uses the word.

2. Ramsay does not call Jon 'bastard' in any other letters

Ramsay Bolton, Lord of the Hornwood, it read, in a huge, spiky hand.

Bastard, was the only word written outside the scroll. No Lord Snow or Jon Snow or Lord Commander.

The title of the receiver of Letter 2 is not given. It must be one of Lord Snow or Jon Snow or Lord Commander. These are the ones Jon normally expects and takes note when they are absent. I think the first letter of Ramsay to Jon was titled Jon Snow. This is a polite way of calling Jon a bastard as he signed the letter as Ramsay Bolton. The other titles are normallly used by the NW.

3. To my knowledge Ramsay never refers to anyone as bastard during any of his dialogue (I could be wrong about that)

“Oh, leave him be,” said Ramsay. “Just see to Blood. I rode the bastard hard.”

Ramsay does not like being called bastard and that is it. He uses the word.

ETA:

“Haven’t fucked no one since they took me, m’lord. Heke’s me true name. I was in service to the Bastard o’ the Dreadfort till the Starks give him an arrow in the back for a wedding gift.”

4. When Mance was at the wall disguised as Rattleshirt he calls Jon 'bastard' several times in exactly the same way as the letter.

Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it.

“You can stick your order up your bastard’s arse,” said Slynt, his jowls quivering.

“This had best not be some bastard’s trick. Will I trade three hundred fighters for three thousand? Aye, I will. I am not an utter fool. If I leave the girl with you as well, do I have your word that you will keep our princess closely?”

There is no way I can help her. I put all kin aside when I said my words. If one of my men told me his sister was in peril, I would tell him that was no concern of his. Once a man had said the words his blood was black. Black as a bastard’s heart.

When he heard the order, Ser Alliser’s mouth twisted into a semblance of a smile, but his eyes remained as cold and hard as flint. “So the bastard boy sends me out to die.”

There is no specific way of calling Jon a bastard. This cannot be used to pinpoint the letter to Mance. I dug up these from ADwD only. And I did not search all the quotes in the book.

5. Mance would have every bit of info that was in the letter, and very few others would have all that info.

Stannis knows all of them too. As bemused is trying to tell it everywhere, Stannis knows the Mance glamor. Mance does not wear glamor in Winterfell. So his description is known to Stannis through Theon.

“I could give you guides.”

“Could?” Stannis missed little. “Or will?”

Squirrel answered for herself. “Out a window, and straight down to the godswood. I was twelve the first time my brother took me raiding south o’ your Wall. That’s where I got my name. My brother said I looked like a squirrel running up a tree. I’ve done that Wall six times since, over and back again. I think I can climb down some stone tower.”

Theon knows that at least one of his women was a spearwife. From Osha, he has a close understanding of spearwives so he might have guessed that some of the other women might be spearwives too. And Stannis can deduce that much from interrogating Theon.

6. there was a 'smear' of pink wax used instead of a button, that is because it is not the same person doing it, possibly it was done in haste.

This can be equally applied to Stannis or any other person.

7. Ramsay doesnt ever refer to Stannis as 'the false king' during his time at winterfell when Stannis is marching towards them.

“FREE FOLK! Your false gods cannot help you. Your false horn did not save you. Your false king brought you only death, despair, defeat … but here stands the true king [stannis]. BEHOLD HIS GLORY!”

“If not, there are the silent sisters.” Lord Wyman shifted in his seat. “As for you, Onion Knight, I have heard sufficient treason for one day. You would have me risk my city for a false king and a false god. You would have me risk my city for a false king and a false god. You would have me sacrifice my only living son so Stannis Baratheon can plant his puckered arse upon a throne to which he has no right. I will not do it. Not for you. Not for your lord. Not for any man.”

“Our false king has a prickly manner,” Melisandre told Jon Snow, “but he will not betray you. We hold his son, remember. And he owes you his very life.”

“Me?” Snow sounded startled.

“Who else, my lord? Only his life’s blood could pay for his crimes, your laws said, and Stannis Baratheon is not a man to go against the law … but as you said so sagely, the laws of men end at the Wall. I told you that the Lord of Light would hear your prayers. You wanted a way to save your little sister and still hold fast to the honor that means so much to you, to the vows you swore before your wooden god.” She pointed with a pale finger. “There he stands, Lord Snow. Arya’s deliverance. A gift from the Lord of Light … and me.”

“The realm is full of kings.”

