True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

That's a good line but that scene just does not work for me and I'm glad they cut it. I'm glad that they never really delved into Rust's relationship with Laurie.

I like the ending of the scene. I tend to agree that Rust having a relationship seems hard to swallow. Maybe if we'd been treated to a scene where he admits he's pretending to be normal by having the relationship would have given this aspect of the story more substance.

The best thing about the scene is seeing how Rust's apartment looks when normal!

Rust. on why he takes so many pictures and notes, from episode 1...

I get what they were 'trying' to do. I just think it failed miserably. Not only in the green ears = green paint and linking that to a specific house painted green nearly two decades before, but the whole idea that they would spend days tracking down this 'lead', find an elderly lady who can't take care of herself give them details on what happened years before, who did the work (quick, what did the guy look like who installed your cable 5 years ago?), then be able to have leads that would take them to the very house all this stuff was happening. Everything else in this story is gritty, real, and at least somewhat plausibe, this was shot in the dark that happened to hit the target dead on. It takes away from all that setup IMO.

And to be completely honest here, I actually turned it off the 2nd time through once Cohle was stabbed and he was there bleeding for hours with nothing but a handkerchief. It was just too much at that point and as much of a fanboy as I've been for the show, that ending was just not very good. Not terrible, but nowhere near the caliber of the first 4-5 episodes. They set a high bar early and had a difficult time the last half keeping that bar high.

And to be completely honest here, I actually turned it off the 2nd time through once Cohle was stabbed and he was there bleeding for hours with nothing but a handkerchief. It was just too much at that point and as much of a fanboy as I've been for the show, that ending was just not very good. Not terrible, but nowhere near the caliber of the first 4-5 episodes. They set a high bar early and had a difficult time the last half keeping that bar high.

I agree that the final "breakthrough" with the green paint was pretty underwhelming. I feel like it would have been a lot better just to have a lucky, but more plausible breakthrough, like they are interrogating the Sherriff on the boat, he says he doesn't know anything, and to take it up with Childress, (who everyone suspects to be dead). Marty and Hart decide to do just that, and somehow find an old address for Childress that hasn't been expunged from the record. They go there to look for whatever they can find, but upon arrival, realize that they've found Carcosa.

I'll admit it isn't high drama, but it is totally plausible.

As for the "Cohle should have died from his knife wound", I can't say I'm with you there. We don't know how long he was waiting for Papa and Gilbaugh to arrive, only that it was light when Marty/Hart arrived and dark when the cavalry got there. Some of the shots of the chase give sort of the impression that dusk may be arriving. I find it hard to believe it would have taken them hours and hours to muster up reinforcements and arrive. Even if we assume that the Childress manor is pretty far, I think that an hour or two is more likely. And surviving an hour or two with an open knife wound? Totally plausible to me.

^ Agreed. Working in a hospital, I've actually seen people who have survived longer with worse injuries.

As for the paint... I honestly don't see the issue. More tenuous connections have been made in my own life that have led to revelations, of sorts. Just the way the human brain works. It's not like they knew for a certainty that the green paint would lead them to Childress. They got lucky. But to each their own.

So I was watching the What the Flick interview with Brad Carter, who plays Charlie Lange, and heard about his brain surgery during which he played guitar. He mentioned a kickstarter so I sought it out. During the video on the kickstarter I noticed that during his brain surgery at one point the doctors were testing the steadiness of his hand and he drew this.

This was months before TD, so I'm sure coincidental. Right? Right??

Doing a bit of a rewatch, and I've reached episode 5. That transition to 2002 is absolutely chilling. The score, Marty's lines, and that tiara getting stuck in the tree all combine for an incredibly powerful scene. I was mesmerized, unlike the first time I saw it.

Love how much rewatch value this show has. The effect of Rust's daughter's death is far more apparent when watching the episodes consecutively, whereas it may have fallen into the background for me while the show was airing. In short, this show is incredible. No matter who is in s2, they have an incredibly high bar to reach.

