True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

You beat me to it!

As for the final episode:

So, what was the deal with the room in Errol's house with the bathtub in the middle of the room and dozens of green-tree airfresheners?

I thought that was just another part where the kids we're removed of their clothing...... If I'm not mistaken there was blood in that room...... I could be wrong.....

@Commodore:

Man that NY Post article was whiny.

I'm pretty sure there are books where loose ends are left hanging. Heck, the New Weird genre relies on the idea of not resolving things.

I've long been strongly against the widespread judgment that fiction should provide closure, so criticism of True Detective on this front just makes me appreciate it even more. Not that I begrudge anyone for wanting more answers, but the show never promised them and it was always clearly foremost about the characters. I couldn't be happier with the character arcs of Rust and Marty. Their final scene is probably in my top 10 all-time.

I thought that was just another part where the kids we're removed of their clothing...... If I'm not mistaken there was blood in that room...... I could be wrong.....

Pretty much. The whole place was a hell house and I'm assuming shit went on in basically every inch of it. It looked like there was blankets set up so maybe they slept there?

A deleted scene where Rust and Laurie break up. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/12/true_detective_deleted_scene_rust_and_lori_break_up_watch_video.html

It has a pretty good line! “I don’t know if you’re mostly good and just a coward, or if you’re an asshole who’s a little smarter than most.”

Doing a bit of a rewatch, and I've reached episode 5. That transition to 2002 is absolutely chilling. The score, Marty's lines, and that tiara getting stuck in the tree all combine for an incredibly powerful scene. I was mesmerized, unlike the first time I saw it.

Love how much rewatch value this show has. The effect of Rust's daughter's death is far more apparent when watching the episodes consecutively, whereas it may have fallen into the background for me while the show was airing. In short, this show is incredible. No matter who is in s2, they have an incredibly high bar to reach.

Judging from the trailers, there are probably a few other deleted scenes that we'll get with the home video release. Like the shot of Hart & Cohle standing on either side of a bridge and watching as something floats past underneath.

And I'm already anxiously awaiting the episode commentaries. Also agree with the poster above: This one has a lot of re-watch value. I just went through the whole thing again earlier this week, and can definitely see myself doing so again before season two airs.

Doing a bit of a rewatch, and I've reached episode 5. That transition to 2002 is absolutely chilling. The score, Marty's lines, and that tiara getting stuck in the tree all combine for an incredibly powerful scene. I was mesmerized, unlike the first time I saw it.

Love how much rewatch value this show has. The effect of Rust's daughter's death is far more apparent when watching the episodes consecutively, whereas it may have fallen into the background for me while the show was airing. In short, this show is incredible. No matter who is in s2, they have an incredibly high bar to reach.

I agree but honestly I have faith in HBO

And yes Episode 5 is my favorite episode and I definitely see why it was NPs

Link for a more in depth interview with Brad Carter on What the Flick than I linked in the other thread.

He is an incredible guy.

Great interview, he's a really cool guy. Even though Matthew and Woody have said they're not coming back, I really hope they recycle some of the actors who played minor roles in the first season. Like Charlie Lange.

And y'know...Ginger.

Agree, that was an amazing episode and also my top one.

Third-ed, even if my quick succession re-watch made the whole thing feel very much of one piece. Still, my favorite moment of the series happens in this episode. Or sequence, really, where Hart & Cohle describe the events at Reggie's place up to the flash-forward to 2002.

A deleted scene where Rust and Laurie break up. http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/12/true_detective_deleted_scene_rust_and_lori_break_up_watch_video.html

It has a pretty good line! “I don’t know if you’re mostly good and just a coward, or if you’re an asshole who’s a little smarter than most.”

That's a good line but that scene just does not work for me and I'm glad they cut it. I'm glad that they never really delved into Rust's relationship with Laurie.

Rewatched the finale and I have to say I'm quite disappointed with it from a 'solving the case' perspective. The whole "hey remember 17 years ago where we talked to someone who had a fresh coat of green paint on their house? That MUST be it!". Seriously, they spent 10 min chasing this ridiculous lead to get to the bad guy after some of the best setup episodes ever. And yeah, the confrontation is heart pounding, but how did the voice carry like it did? Why even have that? How did the police know where to go? How long can someone be consious with a huge 4-6" gaping stomach wound?

After the rewatch the only thing I really enjoyed was Marty's reaction to his family being there for him and the 'crazy' scenes between Childress and his half sister, the rest... meh. Show seemed to peak at episode 4, plateau in ep 5 and steadily go down from there. Great overall, but somewhat disappointing given everything in the previous episodes. Then again, it's probably a similar feeling to Cohle who wanted to get everybody and wrap up the case, yet couldn't. Will do a rewatch of the entire season again when it releases on Blu-ray.

TRUE DETECTIVE TWO Chapter One: ‘Short Blue Light’

TITLE CREDITS.