“These false kings [including Stannis] espouse false gods,” she [Cersei] reminded him. “Only King Tommen defends the Holy Faith.”

“They will not.” Melisandre’s voice was soft. “I am sorry, Your Grace [stannis]. This is not an end. More false kings will soon rise to take up the crowns of those who’ve died.”

“I [stannis] saw you burn some leeches.”

“And two false kings are dead.”

“Others might serve your needs as well. Eddard Stark’s son has been proclaimed King in the North, with all the power of Winterfell and Riverrun behind him.”

“A green boy,” said Stannis, “and another false king. Am I to accept a broken realm?”

Now tell me honestly. Does the usage of false king points to Mance or Stannis?

Yes, plus the wording of the letter that very much sounds like Wildling or Mance: 'black crows', 'for all the North to see', 'cut out your heart and eat it' for instance. And I also find the reference to a 'cloak' and 'six skins' very much like Mance winking to Jon (or Tormund?) 'hey, it's me Mance really, not Ramsay'...

Ser Brynden laughed again. “Much as I would welcome the chance to take that golden sword away from you and cut out your black heart, your promises are worthless.”

Cut out your heart is not a wildling phrase. In fact, all the Westerosi like to cut out eyes, hearts, livers etc. There are many references with these phrases.

He did more than that. The Starks were not like other men. Ned brought his bastard home with him, and called him “son” for all the north to see. When the wars were over at last, and Catelyn rode to Winterfell, Jon and his wet nurse had already taken up residence.

“Any man of the Night’s Watch is welcome here at Winterfell for as long as he wishes to stay,” Robb was saying with the voice of Robb the Lord. His sword was across his knees, the steel bare for all the world to see. Even Bran knew what it meant to greet a guest with an unsheathed sword.

In the end it took three of them to pull her away. And it was all for nothing. The bedclothes were burnt, but by the time they carried her off her thighs were bloody again. It was as if her own body had betrayed her to Joffrey, unfurling a banner of Lannister crimson for all the world to see.

“If I’d let kingslaying become a habit, as he liked to say, I could have taken you as my wife for all the world to see. I’m not ashamed of loving you, only of the things I’ve done to hide it. That boy at Winterfell . . .”

“No.” The wildling grinned at him through a mouth of brown and broken teeth. “He burned the man he had to burn, for all the world to see. We all do what we have to do, Snow. Even kings.”

On the day that he returned from his latest sortie, he had tossed the head of a Yunkish lord at her feet and kissed her in the hall for all the world to see, until Barristan Selmy pulled the two of them apart.

His Grace King Stannis was taking no chances on his prize escaping captivity. He meant to carry her to Winterfell, to display her there in chains for the lords of the north to see, the kraken’s daughter bound and broken, proof of his power.

You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies.

For all north/world to see is not a specific piece of phrase pointing Mance. It is used by everyone and everywhere.

ETA: more for all the...

“Lannister honor,” was all she said. She held up her hands for all the room to see. “His dagger left these scars. The blade he sent to open my son’s throat.”

She stood in her stirrups and raised the harpy’s fingers above her head for all the Unsullied to see.

“Extravagance has its uses. We must demonstrate the power and wealth of Casterly Rock for all the realm to see.”

“He roared out his guilt for all the court to hear,” the prince admitted. “Lord Tywin has promised us his head.”

Tyrion Lannister was sitting on the ledge above the door to the Great Hall, looking for all the world like a gargoyle.

Robert wore thick brown gloves and a heavy fur cloak with a hood that covered his ears, and looked for all the world like a bear sitting a horse.

ETA: that makes my order so far...

1) 1st letter to Jon written first from the field , by a maester for formal tone and effect . Signed by Ramsay & Whoresbane ; sent ( including wax ) to Barrowton ,for Barbrey, Jonelle and Ryswell signatures ; sent to Castle Black.

2) Asha's letter ( and maybe one for Dagmer) written after Roose arrives , with his approval.

bemused, I've been thinking about your suggestion here.

These are some quotes from ADwD I want to discuss:

“Your Grace, might I know if the Umbers have declared for you?”

“Half of them, and only if I meet this Crowfood’s price,” said Stannis, in an irritated tone. “He wants Mance Rayder’s skull for a drinking cup, and he wants a pardon for his brother, who has ridden south to join Bolton. Whoresbane, he’s called.”