I have a feeling that this show is going to benefit hugely from a re-watch. Especially now that everyone can remove all the supernatural nonsense from their minds, and they can enjoy the story for what it was and was meant to be.

So I was watching the What the Flick interview with Brad Carter, who plays Charlie Lange, and heard about his brain surgery during which he played guitar. He mentioned a kickstarter so I sought it out. During the video on the kickstarter I noticed that during his brain surgery at one point the doctors were testing the steadiness of his hand and he drew this.

This was months before TD, so I'm sure coincidental. Right? Right??

Dun Dun Duuuuuunnn Living on the edge of Carcosa.

so the end of 7. in some ways, the lack of mystery (combined with the perfect foreshadowing) undercuts the reveals. so the end of 7 is kinda not great since it was obvious that the lawnmower guy was the guy with the scars at that point. but the when "lungs" came on to start the credits. damn. totally redeemed that moment.

I get what they were 'trying' to do. I just think it failed miserably. Not only in the green ears = green paint and linking that to a specific house painted green nearly two decades before, but the whole idea that they would spend days tracking down this 'lead', find an elderly lady who can't take care of herself give them details on what happened years before, who did the work (quick, what did the guy look like who installed your cable 5 years ago?), then be able to have leads that would take them to the very house all this stuff was happening. Everything else in this story is gritty, real, and at least somewhat plausibe, this was shot in the dark that happened to hit the target dead on. It takes away from all that setup IMO.

yeah, it was definitely an ineffective ending. in part because it was kind of a reverse of what the show had done before. in that it suddenly became the, 'all that matters is this guy" bit that earlier had been rejected. i liked 7 well enough but 8 was pretty weak

to quote matthew mcconaughey in another movie, "oh bogey"

So I just saw this.

Yeah, about the last episode, I think it was a bit of a cop-out to show us the perspective of the bad guy. All along til then we saw things from points of view of the major characters, or occasionally from the minor characters, and then we suddenly get a villain POV to showcase how creepy and disgusting he is. Oh, look, he's a total hillbilly! Oh man, he's having a weird incestuous relationship with an unattractive, potentially mentally handicapped woman! Oh man, he throws a pan at the dog! Oh gross, that toilet-tub! Look, look how disgusting and ugly and creepy the bad guy is!

And it just kind of broke the chain of realism as far as I'm concerned. TV shows and movies have an unwholesome tendency to portray 'good guys' as attractive, and/or intelligent; and the 'bad guys' are at least ugly in some way. He had scars, he was rotund; his wife was rotund too and very pale; Marty's wife was attractive and smart, Rust's girl was too, every other girl was attractive, just about every guy was good looking, except that one sherrif guy maybe - but he was only a minor villain, so he didn't need to be wholly disgusting. It's a horrible way of going about things, it leans on (and reinforces) the cultural cognitive crutch of "good = good looking" and "bad = bad looking." And also on the "serial killers look, and act at all times, strange and creepy" trend. It was very reminiscent of scenes from Silence of the Lambs where they'd go to Buffalo Bill and you're supposed to go "oh man, how gross! he's dressing in woman's clothing! oh man, his voice is all weird sounding too!" and that ties in with the accents the bad guy was doing too. Looks, acts, and talks weird. Is that how serial killers really are?

I was much more interested in not knowing for sure whether Rust was indeed a good man, or whether he was actually guilty himself. That would have been a cliche too ("the detective was investigating his own crimes all along!") but not as big a one, I think. But the ambiguity kept me hooked. In one of the early episodes he's talking with that prostitute and he mentions how since he's a cop he can do things "with impunity" and the scene cut right there, so it was not clear to me if he did or did not do something bad with impunity there. And I was hoping to know more about this whole philosophy of the flat-circle Carcosa ritualistic whatever too, see how that fit in with things. Instead it was just, a guy was weird and he said weird things, now he's dead yay. Kind of a let down.

But a good show all the same, I liked it very much.

