[Spoilers] Official Dark Souls 2 Thread - Prepare to Die... again.

aceluby

A few early impressions of the story. All speculation as I'm not far enough to really know anything.

1) Drangleik looks an aweful lot like a decayed Anor Londo. Considering that the game was originally going to be 'and undead's journey to Lordran,' I think that's a fair assumption. But it was also supposed to be a prequel, so maybe the final destination has changed too.

2) The Dark Soul seems to be pretty much gone from the world. Likely due to hundreds of years of undead feeding it back into the fire. Which would explain the games lack of Humanity. And Human Effigies (crystalized Humanity) are so rare because they're jsut the ones that got missed. And with scores of desperate undead, they didn't miss too many.

3) The Firekeepers. My first thought was that they are the 3 missing daughters of Izalith. "The used to be a fourth," does make me cast a doubt though. Why not, "there used to be four more?" Well, maybe because only one of the others was a Firekeeper: the Fair Lady. She was poisoned and maintaining from Humanities the undead of the Chaos Covenant would bring her. She may have survived for a long time, but died once Humanited grew scarce. I think there's still a fair chance that that's who they are.

I doubt it'd ruin anything, but I'll spoiler just in case anybody doesn't want to know.

You get the blacksmith's key from a vendor at the 2nd bonfire in the Forest of the Giants.

There is a fire sword in the Forest as well. Don't remember where exactly. It's helpful against the first boss, but not really that special otherwise.

When you open his shop, the blacksmith sells some decent enough weapons. Falchion, halberd, mace. Some others that may work depending on what type of build you're going for. Not great weapons though. And maybe not even better than your starting weapon.

The fire sword scales with Int. For my mage build it has been a savior, though I need some more large titanite shards.

I'm finding it very difficult to put together any sort of a build. I'm at SL 46 and my stats are still a mess. I've had to put a bunch of points into Vitality to counter the half HP state that I'm usually in. A bunch into Vigor too (I think that was it?) so I could equip some better armor. I've sunk enough into Dex to use a bow, but still short on strength to equip my halberd. I've got a 'Faith' character but haven't been able to put any points into Faith yet. I've also got almost nothing in Endurance.

At this point in DS1 I'd already have my weapon minimums set and be pumping a fair amount into Vitality, Endurance and Faith. A little under developed, but still clearly a focused build.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I pumped my min Str and Dex to wield a shortsword, put enough into ATT to get 4 spells (would like at least one more), and then pumped my INT to 40, but even with that I'm doing meagre damage in the Sinner's level while absolutely destroying the level before. I'm thinking I need to go back and find another path to move down.

I'm in the same boat regarding builds. Don't have the benefit of fully fleshed out upgrade charts for each and every weapon to know exactly what to use so I'm just kind of dicking around for now. I didn't know about respec but oh well, already made a Cleric and cleared out the Forest of Giants, finally found where the pursuer is. Going to take him on later. Trying to decide between the starting mace or the halberd as my main weapon for now. But I might want to use a greathammer or greatsword later. So many decisions :P

The Tower in the middle of Majula. Yeah, I couldn't get in there. I need a lever or something to open the door. I could use a miracle vendor.

I'm just going to wander around some more. Try to put some more points into Endurance to help me against the Sentinels.

My guess would be that the silver armor is for regular dragon knights, and Ornstein's was gold to denote his rank as captain. So this guy is probably not him.

You mean the while knight who's sitting in the Forest? He does look very Solaire like. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't have killed him.

There's a miracle vendor after the dragon rider boss, right next to the bonfire. Regarding Dragonslayer, he drops the Leo ring after you kill him. The same ring Ornstein drops in DkS1. Each of the four knights of Gwyn was given a unique ring, so he is most likely Ornstein.

I had to look up how to get into Heide's Tower. Now I feel stupid. :blushing:

Has anyone found a way to check your death count? I found the global count on the spire in Majula (over 12 million last night). I figured the other side would have my personal count, but it just says that the writing can't be deciphered.