[…]

“Does that surprise you? Good. What surprises one Snow may yet surprise another. The Bastard of Bolton has gone south, taking Hother Umber with him. On that Mors Umber and Arnolf Karstark are agreed. That can only mean a strike at Moat Cailin, to open the way for his lord father to return to the north. The bastard must think I am too busy with the wildlings to trouble him. Well and good. The boy has shown me his throat. I mean to rip it out. Roose Bolton may regain the north, but when he does he will find that his castle, herds, and harvest all belong to me. If I take the Dreadfort unawares—”

“You won’t,” Jon blurted.

Stannis raised a hand for silence. “Explain your meaning.”

[…]

“That will bring you to the Dreadfort,” said Jon, “but unless your host can outmarch a raven or a line of beacon fires, the castle will know of your approach. It will be an easy thing for Ramsay Bolton to cut off your retreat and leave you far from the Wall, without food or refuge, surrounded by your foes.”

“Only if he abandons his siege of Moat Cailin.”

“Moat Cailin will fall before you ever reach the Dreadfort. Once Lord Roose has joined his strength to Ramsay’s, they will have you outnumbered five to one.”

[…]

“If Roose Bolton should catch you beneath his walls with his main strength, it will be the end for all of you.”

[…]

“There are tidings that you need to hear. Lord Stannis has finally left the Wall.”

That got Ramsay halfway to his feet, a smile glistening on his wide, wet lips. “Is he marching on the Dreadfort?”

“He is not, alas. Arnolf does not understand it. He swears that he did all he could to bait the trap.”

“I wonder. Scratch a Karstark and you’ll find a Stark.”

“After the scratch the Young Wolf gave Lord Rickard, that may be somewhat less true than formerly. Be that as it may. Lord Stannis has taken Deepwood Motte from the ironmen and restored it to House Glover. Worse, the mountain clans have joined him, Wull and Norrey and Liddle and the rest. His strength is growing.”

[…]

“Let Stannis march on us. He is too cautious to come to Barrowton … but he must come to Winterfell. His clansmen will not abandon the daughter of their precious Ned to such as you. Stannis must march or lose them … and being the careful commander that he is, he will summon all his friends and allies when he marches. He will summon Arnolf Karstark.”

Ramsay licked his chapped lips. “And we’ll have him.”

Ramsay takes Hother with him to take Moat Cailin. He leaves Arnolf behind. Arnolf tries his best to lure Stannis to the trap at Dreadfort. It seems that Mors is not aware of Arnolf’s treachery. It is possible that even Hother does not know it.

Next we see that Roose gives the news of Stannis taking Deepwood Motte to Ramsay. Before that, they did not know that Stannis has left the Wall. This means they do not have a spy on the Wall. We also understand that Stannis did not say his intention to Arnolf. It is a wise move. So Stannis lets his men know no more than they need to know. He did not need Arnolf in Deepwood so he did not send a message to him. However, he needs him at Winterfell so he sent for him from Deepwood. Similarly, he sent the word to Mors from Deepwood to come to Winterfell.

Since Roose is the one mentioning Arnolf’s report to Ramsay, I think it is more likely that Roose was calling the shots and attending to the messages even before the fall of Moat Cailin. Ramsay used Theon to take Moat Cailin without suffering any losses. I think Roose sent a raven to him suggesting to use Theon. We know that he used Theon again in the wedding. So the plan of Moat Cailin and trap in Dreadfort was all Roose's doing.

I think, the first letter to Jon was written soon after the fall of Moat Cailin. After all, blood cannot be kept too long. The letter was meant to push Stannis into action and leave the Wall. They were thinking that Stannis was still at the Wall. They did not know he left until he took Deepwood. According to Roose, whatever Stannis would do, he would summon Arnolf and that would be the end of him. That is why, this letter stinks Roose Bolton all over it.

That is why, this letter stinks Roose Bolton all over it.

You mean the first letter, or the Pink letter?

I don't understand why would Roose want to goad Jon to attack him. I mean, he is a cold, cunning and calculating man - why would he want to destroy the Night's Watch, when they aren't a threat to him once Stannis is dead?

Alternatively, if Stannis isn't dead, why would Roose want to make his forces even bigger by goading the NW to join him against Winterfell?

And, the question of the day - does Roose know that the Wildlings are being permitted to settle south of the Wall? Because if he does, that may explain why he wants to lure the NW (and Jon in particular) before they have a chance to become stronger.

Just for the record, my opinion hasn't changed - I think that the letter was written by Ramsay (based on the information from the Theon sample chapter).

Archived