Well, I edited them together into a single movie...and then watched the entire thing. It worked really nicely and was in some ways was more powerful without that week long release of tension that took place between episodes. You can also pay more attention to the masks of Rust and the circling repeating mistakes of Marty.

I loved how Marty was so concerned with if Rust held back in their fight from a decade ago. Ha

Mr. ES and I rewatched the finale last night and this also struck me. I'm not sure how I missed this the first time around, but I think I was more nervous about everything. Rewatching, I really got to appreciate the episode more.

Really the best thing I've seen on TV for years. As for the ending, simply it was the writer showing us a mirror. Here we were questioning everthing, assuming dark motives on the part of the two main leads and in the end it turns out they were simply good people doing an horrendous job, True detectives, the clue is in the name. This show was all about undermining audience perceptions, the ending was perfect.

As for the "Cohle should have died from his knife wound", I can't say I'm with you there. We don't know how long he was waiting for Papa and Gilbaugh to arrive, only that it was light when Marty/Hart arrived and dark when the cavalry got there. Some of the shots of the chase give sort of the impression that dusk may be arriving. I find it hard to believe it would have taken them hours and hours to muster up reinforcements and arrive. Even if we assume that the Childress manor is pretty far, I think that an hour or two is more likely. And surviving an hour or two with an open knife wound? Totally plausible to me.

I think we agree on the timing, but this is a guy who was stabbed in the gut and then lifted feet off the ground by a knife cutting upwards. I'm going to assume that there was at least a 4" gash and a close to zero chance of missing all organs not causing internal bleeding. To then sit there for over an hour, possibly 2 or 3 with no medical attention? I don't find it plausible at all. Heck, I was wondering how the hell Marty even survived it basically taking an axe to the chest, which would have caused some serious damage.

But really the problem wasn't just the knife or axe wounds, if that was the only thing I'd easily give it a pass like I did on my first viewing, the problem is the summation of everything leading up to the hospital. The 'bad guy', the interrogation, the sniper, the ridiculous lead, the echoing voice, the implausible rescue... the problem was it all together, not any indiviual thing. The only saving grace to me being the two scenes of Marty w/ his family, and Cohle with Marty. Loved those, but the rest of the episode was a constant 'really?' feeling after many episodes of very poignent and focused story telling utilizing the media in very intelligent ways. It left the last episode feeling sloppy in an otherwise 'best tv show ever made' caliber execution.

I think we agree on the timing, but this is a guy who was stabbed in the gut and then lifted feet off the ground by a knife cutting upwards. I'm going to assume that there was at least a 4" gash and a close to zero chance of missing all organs not causing internal bleeding. To then sit there for over an hour, possibly 2 or 3 with no medical attention? I don't find it plausible at all. Heck, I was wondering how the hell Marty even survived it basically taking an axe to the chest, which would have caused some serious damage.

But really the problem wasn't just the knife or axe wounds, if that was the only thing I'd easily give it a pass like I did on my first viewing, the problem is the summation of everything leading up to the hospital. The 'bad guy', the interrogation, the sniper, the ridiculous lead, the echoing voice, the implausible rescue... the problem was it all together, not any indiviual thing. The only saving grace to me being the two scenes of Marty w/ his family, and Cohle with Marty. Loved those, but the rest of the episode was a constant 'really?' feeling after many episodes of very poignent and focused story telling utilizing the media in very intelligent ways. It left the last episode feeling sloppy in an otherwise 'best tv show ever made' caliber execution.

A straight wound to the gut could have missed all major organs. You can live for days with a bleeding gut wound. If he hit the aorta he'd be dead in seconds. Hitting the kidneys is unlikely given where they're positioned. That leaves the liver, spleen, pancreas and bowel. So lets assume he hit the bowel only, not fatal but risk of septic shock for obvious reasons but could take hours or even days to exhibit. Rush him to a theatre, cut out the dead bowel, sew him back up, pump him full of antibiotics and feed him intravenously then yes he'd live.

Archived