I'm in the same boat regarding builds. Don't have the benefit of fully fleshed out upgrade charts for each and every weapon to know exactly what to use so I'm just kind of dicking around for now. I didn't know about respec but oh well, already made a Cleric and cleared out the Forest of Giants, finally found where the pursuer is. Going to take him on later. Trying to decide between the starting mace or the halberd as my main weapon for now. But I might want to use a greathammer or greatsword later. So many decisions :P

AFAIK, Lightning scales to Faith, so that should be a good option. There's surely still a Divine upgrade path, and it looks like Dark has replaced Occult. Don't know how to get them yet.

There's a miracle vendor after the dragon rider boss, right next to the bonfire. Regarding Dragonslayer, he drops the Leo ring after you kill him. The same ring Ornstein drops in DkS1. Each of the four knights of Gwyn was given a unique ring, so he is most likely Ornstein.

I see. I haven't fought him yet, so maybe it is him. Reminds me of a theory that someone posed in a Youtube video (don't remember which video).

Musing that the 4 great souls we need to track down are those of the 4 knights of Gwynn. No evidence of it; just a bit of early speculation.

Did you get a great soul from him? Or is he just a minor boss?

I had to look up how to get into Heide's Tower. Now I feel stupid. :blushing:

Has anyone found a way to check your death count? I found the global count on the spire in Majula (over 12 million last night). I figured the other side would have my personal count, but it just says that the writing can't be deciphered.

AFAIK, Lightning scales to Faith, so that should be a good option. There's surely still a Divine upgrade path, and it looks like Dark has replaced Occult. Don't know how to get them yet.

I see. I haven't fought him yet, so maybe it is him. Reminds me of a theory that someone posed in a Youtube video (don't remember which video).

Musing that the 4 great souls we need to track down are those of the 4 knights of Gwynn. No evidence of it; just a bit of early speculation.

Did you get a great soul from him? Or is he just a minor boss?

He does not drop one of the 4 great souls

And yeah I have the sword from the first white knight guy in the Forest area (I can't remember what those knights are called) it does lightning damage and scales with faith so I've been using it as a secondary weapon. My mace is at +3 so it does more damage at the moment. I haven't gotten far enough to figure out how to do elemental/holy upgrades yet but I'll probably go for a Holy Mace of Undead Smiting & Skull Crackery +5 and a lightning halberd as my two main weapons.

I'm really bad at these games. In the last one if I died twice without recovering and lost thousands of souls I would just resign myself to grinding till I made it back. I'm getting that that's not always possible in this game because the enemies stop spawning after a time. Do you guys think it's possible to totally screw yourself by losing too many souls to death?

I'm really bad at these games. In the last one if I died twice without recovering and lost thousands of souls I would just resign myself to grinding till I made it back. I'm getting that that's not always possible in this game because the enemies stop spawning after a time. Do you guys think it's possible to totally screw yourself by losing too many souls to death?

I don't think so. If you really feel the need to grind back some of your souls, put your white soapstone down and help others. That's what I always do. For a first run through I like to:

1) Set out my white soapstone and help them out through the level and get a feeling for what I'm coming up against.

2) Once done, start heading through the level on my own

3) If I need more spells, I put my white soapstone down again (not needed for melee builds, will actually break your weapon faster...)

4) At the end of the level I help out with the boss until I feel comfortable taking it on myself.

5) Sometimes I'll level up at this point and spend all the souls I've accumulated, sometimes I just risk it.

I've already lost well over 100k souls and while frustrating, it hasn't really impacted my game at all.

I was always paranoid about losing blood stains in Demon's Souls and made liberal use of the sign out glitch.

In Dark Souls I learned that it really wasn't a big deal. It wasn't too much trouble to farm up some more. Just don't lose your payout from bosses.

I've already lost a couple of blood stains with thousands of souls. It's still not that big of a deal. You get some 10 or 15 enemy spawns per area, that's enough to keep your levels and gear at a good position if you need to do some extra farming.

I've gotten into the habit of going through the level a few times before taking on the boss. I still lose some blood stains in the process. But once I get a feel for the place I can get a few runs to gather souls and warp back to Majula to spend them. Also helps to make sure I don't miss anything. I probably still am though (stupid Heide's Tower lever!).