FADE IN:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM - DAY

OPEN ON LYLE WARE staring directly at us, seated at a TABLE. He’s 87, tall, broad. He has thick gray hair, close- cropped, a hard face. He's tired but his eyes simmer-- and behind Ware is only a green plaster WALL, empty except for its upper right side, in which half a BULLETIN BOARD is in frame, and on it, half of a WANTED POSTER can be seen--

As LYLE stares at us, WORDS are typed into the bottom of the screen, courier typeface, to the SOUND of keys punching-

CHYRON: ‘Alaska State Police CID, Company D / Statement of Ware, Lyle / Present: Sgt. Thomas F. Papania Lousiana State Police CID, Sgt. Smithton Johannsen Alaska State Police CID / May, 2014’

WARE (into camera)

What’d I think? ...You know they called him hero for a while?.. Saved some kids down your way long time ago, missed the real killer, and went back and got him couple years ago I heard. You boys don't do your job down there huh? A beat, then he seems to speak as if in response to a question--

WARE (CONT’D)

Seemed spent to me. Always talking whether you listened or not. Got worse when he came back, said he'd seen his daughter. Didn't know he had one. Said she'd been dead then came back, or he came back. Not talking much sense. Anyway, I found him, or what's left of him month ago. Not sure how long he'd been there, I brought him his supplies. Looked like he was sleeping outside, always talking about the night sky. Should have been in the cabin in the summer few bears and all, knew better being from here, but he said they wouldn't bother him as they'd seen his eyes or something. Damn fool.

Anyway, time before that I'd picked up his mail and mailed the packages for him. Around the time that other fella called. Hart? But ya'll know that already. So what was in the packages huh? One was addressed to Hart ... other to you Papania Louisiana CID. That’s what you all really want to talk about, right? Why's a Bayou cop come up here to check on a bear attack? What you come up here for? What was in the packages? You already know.

Another beat as he seems to listen--

PAPANIA: Yeah we know. Did you know what was in the packages? He talk to you about that?

WARE: I seen 'em. Told him not to bother, didn't make all that much sense anyway. Told him nobody cared. Weren't nobody cared around here and nobody would.

PAPANIA: You seen my package? Seen what's in it?

WARE: Yes.

PAPANIA: You send a package to Hart? What address?

WARE: Don't matter.

PAPANIA: We'll get a warrant.

WARE: Don't matter. What you want with a warrant. Got the package right here, come back unopened with a nice letter. Too bad about him. He always talked highly of him. Man needs a friend, family ain't enough, ain't always a friend.

PAPANIA: (Takes package, leaves on table) Looks opened to me? Where's the letter?

WARE: Guess he opened before he died. Must have based on the letter.

PAPANIA: Where's the letter?

WARE: I burned it Det. Papania. Read it and burned it.

PAPANIA: What?

WARE: You believe in ghosts Det. Papania? If you do maybe I'll tell you what was in that letter, otherwise ain't gonna help you.

PAPANIA: And if I were to say I did?

WARE: Then maybe I got something to show you, but just you.

PAPANIA: Let's see it.

WARE: You never met him did you?

PAPANIA: Who?

WARE: My boy's friend, the one got converted, turned around his life.

PAPANIA: Yes I did, I met him, I worked with him and was a pallbearer for him.

WARE: No, not Hart. The other one.

PAPANIA: He only had 1 friend. Wasn't anybody else, just the way it was.

WARE: Well, you better find him because that's who got the third package, the one I was supposed to send if anything happened to my boy. Your boy here Johannsen knows (coughs deep and hard repeatedly) (drags on cigarette) ... ain't no bear killed my boy. So what you gonna do?

PAPANIA: Nothing for us to do. Medical examiner said it was a bear or heart attack. Who got the third package?

WARE: Finally the right f'in questions.

PAPANIA: Who?

WARE: You believe in ghosts Det. Papania? ... Johannsen does, that's why you're here. Third package went to a John Grainger.

INT. TEXAS STATE PENITENTIARY Interrogation Cell (‘2013’)

Maynard Gilbrough looks across table at an old man in shackles. Motions for the deputy to leave them.

Deputy: No sir, Grainger don't get left alone.

Gilbrough: Fine

Gilbrough to inmate: Why?

Inmate: (looks up through scraggled hair and beard with piercing eyes at Gilbrough) Why what?

Gilbrough: I don't know, you tell me. Let's start with why am I here? What'd you give him that got the parole board to rule for you? How the hell you even know him in the first place?

Inmate: Why should I tell you? He told me, not you.

Gilbrough: He told you? I want to know what you told him. I don't care what he told you.

Inmate: You ain't asking the right f'in questions. I don't know what he told the parole board. All I know is what he told me, and I don't see why I should tell you.

Gilbrough: (pauses) because he's dead Ginger and you owe a debt, that's why I'm here

Rewatched the finale and I have to say I'm quite disappointed with it from a 'solving the case' perspective. The whole "hey remember 17 years ago where we talked to someone who had a fresh coat of green paint on their house? That MUST be it!".

Rust. on why he takes so many pictures and notes, from episode 1...

“You never know what the thing’s gonna be, do you? That little detail somewhere way down the line that makes you go, oh. Breaks the case.”

Archived