New Trailer Coming

Westeros

After only lurking for maybe one and half year, I finally decided to register just to thank Rickon of the North, King Tommen, Mr. Fixit, DaveyJoe, Khal-a-bunga and some others for all their posts written after quoted one from Rickon. Good job guys.

You're welcome. Now, if we're to stem the tide, we'll need all the help we can get. Stay and share the fire with us. :cheers:

I always wondered if they were able to shave properly in Winterfell once they were snowed in. make sense for them to have a beard when winter is coming....

Hear, hear. Maybe when Jaime heads up north, he will grow his beard back. And like you say, winter is coming, for everyone.

There's a new Vanity Fair interview clip up where they're asked to give their characters advice. I can't post links an AFOIAF but its pretty entertaining. Sophie Turner's advice to Sansa is to not trust "creepy old men". I thought Le Cygne would like that.

BlackTree TV has recently uploaded interviews with Sophie and Isaac that they did at SAG awards.

Sophie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRd-kjzgHzQ

Isaac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peTj6rerM9o&list=UUHvnMsLnyQZscrq-fOckiiw

Sophie says Sansa's arc this season is the best and that Sansa "starts to manipulate the unmanipulatable". I definitely love the sound of that.

We've heard her talk about manipulating "those who have done her harm in the past" before, which pointed towards the Lannisters, but I think we all know who she means by this adjective. I always thought there was mutual manipulation going on in that dynamic, in the sense of her basically playing dumb and not revealing her feelings or thoughts, though that really comes more into play in AFFC.

I always wondered if they were able to shave properly in Winterfell once they were snowed in. make sense for them to have a beard when winter is coming....

ISTR reading Winterfell contained a natural hot spring so they always had warm water, even in the worst winters. So, they could probably shave, if they wanted to ;).

BlackTree TV has recently uploaded interviews with Sophie and Isaac that they did at SAG awards.

Sophie says Sansa's arc this season is the best and that Sansa "starts to manipulate the unmanipulatable". I definitely love the sound of that.

We've heard her talk about manipulating "those who have done her harm in the past" before, which pointed towards the Lannisters, but I think we all know who she means by this adjective. I always thought there was mutual manipulation going on in that dynamic, in the sense of her basically playing dumb and not revealing her feelings or thoughts, though that really comes more into play in AFFC.

I agree with Annara Snow that Sansa isn't just a passive victim of LF and is NOT blindly accepting everything he says as gospel, but certainly is keeping her real thoughts about him hidden. At one point she even thinks "Littlefinger had not lifted his little finger to help her" before engineering her "escape". The problem I see with much of the GOT adaptation, however, is really bringing the characters' internal thoughts out to the viewer. The books make it obvious that Sansa is "playing dumb" a lot, but certainly her S3 character arc seemed to show her just BEING dumb, even more so than in S2, when at least she got a fair amount of snarky verbal barbs in that flew over the heads of Joff and others, but landed with the audience.

I even recall someone stating that earlier positive remarks Sophie made about Sansa in S3 were obviously just fed to her by the showrunners and not her real thoughts, and therefore, discounting the comments she's made about S4. Certainly, it seems many Sansa fans fear that S4 will just show Sansa as a prop for LF, not a character with her own agency and agenda separate from LFs.

One issue I have with the show in general, that even when the showrunners (+ Cogman, who isn't a showrunner but does interact with fans a lot), seem to have intentions of exploring characters internal thoughts and struggles, they don't always execute that well. Re the whole debate about the Robb/Talisa arc in S2 that sidetracked this topic earlier, I actually HAVE read what they were trying to do with Show!Robb's arc. I recall statements by GOT people that Robb's S2 arc was supposed to show his inner conflict between love and duty. The problem is that, at least to me, that inner conflict was NOT apparent to me in the actual show. I didn't get the sense that Robb felt any inner conflict at all, but that he just went full speed ahead in the direction of "true love". I didn't get the sense that he paid any heed to Catelyn's objections and concerns in the first place, as opposed to the idea that he tried to follow them at first and only rejected them once Cat released Jaime and he came to see her as a hypocrite.

That's not a "book purism" issue, it's an issue of the showrunners failing to deliver not just on what GRRM initially meant to convey in the books, but failing to execute their own stated goals. That's something I think is fair game for criticism. I don't call out changes just for being changes, there are many I agree with or understand, such as aging up the Stark kids and Dany, or toning down the ridiculous aspects of characters such as Jaqen (half-red, half-white hair turned into just a lock of white hair), Daario (neither versions have blue hair or gold-tipped 'staches), or even just totally reworking characters such as Vargo Hoat into Locke.

So, to me this idea that any critique of the show is automatically invalid and makes that person a "book purist" who can be dismissed, is just as extreme as the idea that "D+D butchered GRRM's masterpiece and any random fan would have done a better job".

Eh, grain of salt. Prior to the Season 3 premiere, Sophie Turner said some similarly vague and encouraging things about Sansa growing as a character and learning the game of thrones in Season 3, where she seemed pretty dim at times, honestly, almost as if the character had regressed from Season 2 (not that Sansa in either her TV or ASOIAF incarnation has ever been any kind of brain trust). We shall see.

I am curious to see how the writers maneuver to convey the divide between the lines Sansa feeds LF and her true feelings of wariness and distrust, now that she has no confidants. A lot will depend of necessity on Sophie Turner's acting ability, I suppose.

The books make it obvious that Sansa is "playing dumb" a lot, but certainly her S3 character arc seemed to show her just BEING dumb, even more so than in S2, when at least she got a fair amount of snarky verbal barbs in that flew over the heads of Joff and others, but landed with the audience.

Turner said in one of her interviews that she views Sansa's various comments last season as pretending to be dumb so that people will overlook her, which I guess must be her attempt to square things with the book (since she read them), because nothing in the way those scenes are written or shot suggests that.

Well, season 3 was the first half of book 3 and even I thought that when she was around Margaery in the book she was sort of unlearning some hard-earned life lessons until she left with LF. The way they're probably gonna convey her weariness is by having her stare at the ceiling of her chambers and having some sleepless nights or something like that. Visual clues are always better.

Archived