Aagh! I can't wait to get home! Stupid job!

And yeah I have the sword from the first white knight guy in the Forest area (I can't remember what those knights are called) it does lightning damage and scales with faith so I've been using it as a secondary weapon.

I didn't get anything from that guy. :bawl:

I already lost 50k souls and 75k souls in the last two days. Not really even phased at this point, just need to figure out where I need to go next since I know my current gear is crap for the Sinner level.

Some guy posted this map on the Dark Souls 2 subreddit, it just shows how all the zones are connected and where to find certain important things to help people who are stuck and can't figure out where to go. Pretty spoiler heavy.

There are some inaccuracies (there are only four large souls when the map shows 5, ignore the one above Cardinal Tower) but it seems pretty helpful for the most part. I'm going to pretend I didn't see it and just keep derping around until I figure things out personally. Link:

http://i.imgur.com/4UeHK2J.jpg

Came home early and took on the pursuer. Not too bad once you've got some levels under ya so you don't get one-shotted every time. Finally figured out how you got to Bastille w/out going through the pirate area, plus you get a bunch of extra stuff like keys and large titanite shards. Helped to upgrade my fire longsword to +4, though my damage is still pretty pitiful on anything past Bastille, even after pumping more stats into INT. Up to 45, but these large dudes in Sin land are seriously kicking my ass.

Some guy posted this map on the Dark Souls 2 subreddit, it just shows how all the zones are connected and where to find certain important things to help people who are stuck and can't figure out where to go. Pretty spoiler heavy.

There are some inaccuracies (there are only four large souls when the map shows 5, ignore the one above Cardinal Tower) but it seems pretty helpful for the most part. I'm going to pretend I didn't see it and just keep derping around until I figure things out personally. Link:

http://i.imgur.com/4UeHK2J.jpg

OMG, this was a lifesaver! Few spoilers, sure, but as someone who felt they exhausted all possible places to go next this was GOLD! At Huntsman Copse now.

Hah, I accidentally killed that other vendor. Maybe I should just restart....

I read that in this game you can still use this vendor, eventually.

The way I understood it was that the vendors spirit will be able to be summoned and you could still interact like normal, but it will cost you an amount of souls to this, everytime.

The devs said they did it this way so people wouldn't lose out on something for accidently killing someone, it would just be expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lnq44iwiVM&feature=share&list=UUe0DNp0mKMqrYVaTundyr9w&index=3

Figure I'll share this here, VaatiVidya's retrospective on Dark Souls. A fantastic explanation of what makes it such an amazing game and why it was made the way that it was. Definitely worth a watch.

Was just poking around on Reddit and found a (seemingly) helpful hint. When you find doors that are locked or "can't be opened from this side" try attacking them. Some of them are destructable, and sometimes an enemy on the other side may open it for you. Haven't tried it yet myself, but I'm going to run through the Forest again and see what works.

Also,ENB put up a video with some helpful information on some of the new mechancs. And a few hidden items. It only goes through the tutorial area, so it won't really spoil anything if you've already started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GartaU-2-2c

Most interesting was a brief eplanation on how upgrades work. There is only one upgrade path; everything goes to +10, then you add other attributes by using a specific stones. Also, armor can be modified to raise resitances to specific effects.

There's no difference in spell timing from a soul arrow, heavy soul arrow, and great soul arrow like the previous games. Not only that, but damage wise it goes like this:

soul arrow < heavy soul arrow < great soul arrow < great heavy soul arrow

I am wearing a ring that allows 'faster cast time', so that might be it, I didn't have time to test.

I also found soul spear which does 500+ damage per hit, but you only get two, luckily I have a ring that increases casts so I get 3 of those. Now I'm a damage MACHINE!

On a side note, my brother got this game w/out playing any of the others and he's so frustrated with it. He just wants to hack and slash and keeps getting his ass kicked because of it. He's giving it another week, but plans on returning it. I'm going to head over in the next few days to show him some tips and tricks so maybe he can have some fun with it.

Archived