[spoilers] The document Robb wrote

Ko Rakharo

Just before Robb visits the Twins for what would be the Red Wedding, he discusses the news on the war, including Manderly and Glover's recent arrest in the Narrow Sea, in the presence of Catelyn and Lords Umber, Bolton, Glover and Lady Mormont, right after speaking to Catelyn and Greatjon about legitimising Jon Snow. I assumed that document was Jon's be-a-Stark signature; of course it had no value once there was no King in the North anymore and Jon was later elected Lord Commander, but I wouldn't think of such an important document to be just a vague mention. What happened to it?

• 3 months later...

Martin is an amazing author without a doubt. IMO. However it seems that his emphasis on Robb's letter may come into importance later in the series. I'm not sure how, or why, but it does seem that as it's contents are not known, it is left open.

I think that's what makes Martin so good. As you can't assume anything in these books.

Since all the parties involved in drawing up the document are either dead or... I think wherever it is is invalid.

It's not invalid simply because the people who signed it are dead.

That document will most likely have some value in the future. During the chapter where it is signed, it is already mentioned what it will contain, though no specifics are described.

The official app gives more specifics:

and stated that Robb legitimized Jon and named him his heir with that document, to prevent Winterfell from falling into the hands of the Lannisters

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope that GRRM, brings up that letter again in WOW. Though, think that it will mean very little in the future. Winter is coming & in the end I don't think that heirs, etc... will mean to much of anything anymore.

I would love to see/read the reaction of Ramsay Bolton if that letter comes to light. He will truly loose his mind. Winterfell, he thinks will be his when Roose dies.

Not spoiling anything. Remember," ALL MEN MUST DIE". Just talking about the Letter that rob wrote & the difference of the 2 main Bastards in the book & how they are.

I do hope that the letter will show up again.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

(Please keep in mind I have only just finished Storm of Swords)

I do believe Jon will find out about the document towards the end of the series, I don't believe GRRM would have mentioned it if it wouldn't be important in the upcoming books (perhaps only the final two). I do think this will have an effect on Jon's storyline later on.

It's not invalid simply because the people who signed it are dead.

Very valid point!

That document will most likely have some value in the future. During the chapter where it is signed, it is already mentioned what it will contain, though no specifics are described.

The official app gives more specifics:

and stated that Robb legitimized Jon and named him his heir with that document, to prevent Winterfell from falling into the hands of the Lannisters

Exactly.

And we do not know the fate of the messengers nor whereabouts of the letter.

• 6 months later...

Mate, Jon is a Snow not a Stark. Besides, the Night's Watch cannot involve themselves in matters of the Realm.

Unless the night's watch need help from the northern armies to battle and push back the wights, if it gets to a battle, to protect the realm.

Jon is a stark. He has stark blood and is a warg.

I believe this can all be explained in a very good fan theory called The Great North Conspiracy. It is very detailed an very convincing. The news could quite easily make it to Jon and even if it doesn't the northern lords loyal to rob would uphold his words anyway.

Archived